• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uggh. Makes me sick to my stomach.
    88 Capri 2150 305 OMC
    91 and 93 Yamaha Waverunner III 650
    Cincinnati, OH

Comment

What HP max do you think that VP275 outdrive can handle, was thinking of a 383 at 405Hp, maybe i need to tone it back to a 355 at 365Hp dyno'd. its a difference of $300 in the longblock

Any opinions, experience
      2450 Sportcruiser '86
      Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
      VP275

Comment

New Juice on the way..all new PDS bearing's and seals in hand and UJ spiders and engine compartment lifts on will call.

Matt went partial-longblock to try and reuse the upgrades you had previously invested in....Holley fueler and Delco EST sparker... that made my silver or gold to a Vorrtec roller guts decision hard..but those old flats lifters ran 30 years...just need the geriatric Zinc oil adders like us bipeds
        2450 Sportcruiser '86
        Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
        VP275

Comment

I think I am legitimately going to be sick. I am starting to really regret selling her. She deserved better, but at least she's getting the attention she needs. Nice job, Neo. Seriously.

I saw your deleted post on how much power the 275 can take - answer is more than you are willing to put in the engine bay. Donzi used to run these back in the 1970s with some really hot small blocks, and most of the gearing and drive components are shared with the 1.78 ratio big block drives.

Take a close look at the back of this bad boy:

So in short, go ahead and throw 300 - 350 hp at it. It can take it. The limiting factor here is the Sequential Lift Hull. The hull will get squirrley over 48 mph, but that's why the trim tabs are with her. THe boat performs REALLY well - she will plane off with 1 person on 2500 RPM or so, and top out at 48. Cruising at 30 mph she will SIP gas like a V6.

I can't wait to see the results of the repower, honestly. You are completing the plans I had for her when I owned her, and it's a thrill to see.
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

"Download_Complete" post=758750 wrote:

I saw your deleted post on how much power the 275 can take - answer is more than you are willing to put in the engine bay. Donzi used to run these back in the 1970s with some really hot small blocks, and most of the gearing and drive components are shared with the 1.78 ratio big block drives.

[color]#000088 wrote:
            Back in the 70s these all used the 1.61:1 gearing, as the 1.78:1 gearing is a 1983 and later Duo Prop ratio.

[/color]

So in short, go ahead and throw 300 - 350 hp at it. It can take it. The limiting factor here is the Sequential Lift Hull. The hull will get squirrley over 48 mph, but that's why the trim tabs are with her. THe boat performs REALLY well - she will plane off with 1 person on 2500 RPM or so, and top out at 48. Cruising at 30 mph she will SIP gas like a V6.

I can't wait to see the results of the repower, honestly. You are completing the plans I had for her when I owned her, and it's a thrill to see.
            [color]#000088 wrote:
            Neo, your mechanical questions would be best answered if posted in the Tech Section.

[/color]
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• sradjuster
              sradjuster commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello all... I am very new to the forum. I have read this over a few times when I purchased my boat last summer (8/2019). From what I read in the posts, this boat is a fairly rare boat...Not saying its all worth all that but it'd be nice to know what I have is possibly worth more than the average boat that is 34 yrs old. You guys are the only resource that has provided me with any good information to this boat. it still is mostly original from 1986. I did have to replace the wood of the bow seating and some other minor fixes but overall she's a quality vessel. One day I'll post a picture of her...
          Working...
          X