E16 Mercury 75hp - Prop Stopped turning-gctid807889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E16 Mercury 75hp - Prop Stopped turning-gctid807889

Hello BOC group. I was hoping to get some feedback and ideas as to what went wrong with our outboard this past weekend. Started off with a normal launch, started right up, power felt good, etc. While backing out we turned up a little sand/dirt and I quickly titled the motor up more to clear it. We crossed the sound over to a dock at a restaurant. It was very rough with wakes from lots of traffic on the ICW on the way over, but power and control felt normal. As we started to line up for the dock slip at the restaurant, I started having issues with power. Basically, the remote handle would go back and forth and the motor would rev up but the boat was not responding. We tied up and starting looking at things closer. The guy next to us thought our prop looked wrong and was missing the cotter pin, back off and was just spinning or stripped. We grabbed some lunch and called SeaTow and they brought us back to the ramp so we could trailer it home.

I checked Vessel View Mobile and everything looked normal with no fault codes listed. I had not checked VVM while it happend, so I don't know if codes stay or if they clear when the power cycles. I also researched my prop and I do not think it is supposed to have a cotter pin as it looks like the tabbed washer type, but I could be wrong. I also suspected something was wrong with the remote or cabling coming loose, etc. I looked at the install/operation manual for the remote (4000 gen2) and it mentions a Throttle Only Button. When engaged would produce basically what happened to me while docking. I wonder if I bumped it with my knee while maneuvering and then it went into throttle only mode with no prop? I was not aware of that function unfortunately. So far my suspected list of causes are:

1. Throttle Only Mode was engaged by accident.

2. Prop spun off/stripped shaft, etc.

3. Cabling problem

4. Something more serious with the lower end unit.

2017 Mercury 4 Stroke 75hp. 7.5 hours on it.
    2017 Element e16 - 75hp Mercury

I think my Spitfire 4 blade prop is a Flow Torque style as mine looks just like the photos/videos I looked up online and they do not have a traditional cotter pin going through the shaft and wrapped around the nut.

Comment

Pull the prop to check,

Hub protective sleeve could have spun.
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

Are you referring to the Delrin sleeve?

Comment

I pulled the prop and checked everything out.

- Prop nut was very tight and tabbed clip was in place.

- Prop shaft looked perfect with no visible spline damage.

- The Delrin insert and the metal adapter parts looked perfect and both locked in place with each other with no damage or play. The 4 grooves appeared undamaged.

I am ruling out a spun prop based on what I saw.

Comment

It may be a shift linkage issue. You may want to take the engine cover off and see if something in the linkage became disconnected.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

I'll do that. I did think the helm control felt kind of loose to me.

Comment

Is there a way to test your cable to see if it is going into reverse and forward correctly while out of the water and not running?

Comment

We took it back to the launch ramp and backed it into the water for some tests after checking the prop out. It's not going into gear for sure. I tried forward or reverse and it just revs up a little and makes the ticking sound (clutch dogs hitting I assume). The shifting has never felt smooth for me since day one, so we are taking it back to the dealer for the other issues we noted on delivery and have this looked at. We are just coming up on 8 hrs on the outboard. I'm guessing the remote or cabling has a problem.

Comment

Under warranty i wouldn't touch it bring it back, and forget about any mention of sand etc.

You launched and lost power control period would be the story.
                    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

And I do not think churning up a little bottom while in idle speed would not cause something like this.

Comment

We got the boat back from the dealer yesterday. According to the service notes, the barrel on the shift cable came out of retainer and moved rigging tube so there is less stress put on cable. While it was there I asked the fiberglass shop to touch up some areas under the seats that did not look right. Dealer took car of it all at no cost.

Comment

Working...
                        X