BR175 - Replace Hull-Deck screws with bolts?-gctid815408

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BR175 - Replace Hull-Deck screws with bolts?-gctid815408

Anyone ever do this? A few of the screws on mine seem loose (vibrating at certain rpms) and I'm thinking about replacing them with SS bolts, washers, nuts. I read an article in a magazine about this being a better way to build boats and the higher end builders do it this way. Unlike other boats, I think it would be easy to access the back side of these fasteners on a Bayliner 175 and possibly easy to change out?

Thoughts?

If you can get to them easily enough sure. I haven't checked mine in my 2008 BR175 to see how easy they are to get to. You would have to use lock washers under the nuts.

Use stainless steel bolts and lock washers with chrome plated brass nuts. It is very hard to use stainless nuts with stainless bolts because they seize quickly. If you buy kits of stainless bolts and nuts they are usually pre-packaged that way, but if buying the items independently ... it's a common mistake to try and use stainless nuts and bolts together and then NOT have tight joints.
    Frank Hagan
    2008 Bayliner BR-175
    1999 West Wight Potter 19' (sailboat)
    2000 Stevenson's Weekender 15' (home built sailboat)
    Oxnard / Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Comment

Thank you for your knowledge. I would have bought all stainless, not knowing.

Comment

All my boats have had 100s of stainless bolts with stainless lock nuts. In many years of working on them I've had exactly one seize on a bolt. This is a non-issue.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

what about using nylock stainless nuts - so you don't have to use lock washers?
          Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

Stainless galling is very real but it is basically prevented by the clear plating applied to almost all commercially available nuts.
            1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
            1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
            Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

My experience with 150 stainless fasteners on the boat I built is very different, so at the very least do a web search, and heed the instructions at links like this: https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...d-galling.aspx Or this PDF file from Fastenal: https://www.fastenal.com/content/fed...%20Galling.pdf

You can avoid it, but its a hassle.

If the company selling clear plating on stainless fasteners as mentioned here guarantees they will not gall, that's fine. If not, don't fall for using 400 grade stainless with the 304 or 316 stainless bolts that is often recommended, as the 400 stainless nuts will rust in a marine environment. And keep a grinder handy because you cannot separate the nut from the bolt if it "cold welds" itself together.
              Frank Hagan
              2008 Bayliner BR-175
              1999 West Wight Potter 19' (sailboat)
              2000 Stevenson's Weekender 15' (home built sailboat)
              Oxnard / Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Comment

Working...
              X