Waterline to high?-gctid808413

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterline to high?-gctid808413

Today I decided to clean the bottom of the boat from last season. I noticed the water line and it seems kind of high. There also seems to be 3 levels. My guess is one is at dock the others are during use. Anyway it seems like the boat is sitting low in the water. What do you guys think? It 2016 215 DeckBoat with 4.3MPI with Alpha 1 Gen 2.

QuickChek over Wawa
    Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
    Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
    1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

The fact that the water line is above the hole where the transducer comes through would have me very concerned.
    ~Joe
    2015 Element XL
    Mercury 115

Comment

"Banana Slug" post=808419 wrote:
      The fact that the water line is above the hole where the transducer comes through would have me very concerned.
      Yes it does. The dealer installed that. But may concern is should the water be getting that high? I know bugmlge will hold about 5 gallons after the bilge pump is finished. I'm not sure how much water needs to be in there before it turns on. I guess I need to check that out. The placement of the pump from from Bayliner is in a really bad spot. Easy to get to but bad spot to get out water.
      QuickChek over Wawa
      Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP

Comment

IMO the dealer should not have made the hole for the transducer anywhere near the waterline. It should have been well above so even if you had many people on the boat it would not even be close to being submerged.
        1979 32 Uniflite Sport Sedan twin 270 crusaders
        2003 Bayliner 2152 210 Classic 5.0 mercruiser - sold
        I wish I knew now what I didn't know then

Comment

"Banana Slug" post=808419 wrote:
          +1 on concern that the hole for the transducer is below the waterline.

Your waterline would change with the weight distribution of people and gear on the boat. If you have a couple of large friends/familiy members on the stern ( hanging at the loungers and swim platform) I could understand why the boat would be low in the stern. If you are following the restricted weight levels of your boat and you have no water in the bilge I wouldn't be concerned.

Comment

The Dealer installed the Transducer when the boat was new and you is above the lowest water line. There is ALWAYS water int he bilge due to the way the boat is designed and it drives me crazy. The Deck and the front platform are self draining and all the compartments drain into the bilge area. The vents in the engine compartment are not covered by the cover so when It rains water runs down the cover in the vent and in the bilge. Now the bilge pump is installed by Bayliner in the front of the engine compartment so LOTS of water needs to fill the bilge before the pump kicks on ans even when its done pumping there is around 5 gallons the stays in there. I plan on have the cover extended to cover the engine vents and and perhaps a new cover for the front.

My concern with this post was the water level line above the transom hooks and and transducer hole. The water lines just looked rather dark for the few times I used the boat with 10 people. It is usually only my wife, myself, and 3 kids.
            QuickChek over Wawa
            Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP

Comment

"My concern with this post was the water level line above the transom hooks and and transducer hole"

The next time you put the boat in the water I would check the transom hooks and transducer hole for water infiltration. I would also check out similar boats and see if they look similar. Just because a dealer installed doesn't mean it was done correctly - the positive thing is if the dealer installed incorrectly at least you would have some recourse. I would keep an eye on the screws keeping in the cord of the transducer as well - depending on their length and their water tightness they are below all three water lines and are submerged all of the time.

+1 on wishing I didn't have a wet bilge. I have a hardtop and canvas enclosure on the back of my 246. Couldn't understand why I was getting water in the bilge. Was starting to convince myself that one of hoses on the seapump was leaking or that the freshwater system onboard was leaking. I was at the point of tasting the water to see if it was fresh or salt to help figure out the problem. Finally during the next heavy rainfall I crawled into the engine compartment with flashlight and waited - my wife thought I was crazy. It wasn't long before i started to see water running in - the water from the canvas counter top was angled into a cup holder which I thought drained overboard - nope it trained into the bilge. Agree that all draining points should be over the side and not in the bilge.

Comment

"Gtown" post=808571 wrote:
                "My concern with this post was the water level line above the transom hooks and and transducer hole"

The next time you put the boat in the water I would check the transom hooks and transducer hole for water infiltration. I would also check out similar boats and see if they look similar. Just because a dealer installed doesn't mean it was done correctly - the positive thing is if the dealer installed incorrectly at least you would have some recourse. I would keep an eye on the screws keeping in the cord of the transducer as well - depending on their length and their water tightness they are below all three water lines and are submerged all of the time.

+1 on wishing I didn't have a wet bilge. I have a hardtop and canvas enclosure on the back of my 246. Couldn't understand why I was getting water in the bilge. Was starting to convince myself that one of hoses on the seapump was leaking or that the freshwater system onboard was leaking. I was at the point of tasting the water to see if it was fresh or salt to help figure out the problem. Finally during the next heavy rainfall I crawled into the engine compartment with flashlight and waited - my wife thought I was crazy. It wasn't long before i started to see water running in - the water from the canvas counter top was angled into a cup holder which I thought drained overboard - nope it trained into the bilge. Agree that all draining points should be over the side and not in the bilge.
                Thanks I plan keeping an eye on it. There is only one other boat of the same model around right now. He is the only Bayliner dealer around the closest one is about 100 miles. He has to others on the lot I could look at those. But I think when I looked around those the last time I was there they did not have depth guage.
                QuickChek over Wawa
                Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP

Comment