1985 Bayliner Capri-gctid396877

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 Bayliner Capri-gctid396877

I am going to look at a 1985 Bayliner Capri today, I believe it is the 1600 BR Series. This will be my first boat that I own myself. Is there anything I should be looking for?From The pictures it looks like its in pretty good shape. I will redo the interior, it looks like an amateur did the work, and I hate the colors (Ohio St. Colors )Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks!

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700550=29367-5E65Ke5Ha3Ed3F43J8c5ta9cf02f20dfc15c5.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700550=29368-5Ga5F45M23Ge3p83H6c5tf434a6e80dd61660.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700550=29369-5I75Ka5Ja3G63F63N1c5t77ec29d669461aef.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700550=29370-5T25E75Mc3Ic3Lb3Ncc5tdd4be51d191e1084.jpg[/img]

at that age I would really check the transom, floor and stringers for rot! I have redone all of that on my last boat and the transom is a lot of work but with an OB engine you need a strong transom.......

Comment

Welcome aboard !

Make sure you check the outdrive oil. Then after you run it on the water check the oil again for milky looking oil.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
        Make sure you check the outdrive oil. Then after you run it on the water check the oil again for milky looking oil.
        Hmmmmm, the picture shows an OB engine so he should check the lower unit oil...... Just to be picky.....

Comment

Thanks for the nice welcome!

So I ended up buying the boat today. So now I am officially a boat owner and a bayliner one at that!

I already have a few mods in mind.

1st - replace that hidious seat cover job that someone did

2nd - put an antenna on so the radio that someone installed in the glovebox really works

3rd - touch up that paint and buff it out

Comment

congratulations! Always good to start with a used boat....

One tip: put your boat/engine into your signature and your location in the header. May reduce the number of questions you get in case you ask for help.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

I may have a few questions about outboards down the road. I grew up with only I/O's, so this is my first experience with outboards.

Comment

Welcome to the circus!

Congrats on the boat! How does the floor feel? Solid all around or are there some soft spots? Looks like a nice boat!

Comment

kellynm wrote:
                  Welcome to the circus!

Congrats on the boat! How does the floor feel? Solid all around or are there some soft spots? Looks like a nice boat!
                  Hey Thanks! Yea the floor seems pretty solid, no soft spots that I can tell of.

Side Note - I see you are in NM. Where abouts? I just spent two months working at Cannon AFB in Clovis, NM and fished a few places around there.

Comment

Hello all,

I found this board during the course of looking up information on the particular boat in this topic. I am interested in getting a used boat to go fishing and taking my daughter for boat rides. There is a 1985 Bayliner Capri 1600 for sale locally asking for $1750. The owner claimed he had redone the seat, floor and bilge pump. He also rebuilt the Force 85 Outboard. Is this a fair price? Btw, I am in CT.

Thanks,

Sam

Comment

mumalake, generally on older Bays, the area just in front of the swim platform is an early rot area (picture swimmers dripping). My 83 was like that.

Welcome, and keep an eye out in that area, floor-wise

Comment

Thank you for the warning. Although the seller said that he had replaced the floor, I will double check that area.

Thanks,

Sam

Comment

I'm very partial to the 1600 OB model. Mine was an '86. I purchased it in similar condition and did a complete redo on the interior layout. Links to my thread are in my sig. A couple pictures, I'm currently trying to track it down again.

Comment

Working...
                          X