element xl top-gctid813725

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

element xl top-gctid813725

when towing to and from and reaching 70mph on highway, do you tow with the top like it is in my profile pic or do you totally remove the top until you get to where your going? ive been told both ways?
    2017 Element XL, 115

When ever I tow, I like to lower the top and strap it down to the boat.
    QuickChek over Wawa
    Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
    Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
    1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

Same boat as you...I've done both. Our normal lake is 15 miles from my house through rural farm land and the speed limit is 65. On a typical day I will raise the bimini like in your photo for the trip to and from and run about 55-60 mph since it's close, low traffic etc. Once in awhile we travel to some bigger lakes further away requiring highway or interstates with 75mph speed limits and traffic flowing about 80. For this, I leave the top bows laid down and use a bungee cord to gently secure the center of the bimini cover to the handle on the center of the transom (above the battery). Does that make sense? Then I bump the speeds up to about 70 to not be a rolling road block.

I also remove all the seat cushions from the boat for high speeds. But that's another topic all together.

Comment

[.

I also remove all the seat cushions from the boat for high speeds. But that's another topic all together.[/quote]

I just picked up my boat two days ago, after they did the cushion recall work on it. I will be back to the boat in a couple of weeks and take pictures of the work they did. Basically, they replaced the stop-blocks under the cushions with larger ones and added a strap on the cushions that fastened to the lower side of the seats where you would put your ice cooler.

Comment

i usually leave the snap on cover so i dont have to remove all the cushions. This is first out of town trip with this boat and didnt want to run down the interstate and have the top ripped off, ill lay it down and bungee strap it. Better safe than sorry
          2017 Element XL, 115

Comment

oakplank-im going to guess my cushions are ok, the 2 rear cushions have the strap on them so hope i dont have to take mine back. I still wish they a fuel guage at the dash panel, lol!
            2017 Element XL, 115

Comment

Just be careful with leaving the snapped cover on while towing. This puts stress snaps. It may cause the snaps in the hull to loosen and pop out.or it may rip your cover. Those a cover are not designed to be towed at high speeds. Towing covers will have straps that go over the boat and under the hull to keep the cover from blowing off.
              QuickChek over Wawa
              Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
              Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
              Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
              Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
              1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

"Waterdowg" post=814387 wrote:
                Just be careful with leaving the snapped cover on while towing. This puts stress snaps. It may cause the snaps in the hull to loosen and pop out.or it may rip your cover. Those a cover are not designed to be towed at high speeds. Towing covers will have straps that go over the boat and under the hull to keep the cover from blowing off.
                You are correct..

I had the snaps added to the Bayliner mooring cover which already had the straps on it. I always use the straps, in addition to the snaps, when towing the boat.

Comment

well i guess now im going to have to spend another 800 for a mooring cover- it never stops does it! lol

thanks guys!
                  2017 Element XL, 115

Comment

BOAT! :lol:
                    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment