Issue with gauges-gctid813423

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with gauges-gctid813423

Hello everyone, first post... And of course it is with an issue. Usually do more reading than posting.

I recently purchased a 2007 Bayliner Bowrider 195. Everything seems to be in working order and I have had it on the lake a few times already, however I am having some issues with the gauges. The MPH gauge has never worked. I have watched a few videos on how to clean the outboard "port hole", so I will give that a try, but it seems to be stuck. When I start the engine the tachometer does work, but goes all the way to the right when I turn off the engine. And I am not sure what to do the trim gauge.

SEE ATTACHMENT

Do you think I should replace the gauges? Just take it to the dealership? Etc. I am a new boat owner, so I really am not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Attached files

Check the ground connection on all the gauges. Boat speedos are notorious for their inaccuracies ...
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

"davidmcd" post=813423 wrote:
      Hello everyone, first post... And of course it is with an issue. Usually do more reading than posting.

I recently purchased a 2007 Bayliner Bowrider 195. Everything seems to be in working order and I have had it on the lake a few times already, however I am having some issues with the gauges. The MPH gauge has never worked. I have watched a few videos on how to clean the outboard "port hole", so I will give that a try, but it seems to be stuck. When I start the engine the tachometer does work, but goes all the way to the right when I turn off the engine. And I am not sure what to do the trim gauge.

SEE ATTACHMENT

Do you think I should replace the gauges? Just take it to the dealership? Etc. I am a new boat owner, so I really am not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
      Every boat tach that I have ever owned, at around the 8-10 season mark, starts to get squirly and jump around, Usually a tap or two on the gauge face will bring it back to "normal."

As for the speedo, you likely have a clog on the front of the pitot tube, or farther up. there is access to a plastic fitting near the middle from of the drive that allows you to disconnect the tube and blow air or use some weedwhacker string to try to roto-rooter. In one of my B3's I had wood jammed so tightly in the pitot tube I needed to use a long drill bit and one of those manual knurled drill bit handles to "drill"/pick it out.....

if you can't get the speedo to work, I would leave it alone and just use a GPS.....

Comment

cycle the switch on the back of the tach a few times set it to the amount of cylinders you have.

Speedo, tube runs to it, remove and using compressed regulated air shoot the air into the tube see if it clears it.

How you will know blow air with your mouth, no back pressure it's clear.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

My speedo hasn't worked since I bought the bought. Mechanic has used compressed air from both the helm back as well as stern to helm.....no blockages....tried the drill bit in the lower unit pickup hole....nothing...so he said that it is either clogged between the lower unit pickup hole and the tube from the speedo itself or possibly inside the lower unit, the connection between the tube and the lower unit has come off. Short of taking the lower unit off and looking around, I just a free boat speed app on my phone. When I replace the impeller and/or bellows, we will try and hunt down the cause. Most importantly the tach works fine which is really what I think you would want to work...
          Lake Hartwell, GA
          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
          1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
          1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
          1996 SeaDoo GTX
          1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Gonna find a small piece of wood jammed in there maybe.
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"6104696" post=813537 wrote:
              Every boat tach that I have ever owned, at around the 8-10 season mark, starts to get squirly and jump around, Usually a tap or two on the gauge face will bring it back to "normal."
              My flybridge tach is doing this (the tach in the cabin is fine). I'd like to fix it. Is it a wiring issue, or a problem with the gauge?
              1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Working...
              X