Weight Limits?-gctid806553

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight Limits?-gctid806553

Hello Everyone. We are being given my fathers boat ('89 Capril 1750) and are looking for some information on it. I've tried googling it and all I can find is the basic weight/length of the boat. What we're specifically looking for is how many people can we have on board and the weight limit for those people.

Thanks for your help.

First off, welcome to the BOC forum. There should be a required capacity plate somewhere near the rear of the boat. It should answer your questions. For the purpose of that plate they use the outdated standard of just 150 pounds for each person. Unfortunately I don't think that is the average weight of a person today. Myself included.

Greg
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Unfortunately, the boat is still in Idaho until July when we go retrieve it. I saw that 150 lbs/person "suggestion" on another forum question, which is what prompted me to ask. Seriously, 150 lbs? Most football playing (this is Texas) teenagers don't even weight that. That's my concern. If we get 3 average sized teenagers (around this mark) and 3 **ahem** slightly (okay, a lot) fluffier adults, are we going to have an issue?

For the record, this is Matt's wife asking these questions. He's a confident boater, but I'm new to this. I'm overly cautious and am less likely to test these boundaries than he is.

Thanks, Michelle

Comment

"mattfluke" post=806561 wrote:
        Unfortunately, the boat is still in Idaho until July when we go retrieve it. I saw that 150 lbs/person "suggestion" on another forum question, which is what prompted me to ask. Seriously, 150 lbs? Most football playing (this is Texas) teenagers don't even weight that. That's my concern. If we get 3 average sized teenagers (around this mark) and 3 **ahem** slightly (okay, a lot) fluffier adults, are we going to have an issue?

For the record, this is Matt's wife asking these questions. He's a confident boater, but I'm new to this. I'm overly cautious and am less likely to test these boundaries than he is.

Thanks, Michelle
        My 2007 bayliner 175 was rated for 7 people or 885 pounds. My wife and I laughed our tails off when we saw that one.

Comment

In my opinion, 4 full grown adults is all this boat can safely accommodate regardless of what the federally required sticker states.

When loading your small boat always consider the weight and positioning of each passengers' gear, weight of cooler, etc. and potential weather conditions.

rx

Comment

"mattfluke" post=806561 wrote:

Thanks, Michelle
            Now that you've outed yourself, you'll get no respect. B) (Just kidding of course.) First, legally you must have one PFD per person on board, and people 12 and under must wear them. IMO, you, Matt and Colin, plus a similar sized family, would max out that boat. And welcome to the BOC! :cheer:
            Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ
            |
            Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
            2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
            2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
            2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
            2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
            And 12 others...
            In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

You also have to have a throwable PFD aboard. Smaller boats usually have a seat cushion type PFD for that purpose.

The 150# person is being reviewed by the USCG, but changes take a long time to develop, announce, enact and enforce.
              1998 Capri 1950CL
              3 Liter MerCruiser
              Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Garmin 300 AIS receiver, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
              2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

I checked the 185BR manual.

so there is a difference in maximum load and number of people allowed between the US (called Domestic) and CE (European certification, called International)

US load is 1030 lbs (1100 lbs with fuel I guess).

CE load is 535 kg (which would be 1179.47 lbs).

and the layout is like this:

so the US configuration would allow average of 128,75 lbs (58,40kg) per person.

CE would than be 168,50 lbs (76,43 kg) per person.

I do fit into the CE average, but with taller friends it would be difficult, no problem for the ladies, but the US average look very tight
                185 BR FL 2015

Comment

"Jeffw" post=806808 wrote:

Nice information, but the boat in question is a 1750, a smaller, older version of yours.
                  Apologies, I do understand that I have not provided valuable information in my post, I was just trying to contribute to the discussion on the "average weight" of a person that Bayliner proposes for their boats.. ops:
                  185 BR FL 2015

Comment

"mj989" post=806856 wrote:
                    "Jeffw" post=806808 wrote:

Nice information, but the boat in question is a 1750, a smaller, older version of yours.
                    Apologies, I do understand that I have not provided valuable information in my post, I was just trying to contribute to the discussion on the "average weight" of a person that Bayliner proposes for their boats.. ops:
                    Point taken, thanks.
                    Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
                    Lake Havasu City, AZ
                    |
                    Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
                    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                    And 12 others...
                    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Working...
                    X