Rule Float Switch-gctid811349

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rule Float Switch-gctid811349

Posting this in case it is helpful for anyone trying to track down this odd problem.

2015 Bayliner 175BR, first time in the water in June 2016. Since we moor the boat, before delivery we had the dealer install an auto bilge pump (Attwood Tsunami T500) with a float switch (Rule 35A) to take care of any water that might get in. Both the auto and the manual bilge pumps worked great last summer (first year on the water).

Getting the boat ready a few weeks ago.....hook up battery connections, auto bilge pump immediately comes on. No matter what, it won't shut off if connected to power. Turn on manual bilge pump, the auto bilge pump runs faster. Float switch seems to work properly. I do some work with electronics, so try to track down the problem. Get a new pump and installed it....nope. Decide I don't want to make a $50 problem into a $1,500 problem, so finally take it to the nearby marina early Monday morning (who amazingly took it right in and started looking at it....big shout out to Newport Marina Services for excellent customer service). After about 45 min we determine that the 1-yr old float switch is bad. It was letting 6 volts blow by no matter what (so pump always runs, but slow), and lets 12 volts by (so pump speed increases) when the manual switch was turned on. $158 later and some technician blood from reaching down under the motor to hook up the new float switch, both pumps working correctly again...and now I have a spare pump. I also had them wire both pump and float switch in with quick disconnects so I can easily swap in a new pump or float switch down the road.

In any case, got the boat out on the water for the weekend (crazy zoo at the boat ramp) and everything worked well. Hopefully the start of a great summer.
    Lake Memphremagog, Newport, VT
    2015 Bayliner 175 BR
    Mercruiser 135/3.0 MPI Alpha One
Working...
X