Transducer location in hull-gctid395359

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transducer location in hull-gctid395359

I was wondering where you all mounted your transducer for the depth finder inside the hull. I had mine temporarily mounted and tried a few different spots and get different results. Not huge differences but half a foot or so. If you can provide pictures of where yours is mounted, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2005 175 and a Hawkeye D10D

I put mine on the outside, you get a much better signal and it wasn't hard to do at all.

Never looked back or had to touch it again.

The cable hole is well above the waterline so no issue there either.

Comment

Mine is mounted in front of, and to the left of the bilge pump. Just mounted it within the last few weeks. I'll snap a pic after work and post it up for you.

Comment

I mounted mine in the exact same spot, which has worked well. There was a forum thread somewhere here that I followed, but I can't seem to track it down.

Comment

Mine is glued down on the drivers side near the front of the engine.

Comment

jhenkel wrote:
            Mine is mounted in front of, and to the left of the bilge pump. Just mounted it within the last few weeks. I'll snap a pic after work and post it up for you.
            Thanks, were you able to find a picture?

Comment

I took their advice and mounted mine just in front of and to the left (passenger side) of the bilge pump yesterday. Took the boat out today and it worked perfect. I was able to do 40 mph and it was still reading perfectly.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700466=29355-IMAG0132.jpg[/img]

Comment

whitey382 wrote:
                I took their advice and mounted mine just in front of and to the left (passenger side) of the bilge pump yesterday. Took the boat out today and it worked perfect. I was able to do 40 mph and it was still reading perfectly.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                I seem to be getting some erratic readings, so before I send the transducer back, do you happen to remember the angle of the set up?Thanks in advance.

Comment

Scrimmer wrote:
                  I seem to be getting some erratic readings, so before I send the transducer back, do you happen to remember the angle of the set up?

Thanks in advance.
                  my transducer is a standard puck transducer sitting at the angle the hull is at (18 degrees I believe). Check your unit for depth ability. If you are in water deeper than your unit can measure, then you will get a zero ready until the bottom comes within your range again. My range is 800 ft, anything over that and it reads zero.

ps - the boat has to be in the water to get any readings. also, when you installed the transducer, did you make sure to push and twist on it when placing it on the fresh epoxy? did you coat the bottom of the transducer with epoxy as well before you placed it? did you place an object on top of it to hold it down firm while it dried?

Comment

Scrimmer wrote:
                    I seem to be getting some erratic readings, so before I send the transducer back, do you happen to remember the angle of the set up?

Thanks in advance.
                    You will also get erratic readings when you are in the weeds.

Comment

Scrimmer wrote:

Thanks in advance.
                      Mine is set to 18 degrees. I don't think a wrong angle will give you erratic readings, just wrong ones. I'd check to see that the transducer compartment is still filled with fluid. If you didn't get the seal good and tight when you glued it down it might have leaked out.

Comment

whitey382 wrote:
                        my transducer is a standard puck transducer sitting at the angle the hull is at (18 degrees I believe). Check your unit for depth ability. If you are in water deeper than your unit can measure, then you will get a zero ready until the bottom comes within your range again. My range is 800 ft, anything over that and it reads zero.

ps - the boat has to be in the water to get any readings. also, when you installed the transducer, did you make sure to push and twist on it when placing it on the fresh epoxy? did you coat the bottom of the transducer with epoxy as well before you placed it? did you place an object on top of it to hold it down firm while it dried?
                        It reads the depth, but will blink quite often instead of a steady display. I know I epoxied (actually siliconed it tight), but I did find the fluid a bit low.

oldjeep wrote:
                        You will also get erratic readings when you are in the weeds.
                        Ok, thanks, an other friend said similar things, and our lakes and rivers a very weedy!

jhenkel wrote:
                        Mine is set to 18 degrees. I don't think a wrong angle will give you erratic readings, just wrong ones. I'd check to see that the transducer compartment is still filled with fluid. If you didn't get the seal good and tight when you glued it down it might have leaked out.
                        The seal is tight, I think I overflowed the tube a bit and some leaked out, just refilled it, will be re-testing it this week, thanks again everyone!

Comment

[QUOTE]Scrimmer wrote:
                          It reads the depth, but will blink quite often instead of a steady display. I know I epoxied (actually siliconed it tight), but I did find the fluid a bit low.

That could be your problem right there. The instructions with my transducer were very specific that for the depth finder to work properly you needed to use slow cure epoxy. I would ditch the silicone, get it cleaned up and epoxy it. The stuff that came with mine took 24 hours to set up, so thats the kind you should be looking for.

Comment

[QUOTE]whitey382 wrote:
                            Scrimmer wrote:

That could be your problem right there. The instructions with my transducer were very specific that for the depth finder to work properly you needed to use slow cure epoxy. I would ditch the silicone, get it cleaned up and epoxy it. The stuff that came with mine took 24 hours to set up, so thats the kind you should be looking for.
                            Ok, thanks. My puck transducer sits in a glycol bath, the instructions said to use GE silicone to set and seal the transducer holder, the transducer is then set into the holder with glycol in it, nothing on the transducer, it locks into it's holder.

I talked with a Faria rep, he said it may not be the transducer, but the gauge itself may be faulty.

Comment

Had the boat out yesterday, seems the bugs have gone away and everything works beautifully!

Just so you're aware, took the transducer out, refilled the tube with new glycol, re-installed the transducer, and went out on the bay. Works as advertised now!

Thanks everyone for input and assistance!

Comment

Working...
                              X