VR6 Factory Tower-gctid801113

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VR6 Factory Tower-gctid801113

Wondering if anyone has decided to go with an aftermarket tower instead of opting for the factory one. I'm ordering a '17 VR6 and want a tower, but I really don't like the looks of the factory one. I'm thinking about installing a Monster MTK instead. I'll need to reinforce the fiberglass at anchor points and probably add a couple access panels. I'd love to have some feedback (positive or negative) from anyone that has done this or is thinking about it. Pics would be greatly appreciated also! Thanks!

This is an MTK Tower on a VR5

MTK Tower Closeup

I feel the VR tower is superior to the tower you posted. I have driven a VR with the tower and it's strong enough to do chin ups on with no creaking, shaking, or any movement of any kind.

Bayliner uses the VR series tower in the US, but uses the pictured tower on the VR boats over in the EU. No idea why.

In short, I would stick with stock.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I have heard that also. Do you know if the factory tower color is an option? I didn't see that as on option on the website, but I have seen pictures of the tower in both polished, and with a protective coating (black). I do like the one piece base compared to the other designs,it's just the appeal of the tower itself (and the $800 price difference). Stock is always a safer bet...thanks

Comment

I believe it is one-color, and I am sure it's that way due to cost.

That said, there's no reason why you cannot "modify" the tower later on with a trusted vendor. I am sure the upper part of the bar can be removed/swapped out for a color bar at your cost.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Here is one that must of been modified then. Too bad it's not an option. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I installed a Monster Tower MTK on my 2010 Bayliner 17.5 last year and love it. Bought the Kicker speakers, two racks and bimini top also. I put mine on the top of the rails for added head clearance. I'm 6'2'' and can walk under my tower without hitting my head. When I tried to install like Bayliner's photo's of Flight Series boats with the MTK tower, I was hitting my forehead. I can do pull-ups, my son climbs and sits on top of the tower and it's quite when wake boarding. You just have to install it correctly.

As for buying stock vs aftermarket, Monster was the supplied for Bayliner for their Flight series boats, and I thought I read Monster and Bayliner designed the VR6 tower. As far as color, powder coating is durable but will chip if hit with sharp edges like wake boards, skies, etc.

I say buy what you think looks good. We looked on line and just liked the way the MTK looks. As far as installation goes, Bayliner most likely already reinforced the areas if you go with the new designed tower. My boat had reinforcement for a tower model that I didn't like the looks of.

Heading off for a little R&R so no pictures for a couple of weeks. Good luck.

Comment

"sierra112" post=801193 wrote:
              Here is one that must of been modified then. Too bad it's not an option. Thanks for the advice.

[attachment]34833 wrote:
              426746C9-58C1-4C85-AF5D-669784B08E49-5075-00001462DAAB9AA2_tmp.png[/attachment]
              Not so fast.

That appears to be a new boat. Where did you get that picture?

It's possible that's the tower design for 2017, and I have seen that black tower on Heydays too, so it could be a running change.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

A bit off topic....I know that many "need" that tower for watersports they enjoy, but the "purist" in me looks at that pic and says "man is that hideous looking". Also not a fan of the "missing side or wrap around windshield either...but I know that's what is being made and selling in today's marketplace.....love the older styling of the boats...especially these smaller bowriders

Nice new boat though...
                Lake Hartwell, GA
                2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                1996 SeaDoo GTX
                1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

I did the same analysis with the "sports arch" on my new E18. I could have saved some coin by going aftermarket, but decided to have it all done at the factory, during assembly, all covered by the same warranty, etc. Very happy with my choice; the boat came all ready to go, no time wasted ordering and installing, or taking to a shop, etc.

Comment

"Download_Complete" post=801244 wrote:
                    "sierra112" post=801193 wrote:

[attachment]34833 wrote:
                    426746C9-58C1-4C85-AF5D-669784B08E49-5075-00001462DAAB9AA2_tmp.png[/attachment]
                    Not so fast.

That appears to be a new boat. Where did you get that picture?

It's possible that's the tower design for 2017, and I have seen that black tower on Heydays too, so it could be a running change.
                    They have that tower on the 2016 215DB. It can be seen here http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...13-my-new-ride
                    2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                    Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                    1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

I need to clarify -

ON the Deckboat thread, the "upper" part of the arch is anodized (silver). On that VR6, the arch is all black. That's changed from last year, and if that black VR is something that is sitting at a dealer as a 2017, then it tells me that there was a running change to the tower (I think Monster is the vendor) from silver to black. And I have seen a Heyday inboard with the all-black wakeboard tower.

I know for a fact they would not have two SKUs for colors - they will produce that tower only in one way and only in one color, so that tells me the wakeboard towers are all black for 2017. I don't think that black VR was modified.
                      Matt Train
                      BOC Site Team
                      Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Matt,

Thanks for the clarification. Bayliner should do a better job of using current pictures on the Website. There are the same pictures on there from 2015. Although the basics have not changed but the smaller thing have. So people see one thing and get another.
                        2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                        Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                        Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                        Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                        1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

That;s been that way since the advent of Photoshop. GEtting photo shoots are time, resource, and money-intensive.
                          Matt Train
                          BOC Site Team
                          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Photo Shoot? Hell pay me $100 and I'll walk out to the dock and snap away on my iPhone 7....I am sure that Brunswick has some sort of department that could handle at least taking current pics....print department/advertising, whatever. Maybe in the 80's cost big money to do a "photo shoot" not today with all the Tech that's available...I call BS......lazy, poor media/customer relations/advertising depts. all should be held responsible for the lack of professionalism....definitely would make me question spend boat bucks with them in a new boat if they can't even get the current model up on the website....the website....not print media...c'mon Bayliner...I'd be intersted to know if Sea Ray has "current" photos on their website....
                            Lake Hartwell, GA
                            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                            1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                            1996 SeaDoo GTX
                            1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Looks like $$$$$$ to me...