How to select the correct prop?-gctid749380

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to select the correct prop?-gctid749380

I'm looking to install a 4 blade prop on my 2016 215 DB with 4.3 MPI 220 hp A1G2. How do I know determine what to buy. I have not gotten to WOT on my engine yet as I only have about 4 hour on the engine. I don't have the time of funds to just by props and try them.
    2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
    Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
    1992 Johnson 40HP.

The general rule of thumb with a 4 blade, is to use the stock size, minus one on the pitch to get the same gearing as stock. If your engine isn't even broken in yet, why are you looking for a new prop? Get it broken in and see how it works. Until you know how it works over the full rev range, there's no point in guessing what alternate sizes will be suitable. Mercury has a prop calculator that you can use, and you can input your intended usage, but still, get it broken in, and see what it will do before making any big changes.
    1996 2252 LS Capri Cuddy Cabin. Merc. 5.7L . Port Perry, Ontario, Canada.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I don't plan to purchase a new prop until I finish my break in. Once do that and I can confirm my WOT. But right now feel that I'm losing bite on turns. I have tried lowering the drive move in turn but it just does not feel right. I was hoping a 4 blade prop would solve that issue. I have checked out Mercury's Prop selector but I need a lot of info to get that right. Hopefully I can get that info to correctly select a prop from them.

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

getting the right prop for your boat is a hard one yes they have charts but they may not be right for your application ,i have a 2556 and bayliner has told me that the 15.5 x 15 is the right 1 but its

not rpms are to low no where near the 4600 its suppose to get so now i will try 15.5 x 13 ,good luck (unfortunately i live in a small town on an island the only props available are yamahas so i must buy and try)
        1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
        located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

Comment

Thanks. I that what i would like to avoid buying several props to find the right one. The charts are all over the place on what to buy. Good luck with your next prop.

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

good luck to you also and have a great day
            1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
            located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

Comment

Google Mercury prop selector
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ
              sigpic
              2000 Bayliner 2858
              "GETAWAY"
              MMSI: 338094599
              In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I have the 4.3 on a 185 but the TKS 190 hp. I had originally a 14x23 3blades. Swap for a 4 blades 14X19 Turning point prop. RPM stayed the same but I lost 4 mph at top speed. Holeshot much better...what I was looking for

Use there tool https://turningpointpropellers.com/

Comment

Get with a good local prop shop that will work with you. When I re-propped my boat I was allowed to "purchase" a prop a try it out. As long as I returned the prop in as new condition I could use the money as credit towards another prop. This allowed me to dial it in without breaking the bank. Once you have good numbers a prop shop can help you dial it in. My final prop is a PT prop. Give them a call, they have a lot of information on thier product, very happy with mine.

I wrote a complete thread on this site on propping my boat that you might find helpful. Good luck. K
                  Kevin & Robyn
                  Koppers Kove
                  MMSI 338206107
                  2001 Bayliner 2452
                  5.7 B2 PT BRA3 17p

Comment

Working...
                  X