Use trailer cover for mooring-gctid745116

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use trailer cover for mooring-gctid745116

My 185 came with a cover. It has the straps and hooks for attaching to trailer, but it also has an elastic drawstring that goes all the way around and ropes fore and aft to tie down. My question is...is there any reason why this couldn't be used as a cover for mooring? The boat does not have the snaps. If not, any suggestions for a 185 mooring cover?

I would venture to guess your cover will sag and collect water without the straps keeping tension on your cover. Even with the straps pulled tight on my 192 on the trailer and a couple of "bridges" under it the cover would sag a touch in spots and collect water.

There are a coupe of bow riders that have tried using a trailering cover on the water in the marina that I am at and none that I have seen has had much luck or any sort of success for that matter. I think the best bet would be to install some snaps to get a proper fitting mooring cover.

Mike
    2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
    2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
    2000 Ciera 2455 sold
    Redmond, Washington
    The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

You can buy "vented boat cover support poles" on Amazon for about $25-30. You have cut a 2" hole in your cover for the "vent" to work/go thru. I did this on my pontoon and it works great! The support poles are adjustable. Also I have heard bowrider owners who get inflatable beach balls and blow them up and place them in the bow seats to help with the "angle" of the cover to prevent water pooling and intrusion into the bow. I

Regardless, I'd mooring outside in the elements, I would definitely add a truly automatic bilge pump. Many 185's say they have an auto bilge pump, but in reality they do not.
      Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
      1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

"xpanther" post=745116 wrote:
        My 185 came with a cover. It has the straps and hooks for attaching to trailer, but it also has an elastic drawstring that goes all the way around and ropes fore and aft to tie down. My question is...is there any reason why this couldn't be used as a cover for mooring? The boat does not have the snaps. If not, any suggestions for a 185 mooring cover?
        I've also used the trailer cover that came with my 16' Element. This year I had the snaps added to the boat and cover. I asked the marina to leave the loops on the cover for trailering. It's the best of both worlds. Just make sure that they sew a re-inforcement piece of material on the inside of the cover. This will prevent you from tearing the snaps out of the cover material. The cover is now nice and tight when moored with no water pooling. I had my snaps installed just below the rubrail. The reason is so that the glass between the usual cover location and the rubrail won't yellow in the sun over time. I had a boat that had bright white glass under the cover and yellowed glass where exposed over time. It looked sick with the cover removed.

Parts and labor was around $200.
        Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
        2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
        12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

My cover came with areas to snap poles to which I've been using during trailering. I'm going to have a guy make some pocketed cleat holes on the cover and give it a try. I imagine covering it on the water will be amusing.

Comment

Thats how I am using mine. My dealer said it should last about 3 years. I'm going to try and make it last 5.
            2016 190 Deck Boat
            150 Mercury 4 stroke
            Arkansas

Comment

ive used the bow cover and cockpit cover and then put the trailer cover over both and its worked pretty good at keeping the boat dry

Comment

I had Leta's Top Shop make a custom cover for my 13' Boston Whaler. The intent was to cover the whole top of the boat and outboard power head, and to be able to use it while trailering, as well as mooring. Leta made a cover that came below the rub-rail. The cover has a pocket sewn all around the edge with a rope inside it. When mooring I simply cinch the rope tight. It also has buckles all around to use with straps while trailering. I actually use a couple of straps when mooring just in case. I attach one to the bow eye and wrap the other one around the outboard lower. The cover also has a pole grommet up front.

In practice the cover has worked great. Rainwater does not puddle on it. It's also been through a few high wind events at the marina and it has stayed put.

BTW, I had Leta add four snaps to the top of the cover to attach a semi flexible solar panel. This keeps the battery charged.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

That's exactly what I do, seems to work pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                  X