Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sradjuster
    commented on 's reply
    Matt, do you still participate in these forums? trying to find an "expert" and this post and you seem to have things locked up...you are the only result I can Google...I hope to hear back from you...many thanks

• sradjuster
    commented on 's reply
    Hello all... I am very new to the forum. I have read this over a few times when I purchased my boat last summer (8/2019). From what I read in the posts, this boat is a fairly rare boat...Not saying its all worth all that but it'd be nice to know what I have is possibly worth more than the average boat that is 34 yrs old. You guys are the only resource that has provided me with any good information to this boat. it still is mostly original from 1986. I did have to replace the wood of the bow seating and some other minor fixes but overall she's a quality vessel. One day I'll post a picture of her...

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    "Download_Complete" post=758750 wrote:

I saw your deleted post on how much power the 275 can take - answer is more than you are willing to put in the engine bay. Donzi used to run these back in the 1970s with some really hot small blocks, and most of the gearing and drive components are shared with the 1.78 ratio big block drives.

[color]#000088 wrote:
    Back in the 70s these all used the 1.61:1 gearing, as the 1.78:1 gearing is a 1983 and later Duo Prop ratio.

[/color]

So in short, go ahead and throw 300 - 350 hp at it. It can take it. The limiting factor here is the Sequential Lift Hull. The hull will get squirrley over 48 mph, but that's why the trim tabs are with her. THe boat performs REALLY well - she will plane off with 1 person on 2500 RPM or so, and top out at 48. Cruising at 30 mph she will SIP gas like a V6.

I can't wait to see the results of the repower, honestly. You are completing the plans I had for her when I owned her, and it's a thrill to see.
    [color]#000088 wrote:
    Neo, your mechanical questions would be best answered if posted in the Tech Section.

[/color]

Leave a comment:

• Download_Complete
    replied
    I think I am legitimately going to be sick. I am starting to really regret selling her. She deserved better, but at least she's getting the attention she needs. Nice job, Neo. Seriously.

I saw your deleted post on how much power the 275 can take - answer is more than you are willing to put in the engine bay. Donzi used to run these back in the 1970s with some really hot small blocks, and most of the gearing and drive components are shared with the 1.78 ratio big block drives.

Take a close look at the back of this bad boy:

So in short, go ahead and throw 300 - 350 hp at it. It can take it. The limiting factor here is the Sequential Lift Hull. The hull will get squirrley over 48 mph, but that's why the trim tabs are with her. THe boat performs REALLY well - she will plane off with 1 person on 2500 RPM or so, and top out at 48. Cruising at 30 mph she will SIP gas like a V6.

I can't wait to see the results of the repower, honestly. You are completing the plans I had for her when I owned her, and it's a thrill to see.

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    New Juice on the way..all new PDS bearing's and seals in hand and UJ spiders and engine compartment lifts on will call.

Matt went partial-longblock to try and reuse the upgrades you had previously invested in....Holley fueler and Delco EST sparker... that made my silver or gold to a Vorrtec roller guts decision hard..but those old flats lifters ran 30 years...just need the geriatric Zinc oil adders like us bipeds

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    What HP max do you think that VP275 outdrive can handle, was thinking of a 383 at 405Hp, maybe i need to tone it back to a 355 at 365Hp dyno'd. its a difference of $300 in the longblock

Any opinions, experience

Leave a comment:

• montagc
    replied
    Uggh. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    Well, so much for optimism...complete lack of maintenance and winterizing ..allegedly out last season. hmm..this looks systemic issue...her powerplant getting picked out next week and off to the machine shop.

Pictures are not for the feint of heart.

Machine shop owner, honest guy says "Dont Bother" save your money, buy a crate motor. So i'm going shopping.

The upside is i have the PDS bearings and seals on will call pickup today,...$32 =tax for SKF / Timken

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    Well, shes topless and i hope to remove her heads tomorrow and see better what is going on...ordered a FelPro marine gasket set so I'll do the valve seals and o-rings too while on a bench, that is if they come back from fluxing OK. The exhaust manifolds and risers look great, freeze plugs intact, lots of sand, gravel and rust flakes flushed out, but a long back and forth water and compressed air flush they're flowing like a triple bypass, with oversize stents. I've ordered the PDS bearings and seals since I'll be sitting with a 300lb shortblock in a few days, I'll pluck the block out or move it 6in forward and do the job while I've got it apart. I doubt this top end has ever been off, looks like I'm cracking original paint seals on everything.

*Still planning on a repower in the spring, just trying to salvage some end of season puttin if I can for a few busted knuckles.

Leave a comment:

• Download_Complete
    replied
    How are things...any improvement with the engine room?

Leave a comment:

• Download_Complete
    replied
    "Neo" post=757305 wrote:
    Excellent, thank you for the thread links...I'll do some reading and get the parts ordered..I'm already all work no play (yet) at this point, whats another few little PM's.
    Hang in there. She's a great boat, and will be even better when you're done.

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    Excellent, thank you for the thread links...I'll do some reading and get the parts ordered..I'm already all work no play (yet) at this point, whats another few little PM's.

Leave a comment:

• Download_Complete
    replied
    Great if it has a Bimini. It didn't when I had it, and we suffered for it.

PDS bearings:

Yes, like a gimbal. VP doesn't use gimbal bearings on these old AQs. It's good news because you don't need to align the engine like you do on gimbal based systems, it's a fixed geometry, but it also means the Primary Drive Shaft bearings (PDS) need to eventually be replaced, it's bad news if they fail, and they require pulling the engine to do. Also, I don't think you need to pull the whole drive here, just the upper transmission. You can see if you look at the back of the boat the engine literally sticks through the transom plate, and the drive bolts to that, rather than through a gimbal. If it weren't for the PDS bearings they would be maintenance free, but once you do them, they will last for another 30 years.

HEre's a few threads to get you started....Rick is our resident VP guy, and can walk you through this job drunk and blindfolded. (Not a bad idea to do bellows and inspect the U joints too...again, you're already in there. The drive's input shaft was replaced, so we're just talking everything in front of the drive)

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...ings-and-seals

http://baylinerownersclub.org/index....s-bearing-help

Strongly suggest Kim at Canvas Plus when you tear into the plywood. Like i said, she'll make you replacement seat skins based on the actual Bayliner colors and patterns. A few threads here on that as well.

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    Yes I will, I have access to a sandblast cabinet and some nitric acid for re-passivating the SS.

I wouldn't put those on such a nice looking boat in that condition...little to Beverly Hillbillies for my tastes. I'd be embarrassed to trailer it to the launch looking like that.

PDS bearings...OK I need to educate myself, I'll break out my Google-Fu. Like the gimbal bearing on a merc?

Structure is definitely sound, some of the seat plywood is on my to-do over winter list..I'm a bit of a retent if im going to invest time into something.

Like it better without the red stripes, i had no idea they were on the hull.. only red on it is the interior piping.

She gave me two corian tables too, I need to get replacement tubes, but thats an anywhere item. claims to have a bimini for it and some rope/tow-behind tube toys etc.. its like Xmas every-time i go over there a new box shows up.

Leave a comment:

• Download_Complete
    replied
    Well I'll be damned. Still has the blue bottom paint on it too.

Please find a way to get that off, if you don't mind. It'll clash with the navy of the Sunbrella. :P

I am not very techy, but if you can, try and hook them up and make sure they work. If they don't, Bennett was the vendor for those, and they have excellent customer service for replacement parts. Just tell them you have an '86 2450 Ciera. The stock mounting point for the rocker switches on Sportcruisers with the tabs option was immediately in front of the shifter.

Hopefully with the receipts and me as a background, you've got enough info to know what the boat needs. I sold the boat for $7,000, and I think you can still make a solid case for that number today given where used boats are priced these days....especially if you repower with MM and have a warranty. We know the drive is (or damn well should be) good - and the entire steering system was gone through with a zero feedback helm and new cable. Repower next spring, craigslist off the old engine (or parts) to minimize the budget hit, and then do the vinyl when you have time and budget. You can probably get away with the rear bench and sunpad only for now. ONce done, that boat may well outlast you for thousands less than anything else you can buy right now. So yeah, it sucks, you gotta put cash in it now....but think of the potential. The bones are still good.

In addition to the exhaust rubber couplers, I would also plan to look at the PDS bearings, since you're going to be pulling those anyway. Plenty of threads here on those, or let me know and I can facilitate a convo with Rick (2850 Bounty) directly and he can walk you through it. The boat was clearly a freshwater boat it's entire life, so I wouldn't expect any issues with corrosion.

Besides that, the structure should still be sound, including the transom and stringers. They were that way when I sold the boat and I don't think they stored her in water in that time. SO if the floors are still sound, the hull should be too.

For fun, here's some stock ads/photography from Bayliner. The boat was so new in 1986 they only had a line drawing of it in the brochures, but these came out after those were printed. Mine had the red boot stripes when I bought it but they were cracked, patched, and generally looked like s**t so I removed them.

You might also notice the gel coat was patched in spots, specifically up front, and along the starbord side about 5 feet forward of the transom. I believe the boat was scratched or sustained light gelcoat damage there at some point.

And another pic of an airborn '88 2655 since..well, it's awesome:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X