Bayliner 175, boat snaps loose/stripped out-gctid748206

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 175, boat snaps loose/stripped out-gctid748206

I did a search but didn't find anything. I've had a few fall out completely and a few more that won't tighten. It looks like they thread into the fiberglass itself and the hole is stripped

I'll talk to the dealer obviously as the boat is new. Just wondering would something like JB Weld hold them in place? Lock Tight? I'm not familiar with fiberglass so I don't know what options someone would use....
    2015 Bayliner 175
    3.0L, Alpha 1
    Paradise, NL, Canada

I have had a few do this over time, granted my boat is not brand new. I removed the screw and put in a clear silicone and then put the screw back in. that has solved my issues. Seeing as your boat is new sounds like someone maybe used too big a drill bit to pre drill the holes

Comment

Do you mean the snaps for the canvas? Id use something like 3m 4200 to really hold them in. Maybe use a little epoxy and glass bead mix to back fill and re drill the hole if ut was pretty wallowed out.
      88 Capri 2150 305 OMC
      91 and 93 Yamaha Waverunner III 650
      Cincinnati, OH

Comment

use an epoxy filler for the lholes. let it dry and replace them. I moved mine a little distance from the original holes. Works fine. Also! put a little, wd 40 on the inside ;of the female snaps from time to time, and they will never get stiff. Use caution when unbuttoning them.

Comment

"hardconco" post=748234 wrote:
          use an epoxy filler for the lholes. let it dry and replace them. I moved mine a little distance from the original holes. Works fine. Also! put a little, wd 40 on the inside ;of the female snaps from time to time, and they will never get stiff. Use caution when unbuttoning them.
          +1 on the epoxy.

I use a light weight oil and apply with a q tip to the female snap.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I have never had it happen but I would think either 4200 or 5200 or repair the fiberglass and reset the fittings.
            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Previous boat: 1993 3055
            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE
            Life is short. Boats are cool.
            The family that plays together stays together.
            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

"hardconco" post=748234 wrote:
              I have to use the original holes because of the cover. So are you suggesting using filler, let dry, and then re tap the hole, or use filler and put the screw in right away and let dry?
              2015 Bayliner 175
              3.0L, Alpha 1
              Paradise, NL, Canada

Comment

I'd use 5200 and install new male part with new screw and leave it to dry well. Oil or WD on the female part is a good idea. You can buy the male part including screw for cheap. Be sure they are SS.

Comment

"CraigM" post=748412 wrote:
                  ]

I have to use the original holes because of the cover. So are you suggesting using filler, let dry, and then re tap the hole, or use filler and put the screw in right away and let dry?
                  Either way will work. The urethane (5200) will also work but if the screw hole is extremely striped out the epoxy may be a more permanent solution.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                  (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                  The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Once repaired, use this tool to remove canvas from boat snaps.

Just insert between canvas and boat snap and gently pry off. Easy to use and prevents pulling on canvas to remove. I always use this tool, even though my snaps are easy to remove on their own.

The other end is used to snap the canvas to the boat when the fit is tight.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                    2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                    12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

"oakplank" post=748477 wrote:
                      Once repaired, use this tool to remove canvas from boat snaps.

Just insert between canvas and boat snap and gently pry off. Easy to use and prevents pulling on canvas to remove. I always use this tool, even though my snaps are easy to remove on their own.

The other end is used to snap the canvas to the boat when the fit is tight.

[attachment]28302 wrote:
                      image_2016-07-05.jpeg[/attachment]
                      That is an awesome tool mate, wonder if we can get it in the UK, cheers Oakplank, job done...

Comment

Since the boat is new from the dealer, it's going in next month for snap repair, and the speedometer, which hasn't worked since I got it. Don't want to bring it in now as I'm on vacation and the boat is at the lake
                        2015 Bayliner 175
                        3.0L, Alpha 1
                        Paradise, NL, Canada

Comment

"builderdude" post=748464 wrote:
                          "CraigM" post=748412 wrote:
                          ]

Either way will work. The urethane (5200) will also work but if the screw hole is extremely striped out the epoxy may be a more permanent solution.
                          I would use marine epoxy. West System has a product that comes in a caulking tube and a tip that mixes the product as you dispense. Let cure and re drill. Tape the surrounding area as once it cures, it ain't coming off.
                          "Martini's Law"
                          1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
                          Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Here is a trick a friend of mine showed me... Cut a 3/4" piece of stranded 16 - 18 awg wire leaving the insulation in place. Place the wire in the hole and rescrew the threaded snap into the hole. The wire will fill the gap and secure the snap.
                            Greg A.
                            1994 4788
                            "Simplicity"
                            2002 Capri 175
                            "Little GFI"
                            Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta

Comment

Working...
                            X