Moving the winch eye question-gctid397143

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving the winch eye question-gctid397143

Since my 'ol 2455's bow eye is way to low for today's winch stands to work properly and is showing signs of it's age, I'm thinking about re-locating it higher up on the bow if I can reach in far enough thru the rode locker to attach the backing plate and nuts. I was wondering if Marine-Tex alone will provide an acceptable plug for the existing holes once the re-location is complete. Or since I do encounter large wakes here, should I reinforce it on the back side with a layer of matting and fiberglass?

Marine Tex is tough stuff. But if you can get in to back the repair with fiberglass that would be a plus.

Would you need to remove the original bow eye ? It's nice sometimes to have options.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

JimMc wrote:
      Would you need to remove the original bow eye ? It's nice sometimes to have options.
      +1

The lower bow eye is better if you ever need a tow....... You can also use it for a hold-down strap for trailering. If it doesn't leak I'd leave it in and as Marine Tex is expensive I would replace it with a new SS one if it's in need.....

Comment

Ya it needs to be replaced, and has halfway pulled out. I figure since if I have to go thru the trouble of replacing it, I might as well put in a SS one. It's been waaaaay to hot lately to squirm my way up into the bow area to see exactly how much room I have to work with, but if I could mount it about 8" lower, it sure would make cranking the boat all the way to the bow stop easier.

Comment

Working...
        X