Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlanSqB
    replied
    Resurrecting this thread from it's long sleep!

I also have the V6 4.5/200 sterndrive and had always used the same 3 blade 14x19 props as the original. I suffered from anemic time to plane and lots of drifting in the harbor at idle speed.

Last year I picked up a 14x19 turning point 4 blade and it did really improve handling and time to plane. As I've seen mentioned elsewhere, it felt like I put the boat in 4WD. However, I was never able to get the boat back up to the recommended WOT with this prop on. It's just too much prop for this boat and it shows on the top end.

Since then, I also added smart tabs, which have been nice and the the boat up and out very quickly. Given that change, I'm not sure if I want to go with a 4 blade 14x17 or go back to the 3 blade 14x19. I feel like with the trim tabs and being in calmer waters here in FL vs WA, the three blade would be just fine and get me the speed I want. On the flip side, I've got a ton of canal to navigate to get to the fun stuff and cranking that wheel around like I'm on the Jungle Cruise doesn't sound like fun at all.

If anyone has had some more recent experience with a 4 blade 14x17 on this motor, would love to hear it.

Leave a comment:

• Dave neo
    replied
    all I'll add is using the prop the designers figured was best for my boat's configuration is good enough for me. VR4 w/115 and a ski pole setup - 4 blade gets her up flying pretty quick and good fuel economy...fwiw .
    Last edited by Dave neo; 08-21-2020, 06:52 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• calkirko
    replied
    Found a Quicksilver Nemesis 4 blade 14x19 and have used it the last 6 outings. I can for surely tell you better hole shot and more stable at trolling speed. Keeping the OEM 3 blade in the boat as an emergency spare.

Leave a comment:

• 2veedubs
    replied
    So after many prop changes ended up with a enertia 14.75 x 16. Get 45 mph and a great holeshot and 5800 rpm with 5 people. Had nine on today and still had great on plane. With full load had no problem hitting 40 and 5400 on the 150 outboard. Think I found a prop I can be happy with.

Leave a comment:

• RobMick
    replied
    Originally posted by 2016red vr5 View Post
    Alright as I have been reading all of these post and as I also have a VR5 with 4.3 220HP with a WOT at 5100 RPM with a gear ratio of 1.81. My VR5 came with a black max 3 blade19p and it was absolutely horrible on acceleration but extremely good on top end which was about 50 mph at WOT. I have now since went through about 4 different props on this boat which are a 17p 3 blade, 17p 4 blade, 19p 3 blade and a 19p 4 blade. The best top end of course was the 19p 3 blade black max and the 19p 4 blade turning point was a little better in acceleration but still not what I wanted but good top end still. The 17p 3 blade turning point was a great all around prop but still lacked the pulling part I was looking for in pulling tubes. The 17p 4 blade Spitfire had the best acceleration out of all those and pulled tubers like I wanted and still could run a top speed at about 40-43 mph with 4 people on board but I did have to use a little throttle control as it will max out the WOT.... I was just wondering if anyone has tried the 19p Mercury stainless steal HighFive series prop for this boat and how it works. It is definitely the most expensive out of any of them but is says to improve the holeshot along with not losing hardly any top end....... So I hope this helps anyone looking for a prop for the VR5 cause they are a heavy boat and definitely need help getting on plane.
    SMART TABS, SMART TABS, SMART TABS! You will probably be able to use a 19” pitch instead of a 17” and get the holeshot you are looking for. I would use the 4-blade prop also...it sounds as if you are trying everything you can, spend the $125 I am sure you won’t be disappointed.....Best mid I have done switching to 4-blade and adding tabs...the “Admiral” over the holiday weekend, even told a new bow rider owner about them...”Rob put those black things on the boat and it rides 100% better” she remains very technical, even while enjoying time away from work

Leave a comment:

• vr5200
    replied
    Originally posted by 2016red vr5 View Post
    Alright as I have been reading all of these post and as I also have a VR5 with 4.3 220HP with a WOT at 5100 RPM with a gear ratio of 1.81. My VR5 came with a black max 3 blade19p and it was absolutely horrible on acceleration but extremely good on top end which was about 50 mph at WOT. I have now since went through about 4 different props on this boat which are a 17p 3 blade, 17p 4 blade, 19p 3 blade and a 19p 4 blade. The best top end of course was the 19p 3 blade black max and the 19p 4 blade turning point was a little better in acceleration but still not what I wanted but good top end still. The 17p 3 blade turning point was a great all around prop but still lacked the pulling part I was looking for in pulling tubes. The 17p 4 blade Spitfire had the best acceleration out of all those and pulled tubers like I wanted and still could run a top speed at about 40-43 mph with 4 people on board but I did have to use a little throttle control as it will max out the WOT.... I was just wondering if anyone has tried the 19p Mercury stainless steal HighFive series prop for this boat and how it works. It is definitely the most expensive out of any of them but is says to improve the holeshot along with not losing hardly any top end....... So I hope this helps anyone looking for a prop for the VR5 cause they are a heavy boat and definitely need help getting on plane.
    Welcome to BOC!
    Thanks for posting your experiences so far.
    Hopefully someone will share more with us about any s/s prop experiences.

Leave a comment:

• 2016red vr5
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vr5200
    replied
    Completely off topic, but there should be some VR5 fans here.

This ad is a couple of years old and features a VR5.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wlxX/fidelit...tirement-tools

Leave a comment:

• Seamay
    replied
    I had a 14 x 21 spitfire 4 blade on my 185 BR. After some good advice on here, i realized i was over propped and have just installed a TP Hustler 14 x 19. Went with turnng point because i used them on my bass boat with crazy success, both out of the hole and top end. Will post soon to see how it works. Oh...and i have ordered the nauticus 40 lb smart tabs.....The reviews are amazing for a low priced item

Leave a comment:

• 2veedubs
    replied
    The 4 blade spitfire prop works great on these boats. To save a couple bucks the quicksilver nemesis is the same prop but ships without the hub kit. They are around $125 on amazon.

Leave a comment:

• vr5200
    replied
    Since this thread got active again I wanted to add my experience.

I have a VR5 with the 200hp Mercruiser 4.5.

Stock prop was a 3 blade Black Max 19P. This is a 3000/3500 pound boat and I felt the holeshot was mediocre.

After my 20 hour break in I went with a Spitfire 4 blade 19P (alum) prop. Holeshot improved and boat seemed more responsive for low speed watersports. My top end/WOT RPM was the same as stock.

If I wanted to go one step further I would I have found a 18P prop to use, but since my slalom skiing time is now only a fraction of our time on the water (getting old!), I feel the Spitfire 19P is a good fit for me.

Leave a comment:

• 2veedubs
    replied
    I have a vr5 150 ob that came with a spitfire 13x17 that was super difficult to get on plane. Did the prop calculator and bought a spitfire 14x19 as reccomended. Gets on plane nice and gets 45mph at 5300rpm still breaking in motor so hopefully it frees up a bit. Also tried a 14x14 the dealer had, planed almost instantly but topped out at 37 mph and would over rev. Also tried a 14x17 and it jumped on plane quick but topped out at 39mph at near redline 5800rpm. I am sticking with the 14x19 as it seems to cruise at 25-30 better and is very responsive to throttle input and better top speed. Might use the 14x17 if I know I am having a full load and tubing.

Leave a comment:

• freechip
    replied
    Haven't posted on the forum for a while but here's an update.
    2017 VR5 came with BlackMax 14.5x19p - tried other props and ended up doing most of that season with a SpitFire 14x19 4blade. But still felt I needed more acceleration. So my 2018 season started with the stock 14.5x19 3 blade (sold the spitfire) and I bought another Spitfire but this time 14x17p 4blade.

Finally - acceleration I wanted and needed for the type of running I do, mainly 4 people onboard and/or more and most of the summer doing water sport. YES I did lose a little top speed (40-41mph over 43-44+mph) but the increase in acceleration is all worth it for me.

An issue I was having for example with 4 people onboard is accelerating from idle the RPMs would stop around 3,000 until boat would get on plane then they would climb again. Now they just climb.

With MERCURY's MOBILE VESSEL VIEW installed in the boat I clearly shaved of 2 seconds 0-20mph. I'm now at a respectable 5.5-5.6sec 0-20. For this heavy of a boat I'm happy with these numbers. Riding alone I can hit rev limiter so throttle control aka restraint is required if you are going to ride full out. But what's the fun in that, you're just burning more fuel.

So right now if someone asks me I would have to say for the 2017 VR5 with 4.5L 200hp I/O that the Spitfire 14x17 4blade is a very good option to consider.

Leave a comment:

• David C
    replied
    I bought a 2018 VR6 OB with the Verado pro 200 and it came with the Enertia 16 x 11 pitch. The engine would hit rev limiter when it was trimmed out. Most I would get would be 40 mph. Bayliner said that was the correct prop. Called mercury they said it is the wrong prop. I did some research and I put on an Enertia 14.5 x 17 and now I get 51mph top speed at 6200rpm.

Leave a comment:

• lcbrandt
    replied
    Long time without any new messages here, but I'd like to add something...

I was having the same problem with my Blackmax 19p that came with my VR5, very long time to plane. After reading the messages here, I have bought a Spitfire 19p (4 blades). Before testing it, my Bayliner dealer that was aware of the problem sent me a new propeller saying that this was more adapted to my boat: A Mercury Enertia 15P (yes, 15P...). When I first saw it, I thought that he had made a mistake and even tried to call and tell him it, but he was busy at that moment and I was going to the lake...

As I had the propeller, I decided to test, just to make sure that this 15P would not fit my boat, but... what a surprise! Acceleration is insane and it planes very easily, which was expected with a low pitch propeller, but in the other extreme it did also very, very well! I had a top sped of 68.6kmh (compared to 63 with the Blackmax) at 5800RPM, it did not exceed the maximum rotation of the engine as I was expecting. I did only a first test yesterday but up to know I am very satisfied with the propeller, let's see over the weekend how it will behave.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X