two-stroke engine bans-gctid390661

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two-stroke engine bans-gctid390661

Does anyone know of any regulations banning all two-stroke engines? I'm looking at used boats right now, one of which is 2000 Capri with a Mercury 125 hp outboard, which I understand to be a 2-stroke. A local dealer (Colorado) told me that some lakes regulated by both state and federal (eg Powell) governments will be instituting a ban starting next year. Online, I've only been able to find references to bans on 2-stroke PWCs, but not boats, and "potential" for expanding the ban to all boats. We'd be using the boat in CO, other western states, and probably MO (Lake of the Ozarks). Any clarification on 2-stroke regulations/bans in any of these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I doubt they would get away with it....too many 2 strokes. Check with your state representative...what kind of Capri are you looking at?

Comment

Alot i mean alot of lakes now ban 2 strokes.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

FISHIN00 wrote:
        I doubt they would get away with it....too many 2 strokes. Check with your state representative...what kind of Capri are you looking at?
        It's a 2000 18 ft. We're looking for an inexpensive boat that will hopefully retain it's value over the next year or two while we figure out if we're going to be a boat family. My wife and I both grew up playing on lakes in Missouri and Georgia, but it's not as easy here in Colorado with a shorter season, fewer lakes, and somany other outdoor options. but we still want to expose our kids to the water activities to see if they like it. Any thoughts you have on the used 18-ft Capri would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
          Alot i mean alot of lakes now ban 2 strokes.
          Thanks for the reply. Can you give examples? ...it might help me figure out if it's specific to a state or region, federal vs. state, etc.

Comment

A good source of information can be local bait and tackle shops, along with the local service shops. They often know all the particulars about the local lakes.

Comment

Never heard of anyone banning 2 strokes, that would remove the majority of existing outboards from the lake.

Comment

I believe they are banned at Lake Tahoe.

Comment

one of the things I found via google:

http://www.nps.gov/lake/parkmgmt/twostroke.htm

Just use "lake 2 stroke ban" as search and you get more than you like. Looks like CA is heading the effort. It also looks like 2-stokes meeting the 2006 EPA regulations can be used.

Comment

Seems like yet another reason to stay clear of CA. We've got no nonsense like that around here, it would be hilarious to see someone try to enact a rule like that in MN. Can't even imagine how many 2 stroke outboards there are in MN.

Comment

jbaker wrote:
                      It's a 2000 18 ft. We're looking for an inexpensive boat that will hopefully retain it's value over the next year or two while we figure out if we're going to be a boat family. My wife and I both grew up playing on lakes in Missouri and Georgia, but it's not as easy here in Colorado with a shorter season, fewer lakes, and somany other outdoor options. but we still want to expose our kids to the water activities to see if they like it. Any thoughts you have on the used 18-ft Capri would also be appreciated. Thanks.
                      I have a 2000 Capri 1802 Cuddy Cabin 90hp Merc,5hp Merc 4str kicker.

Comment

The largest lake in Whatcom County, Wa excludes all 2-stroke, including PWC. You can buy them pretty cheap here right now.
                        Tally and Vicki
                        "Wickus" Meridian 341
                        MMSI 338014939

Comment

Would i recommend a i/o engine combo yes i would.

18'-20' cuddy with a port-a-potti or your wife and kids.

3.0l engine would burn around 4-5 gallons a hour run time. Maybe a 1992 up should get you on the water cheaply and safely.

With the trailer around 2500 dollars here in Nj.
                          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

but a 1992 trailer in NJ will consist 99% from rust..... Had to live there for 5 years........ And the boat may have some cracks where it sits on the bunks from the potholes in the highways.

Comment

Two strokes are banned in Lake Tahoe. Took all the value out of two strokes in this area, affected a lot of jet skis. When the law was implemented several years ago, it was discussed as the future arriving and that we would soon see the same thing at Donner Lake. None of that has come true to date.

Comment

Working...
                              X