Bayliner Element bad day-gctid810373

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner Element bad day-gctid810373

I have a 2017 Bayliner Element 16' W/75hp motor, 68 hours. Was out on the water Sunday by myself and was running about 3/4 throttle when I felt the bolt hesitate then lost power immediately, turned around to look at the engine and seen it smoke, reached up and turned the key off but it took the engine about 4 seconds to shut off due to it sputtering. Then noticed oil leaking everywhere. I didnt even pull the cowl cover off it to look, Just had it towed in thank god i have Seatow and then dropped it off to the dealer to see what went wrong. 2 weeks before they get to it. So i will update you when i hear.

Any theories out there on it?

I have no experience with that boat or motor, or even whether that is a 2 or 4 stroke. In either case, it sure sounds bad. Maybe like you lost an oil line and seized, or weren't getting cooling water and overheated badly. The sputtering could be from oil getting into the hot chambers and continuing to diesel after shutoff. Let us know what the dealer says.
    88 Capri 2150 305 OMC
    91 and 93 Yamaha Waverunner III 650
    Cincinnati, OH

Comment

"montagc" post=810566 wrote:
      I have no experience with that boat or motor, or even whether that is a 2 or 4 stroke. In either case, it sure sounds bad. Maybe like you lost an oil line and seized, or weren't getting cooling water and overheated badly. The sputtering could be from oil getting into the hot chambers and continuing to diesel after shutoff. Let us know what the dealer says.
      Those are Four Strokes.

I agree, this is dealer time. Let them figure it out - that's what they do best.
      Matt Train
      BOC Site Team
      Chicagoland, IL

Comment

sorry dude. at least you have a warranty to fall back on, but that won't pay for your time and gas to and from dealer unfortunately. Keep us up dated....worm

Comment

Are you using Vessel View Mobile? Any codes?
          2017 Element e16 - 75hp Mercury

Comment

Ok, update today. Dealer called stated that the piston broke, punched hole through motor, engine did not lock up and no water in motor. Total loss. Mercury's first response has been, its not covered. Dealer is working with them now to show that it should be covered. Dealer said no codes were showing. Dealer says they feel like Mercury will step up once they get deeper into the investigation. I sure hope so, I didnt even have my hand on the throttle for at least a mile on the river when it let go. I will keep you updated.

Comment

"LiquidTherapy" post=810956 wrote:
              Ok, update today. Dealer called stated that the piston broke, punched hole through motor, engine did not lock up and no water in motor. Total loss. Mercury's first response has been, its not covered. Dealer is working with them now to show that it should be covered. Dealer said no codes were showing. Dealer says they feel like Mercury will step up once they get deeper into the investigation. I sure hope so, I didnt even have my hand on the throttle for at least a mile on the river when it let go. I will keep you updated.
              This is the second known powerhead failure of a Mercury outboard on a Bayliner Element.

DO not let up. Keep the pressure on and insist it get warrantied.

Actually....IS the boat under warranty?
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Wow, that it's not cool. Those engines should last forever. Press indeed. I have a 2006 40 4 Stroke Merc on my whaler. I keep in the salt water 100% of its life. Never even rinse or slush it. Starts right up, use it almost daily, never left me stranded...
                1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
                2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
                2019 Cobia 240 CC
                2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
                1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

whats Mercury's rationale for saying it's not covered? The previous "not covered" situation was hydrolock...and the question was whether it was operator error or a defect. This doesn't sound like hydrolock.....so if the engine failed during the warranty period and they are saying that it's not covered they need to explain why. Did you do all the schedule maintenance? Did you suck something into the intake that caused overheating? Run it aground hard?

Something is amiss here.....

Comment

Update, Mercury rep came to the dealership and looked at the motor. He said he sees no water damage at all in the motor and they are covering it under the warranty. He nor the dealership has an explanation why it happened. Only 62 hours on it, so one for the books i suppose. Thankful that Mercury backs their product!

Comment

Excellent news. When is the replacement outboard arriving?
                      2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
                      Geneva, Switzerland

Comment

Got the boat back on Friday. Very happy! They still dont know what caused the engine to let go. Dealer said it is the most damage he has seen.

Comment

"LiquidTherapy" post=814834 wrote:
                          Got the boat back on Friday. Very happy! They still dont know what caused the engine to let go. Dealer said it is the most damage he has seen.
                          Congrats. Break er in right and have a good summer.......

Comment

Working...
                          X