1986-Bayliner-2450-Ciera-Sportcruiser-gctid346621

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986-Bayliner-2450-Ciera-Sportcruiser-gctid346621

Anybody own one of these or know anything about them.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/649359=24009-2450.jpg[/img]

The boat in your picture is not a 1986-Bayliner-2450-Ciera-Sportcruiser.

Below is one.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/649388=24010-4956425_1.jpg[/img]
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
      The boat in your picture is not a 1986-Bayliner-2450-Ciera-Sportcruiser.
      Thought your pic was a Ciera Sunbridge. My 2150 looked just like that only smaller and it said Ciera Sunbridge on the side. Here are some more pics. and if it's not that what is it?

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

You definitely have a Sportcruiser. I have only seen 2 here. Download Complete (Matt) had one and would be the authority. Volvo 260 (5.7L) with a 275 outdrive. Basically a 2150 Capri on steroids, but with a Ciera hull (pocket cruiser). Nice boat. Very rare as they were only made in 86, from spare Ciera hulls before Bayliner changed the transom with a small cutout in 87.

Comment

Oooops. Now i have a red face. I went back and looked at the title of the boat i put up.

I saw you add:

http://www.boatparadise.com/boats/ad-148144/

Seems to be in very nice shape, and having a volvo is even nicer.
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

That is Matt's boat (with Matt in it!) I think he sold that about 2 years ago...

Comment

ronlord wrote:
              That is Matt's boat (with Matt in it!) I think he sold that about 2 years ago...
              Thanks I PM him under the handle download complete is this correct. Want to get info on this model boat.

Comment

Hi all. Sorry for the delay, I was out of the country on vacation. (Side note: If you were unsure about vacationing in Cozumel....just go).

So the pictures you posted are ALL of my boat, are ALL pictures I (or we, as in tbear) took, and from the original ad I ran on Craigslist 3 years ago. It must be a cached version, because I can almost promise you that the boat is not currently for sale. It was sold to a nice older guy down in Lansing IL and should currently be somewhere at a yard on Lake Michigan. These ghost ads pop up from time to time...I have seen three other "for sale" ads featuring my boat since I have sold it. So sorry to disappoint you. It WAS in beautiful condition...I would have happilly driven it on its own bottom to Saint Louis from Chicago...thats how much faith I had in it.

The Sportcruiser was the bowrider version of the 1987 - 1989 Ciera Sunbridge hull (the red one posted is the previous-generation hull that was used up to 1986 for the cruisers, and into 1987 for the Trophy fishing version). In other words, the Sportcruiser hull was the sneak peak at the then-new 1987 2450 Ciera Sunbridge, and the only version of that hull that was Volvo powered.

It was huge. It had a very deep V hull and rode very well. It wasn't the most nimble thing in the world for water sports since it was a cruiser hull, but the ride was awesome, and because it didn't have the weight of the cruiser superstructure, it planed very fast on half-throttle, hauled *** and sipped gas on a 5.7L V8. The Volvo powerplant was great, and i would own another in a second. Had a porta potty, and seating for 10 comfortably.

Sadly, it was super-limited production. They only had a few hulls to make the model from, and it didn't sell well, so Bayliner canned it for 1987. I think they were trying to go after the day boats Wellcraft was putting out (similar to Crownline now). And because most of the interior is vinyl and wood, it suffers the same fate as most 1986 and 1987 Bayliner bowriders do....its nearly 30 years old and most of them are rotten POSs by now. When I bought mine 5 years ago, I had been looking for 5 years, and I considered mine a lucky find when I found it. I had to drive over 1000 miles to get it.

Hope that helps.
                Matt Train
                BOC Site Team
                Chicagoland, IL

Comment

• sradjuster
                  sradjuster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Matt, do you still participate in these forums? trying to find an "expert" and this post and you seem to have things locked up...you are the only result I can Google...I hope to hear back from you...many thanks

Download_Complete wrote:
                Hi all. Sorry for the delay, I was out of the country on vacation. (Side note: If you were unsure about vacationing in Cozumel....just go).

So the pictures you posted are ALL of my boat, are ALL pictures I (or we, as in tbear) took, and from the original ad I ran on Craigslist 3 years ago. It must be a cached version, because I can almost promise you that the boat is not currently for sale. It was sold to a nice older guy down in Lansing IL and should currently be somewhere at a yard on Lake Michigan. These ghost ads pop up from time to time...I have seen three other "for sale" ads featuring my boat since I have sold it. So sorry to disappoint you. It WAS in beautiful condition...I would have happilly driven it on its own bottom to Saint Louis from Chicago...thats how much faith I had in it.

The Sportcruiser was the bowrider version of the 1987 - 1989 Ciera Sunbridge hull (the red one posted is the previous-generation hull that was used up to 1986 for the cruisers, and into 1987 for the Trophy fishing version). In other words, the Sportcruiser hull was the sneak peak at the then-new 1987 2450 Ciera Sunbridge, and the only version of that hull that was Volvo powered.

It was huge. It had a very deep V hull and rode very well. It wasn't the most nimble thing in the world for water sports since it was a cruiser hull, but the ride was awesome, and because it didn't have the weight of the cruiser superstructure, it planed very fast on half-throttle, hauled *** and sipped gas on a 5.7L V8. The Volvo powerplant was great, and i would own another in a second. Had a porta potty, and seating for 10 comfortably.

Sadly, it was super-limited production. They only had a few hulls to make the model from, and it didn't sell well, so Bayliner canned it for 1987. I think they were trying to go after the day boats Wellcraft was putting out (similar to Crownline now). And because most of the interior is vinyl and wood, it suffers the same fate as most 1986 and 1987 Bayliner bowriders do....its nearly 30 years old and most of them are rotten POSs by now. When I bought mine 5 years ago, I had been looking for 5 years, and I considered mine a lucky find when I found it. I had to drive over 1000 miles to get it.

Hope that helps.
                I figured it was sold from the age of the ad but I mostly wanted info. I will keep looking, one came available here a few years back but at that time did not know much about Bayliners.

Comment

over40pirate wrote:
                  I figured it was sold from the age of the ad but I mostly wanted info. I will keep looking, one came available here a few years back but at that time did not know much about Bayliners.
                  I highly recommend it, if you can find one. (big if). You need to make sure it is in good shape, with good interior and solid floors. Fair prices would be between $4,500 and $7,500 sitting on a trailer, in turnkey condition. Almost all of them had 5.7L Volvos with 275 outdrives. Some had trim tabs, most didn't. It was a 2450 Ciera Sunbridge hull though, so you can plainly see on the transom where the tabs bolt to and they can be retrofitted. It can also be retrofitted with a DuoProp lower unit thanks to the Volvo powerplant.

I bought mine for $5500 on the trailer, put about $3,000 in it in maintenance and repairs, kept it 3 years, put a massive amount of running time on the engine, experienced a lot of great cruises, towed three boats in (two of them significantly newer) and in general have glowing memories of the thing. For the price, you will not find a same-size bowrider with a water system and a head. Performance wise, she topped out at between 43 and 48 mph depending on load and the day. She saw Lake of the Ozarks, Mississippi River, Lake Geneva, Lake Michigan, the Chicago River, the Illinois River, and the Chain O Lakes, and I wasn't afraid to trailer her anywhere I wanted to. She could even be launched, run, and retrieved solo.

I had some problems with her, as anyone would considering she was 25 years old. The carburetor (the second boat I have had with the damned thing) was a recurring issue. All 5.7L Volvos ran a 4bbl Rochester, and every single one I have ever driven had the same flat-spot/backfire issue when you firewall the throttle. I finally got sick of it and replaced it with a Holley, and that solved the problem. Looking back, I would have tried to rebuild the Rochester with a competant mechanic, of which there are none here in Northern IL.

Repairs: I love the AQ series Volvos, but finding competant mechanics around here to fix them is next to impossible. I had to try three places before I found someone who was competant enough to repair a carburetor issue. General drive repairs were pretty easy, but I notice nobody followed the manual on stuff like drive lubricant (they used Merc High Performance Gear Lube when you are instead supposed to used motor oil).

Overall though, the boat was trouble free and reliable. I got a lot of compliments on it and it took some seriously big water out on Lake Michigan.

I saw a pretty nice one pop up last month, but I can't find it now. Wasn't as nice as mine, but it was close.
                  Matt Train
                  BOC Site Team
                  Chicagoland, IL

Comment

BINGO:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2756669492.html

Looks like she might be sold though.
                    Matt Train
                    BOC Site Team
                    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Hi i`m a new member and looking at some of the posting i can say i hav a true 2450 sportcruiser and the one in the pic is just like mines and it is a very nice boat !! But if anybody ask it is not for sale not or every lol lol !!

Comment

Welcome....I know 1 or 2 guys here owned that boat here as far as I can remember.......

Comment

yes it is a nice boat but i do got a little work to do to her but i have tooken her out she rides real nice this is my second boat and i love it thats why i think i'll never sale it !! I got some interior work to do to it , so if any body out there have the same boat can you post some pics of your interior so i can get an ideal of how the inside should look like mines needs a little restoreing !!!!! it has no panel..

Comment

Sure. Here's the two albums I have of mine:

http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=35836

http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=36400

Mine had an all-original interior with original floor, so as far as pictures are concerned, mine is as authentic as it gets.
                            Matt Train
                            BOC Site Team
                            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
                            X