(34)Prop(34)erly Equipped-gctid811243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(34)Prop(34)erly Equipped-gctid811243

Took delivery of a new to me 2052 (1996) in mid April. Very well taken of with low hours. Just wrapped up the major PMs I wanted to perform before summer boating hits its stride, including:

- changed engine oil and filter

- changed plugs and plug wires

- changed fuel filter

- changed impeller

- changed gear oil

The last project was to find a prop I liked better. Although there really wasn't anything wrong with existing prop (3 blade Black Max - 14" x 19" pitch, I thought it was slow to get on plane.

First try was with a Solas Amita 4 - 14.5" x 17" pitch. This wasn't the answer........ over reved the engine to 4,800 - 4,900 rpm and lost over 5 mph in speed.

Next try was a sweet success! I put on a Mercury Spitfire 14" x 19" pitch. Boat nearly jumps on plane, as it takes about 3 seconds to get there. Added benefit is that actually added top end speed over the three blader with about 3-5 mph more. The only curiosity is that for the most part, she pegs out at 4,500, on a jaunt with some time at top end, she will hit 4,600 to 4,700 rpm. Although, this is the same as with the Black Max 3 blade, so maybe not a curiosity after all.

Outside of testing and running from the rain, I don't keep it firewalled, so I was wondering if anyone thought trying out the Spitfire in 21" pitch would be remotely worth it? The boat was pretty lightly loaded with two adults, a teenager and a poodle. My thoughts are that I found the sweet spot and I'm pretty darn happy. The other reason I thought a 21" pitch would be a waste is because hole shot would likely suffer and with more passengers and gear would negate the ability to eek over 4,500 rpm. Finally, if we start pulling a tube, the 19" pitch would be just right.

Having said all that, I'm really pleased with the Spitfire. Seems to deliver all that's promised for a performance, aluminum 4 blader. If you're looking for for a prop, you might want to consider trying one. If anyone needs a 14.5" x 17" pitch 4 blade, I know where you can get one reasonably.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    | 2052 LS | 3.0L MerCruiser | Alpha I Gen II | Spifire 14" x 19"p | 1996 |
    | Reading PA |

Is there a sticker on the engine with the recommended wot rpm.

Reason i am asking i thought the recommended wot recommended range was 4200-4600 for that year engine ?

You near me i got a 16x16 / 3 blade you can try.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Thank you for posting........ I've read many of your posts and appreciate your knowledge and insight.

Actually, I think I'm golden....... I thought the manual listed 4,500 rpm as max. But looking at the engine nameplate per your suggestion, it states 4,400 - 4,800.

You gotta love it when the answer stares you straight in the face!
      | Reading PA |

Comment

For the record, here's the data plate.
        | Reading PA |

Comment

Enjoy !
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
          X