1986-Bayliner-2450-Ciera-Sportcruiser-gctid346621

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Neo" post=755376 wrote:
    Crazier story, (Matt) I just bought your old boat this afternoon and she still looks beautiful. :woohoo: ..little interior wear, but shes 30. Will tear through the raw water intake side of the engine and oil change this weekend and hope to water-test next week.
    Wait...what? Need details please.

Where are you located? Pics?
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I'm in Munster IN, the boat is still in Lansing at my BIL's. The gentleman you sold it to passed away a year ago or so as I understand it and his wife had it at a consignment sales boat place.they told it was scrap and they offered ridiculous price to "Take it off her hands". Long story short (She) is a friend of my BIL and and they were talking about the situation & I grabbed it up for the "Salvage Price" and picked it up yesterday. Dont want to post price but was less than$1K on trailer. It was allegedly out last season and the son had some overheat issues and had her towed in and they did nothing but winterize it and let it sit. So i am going to go through the raw intake side and see if she has a destroyed impeller, and ill order stats and an impeller since ill have it open. It is definitely yours (your name is on receipts for the outdrive work) as they kept immaculate records and receipts as you did, which is very sweet. Ill post you some pics if i can figure it out.i have a few on my phone.

2450 Sportcruiser '86
      Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
      VP275

Comment

Holy s#!t! That IS my old girl! And she still looks really, really good. Rear bench is starting to look like it needs help...can't tell if that's dirt or worse. Kim at Canvas Plus in Washington can make you new seat skins for it in the same exact pattern.

And the story you told just about made me sick. That boat is anything but scrap, even now. She still looks like she's in really solid shape...it even still has my stereo and the custom trailering cover I had made for it (and a very heady price - it's Sunbrella!).

I replaced the impeller personally about a year before I sold it (no receipts, but I guarantee I did it). The t-stat was original. So if they didn't do anything to the coolant side since then, then it's most likely the impeller since it's about 10 years old. It takes about 5 minutes to put a new one in, unless the old one disintegrated - then you have some digging to do. But the coolant system is dirt simple on that boat. The water neck hose from the outdrive could also be a concern - post up in the Tech forum if after you replace the t-stat and the impeller you still have issues. The water neck hose (hell, the entire boat for that matter) is original.

I bought the boat from Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, from Heartland Marine. I don't have any history on the boat, but my best guess is it wasn't used much - the grain was still on the steering wheel, and i also think it spent it's life in a boat house, or under cover on a lift. Things like the dash wasn't faded, the upholstery and carpet was original, and the trailer looked like it had sat outside all those years. So I don't think the trailer and the boat lived together until I bought it. I see it still has the spare tire mount I put on it, too.

One other concern - the carb is a holley, and we had to do some hacking to get it to work. Make sure she idles where it should. If I recall, it idled high when I sold it because I had JUST replaced the carb. I bought it from MichiganMotorz.

Do me a favor and stay in touch with me. That boat still means a lot to me, and I don't want that boat to run the risk of going to a junkyard again. If you decide to sell it, let me know, especially if you maintain it in it's current condition.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I will definitely keep in contact and if I may pick your brain a bit on what history you do know?, should the need arise that would be awesome. I will get some better photos and a little video, once shes lake worthy again.

Thank you for all this info and thank you for keeping all those records, i can piece together quite a bit from all the receipts.

The interior is just really dirty right now it was sitting under some huge trees, the sun deck pad is destroyed and one small tear in the rear bench is all I notices and she was mildewy, so I have her open to catch her breath for a few days.

The gel-coat looks excellent (just the bow trailer/bumper abrasion and a few debris nicks) and appears to have last seasons wax job intact, shes shiny in the sun.

If I ever get done enjoying the boat, or need to send her for adoption you will be the first guy I contact.

Dave
          2450 Sportcruiser '86
          Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
          VP275

Comment

The sun pad was starting to go when I sold her. I tried like hell to preserve the interior, but let's be honest - the vinyl is Grade C 1980s Bayliner and it's 30 years old. If you aren't opposed to putting money in her (and if you have seen the boat prices lately, I wouldn't hesitate at all), I would reach out to Kim Reitz at Canvas Plus (Phone: (360) 435-0932), and have those seat skins made. If nothing else, have the sunpad and the rear bench replaced - I don't think that will cost more than a grand. Kim worked for Bayliner's prototype interior department in the 1980s, and I know for a fact she has the patterns for the Sportcruiser....I called her about the sunpad 10 years ago. She doesn't need to see the boat at all - the patterns are Bayliner-specific and they are made to fit. Lots of glowing reviews for her here.

THe rest look pretty good from here at my monitor, so they can be cleaned with some Spray Nine (it's a marine cleaner), a Magic Eraser, and a medium-abrasion scrub brush. I can give you more info if you need it, but also use some 303 Protectant.
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Also - Spray Nine is an anti-mildew cleaner. Use that stuff before you touch the vinyl with anything else.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Excellent thanks, looks like Home Depot carries the Spray nine and O'Reilys carries the Gold Eagle 303 product line...would you recommend the 303 Fabric for that canvas top its still in great shape and i was thinking some UV protectant and water repellency boost would be a good thing? any experiences with it?
                2450 Sportcruiser '86
                Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
                VP275

Comment

"Neo" post=755464 wrote:
                  Excellent thanks, looks like Home Depot carries the Spray nine and O'Reilys carries the Gold Eagle 303 product line...would you recommend the 303 Fabric for that canvas top its still in great shape and i was thinking some UV protectant and water repellency boost would be a good thing? any experiences with it?
                  No, but yes, I would use the fabric, UV and water repellent protectant. LIke I said - that cover was NOT cheap. Rietesels Boat Covers in McHenry IL did the bow cover and the full boat cover: http://www.rietesels.com/photos/index.php
                  Matt Train
                  BOC Site Team
                  Chicagoland, IL

Comment

A few more points since you're still getting to know the boat -

THe windshield on that thing is super fragile, hard to find if you break it, and worth a small fortune if you do. Be VERY careful around the windshield.

When I sold it, the center opening section was starting to crack near the hinge in the aluminum structure. If it hasn't been fixed, get it fixed NOW.

If it doesn't have it, I would also invest in a bimini top. It has a convertible top that was only somewhat functional (thanks to the lack of snaps on the fragile windshield that nobody wanted to drill into). That was my biggest complaint with the boat when I bought it and never got around to adding one.

As you might not know - Volvos of this vintage do not have power trim, only power tilt. There are two positions - up, and down. The boat can be used with the drive tilted up (in shallow water) but only in FWD, and only at idle speed. On plane, the drive needs to be fully locked down, and the LED light on the dash needs to be off. Throw it into reverse when the drive is not locked down, and expensive and unpleasant things can occur.

Honestly you're close enough, if you ever need help and want to chat over a beer, let me know and I can head down your way and tell you anything you want to know.
                    Matt Train
                    BOC Site Team
                    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

HEre's some old pics of her:

Matt Train
                      BOC Site Team
                      Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Here's some old pics of her when I owned her. She was very well loved, well used, and taken care of:

Obligatory pic of me and my girlfriend, now wife:

Matt Train
                        BOC Site Team
                        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Thanks...looks a few years younger, but hasn't aged much (the Boat). The care given between you and the PO, have kept her looking great..I hope/plan to do the same. Hoping to see/witness my version of photo#2 once I get the paperwork cared for and get her overheat issues ironed out. I really like the guage set they used, first time I've seen the style. I am also impressed by how spacious the boat is, my uncle has a 32ft Crown, and I'd bet this boat has every bit of standing room or damn close including his cuddy. I'm off to go hop in that engine compartment and pull that impeller.

Thanks for all the info and responses...I am happy to have saved her from her ill fate or butchering for parts. Getting her at such a great price it makes dropping a few grand into her a bit more palatable.

Dave
                          2450 Sportcruiser '86
                          Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
                          VP275

Comment

If you need help with anything, I am about an hour away and I can be bribed with food.
                            Matt Train
                            BOC Site Team
                            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Matt,

Do you recall what you used to grease the zerks dry/wet? I've got a ton of PM parts to pickup today and would like to try to stay with what might be in there as to not mix the greases and breakdown.

edit" Oh Yeah..what oil were you running..a high mileage 10/40 dino (rotella - I run in my diesel) or synthetic

& I haven't gotten to trace it down yet, but what is the small chrome toggle switch in the stbd. battery compartment if this was even there when you had her..thanks

Also lots of gas in the oil...either fuel pump diaphragm shot and leaked (had it happen to an old 66 impala with an LT1) or I'm gonna take that Holley down and put her on the bench and see how shes jetted and where those floats are set.

Gonna pull plugs this afternoon and get some oil fogged in those cylinders and get her turned over by hand, fingers crossed.
                              2450 Sportcruiser '86
                              Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
                              VP275

Comment

Let's go one at a time -

"Neo" post=755681 wrote:
                                Matt,

Do you recall what you used to grease the zerks dry/wet? I've got a ton of PM parts to pickup today and would like to try to stay with what might be in there as to not mix the greases and breakdown.
                                Pretty sure I used standard Quicksilver marine grease...whatever I found at West Marine. When I moved last, I seem to recall throwing that stuff away.

edit" Oh Yeah..what oil were you running..a high mileage 10/40 dino (rotella - I run in my diesel) or synthetic
                                No synthetic, the engine is too old for that stuff. I used standard dyno oil of the same viscosity that's in the manual. I am assuming you didn't get the owners manual and documentation I gave them when I sold it? I still had the original owners manual from my dad's 1986 2450 that included the Sportcruiser, so I gave them that, including the Volvo Penta owners manual.

& I haven't gotten to trace it down yet, but what is the small chrome toggle switch in the stbd. battery compartment if this was even there when you had her..thanks
                                Sounds like something they added...I didn't add any such toggle switch. There's a chance it's for the drive lift - they were talking about adding one back there, but I have no idea if they followed through or not. I did add the battery switch setup...I assume that's still there?

Also lots of gas in the oil...either fuel pump diaphragm shot and leaked (had it happen to an old 66 impala with an LT1) or I'm gonna take that Holley down and put her on the bench and see how shes jetted and where those floats are set.

Gonna pull plugs this afternoon and get some oil fogged in those cylinders and get her turned over by hand, fingers crossed.
                                The fuel pump is relatively new - I had it replaced at Fox Lake Harbor when I had stumbling issues (thanks QuadraJet!). Yeah, that sounds like a serious issue...let me know what you find.

The engine was original when I sold it, and I am assuming it wasn't replaced, so there's a chance she may be getting tired. I ran the hell out of it - almost every weekend in the summer, sometimes literally all day because I used to run down to Chicago from Worth, cruise the lakefront, and then back to Worth.

I would suggest doing a compression test too, just to be sure. She was solid when I sold it (140ish straight across, which is well within tolerances) but who knows what 10 years has done to her.

Another suggestion: I advised the owners I sold the boat to to have the U Joints replaced, as they were starting to get rattly in hard-over maneuvers. And also to replace the bellows while they were in there. When you do get her running, crank the wheel over and listen to them to make sure it was done.

You will notice that the distributor was converted to electronic ignition, too. I did that right before I sold her.

Speaking of getting her running - standard MErc earmuffs won't work on VPs. Either buy the VP specific muffs, or disconnect the water hose from the transom shield and have someone in the engine compartment with a big bucket and running water to stick the hose in there.

Last suggestion: At 30 years old, the Primary Drive Shaft bearings are probably starting to need attention. You sound pretty mechanically inclined, but it's a big job - it requires removal of the engine. THere's plenty of resources here in the Tech Forums to do it (seriously, do a search), and I have Rick's (Bounty 2850) contact information to help you with how-to's and part sourcing. Luckilly it's not really hard to do, and there's plenty of room in the engine bay to do it.

Assuming you don't find anything else, though, once you tackle all of these issues and the engine is solid, the boat should last another 30 years with regular care. I did a lot of baseline maintenance to make sure she was healthy, and based on the pics, a lot of it is still intact.
                                Matt Train
                                BOC Site Team
                                Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
                                X