Element Smart Tab Review-gctid738100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element Smart Tab Review-gctid738100

Hey folks, newbie here. I have a 2014 Element and have the Nauticus Smart Tabs to install, however I have seen someone on here say they cause the bow to go down in flowing seas. The boat is used in smaller lakes most of the time but it does see large open bays from time to time with near constant swell of 1m at a minumum. Im wondering if it will cause problems when on the open water or if the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I have a little bit of a different boat than what you have. Reading about sx tabs I bit and bought 40's. I installed them and this is my 2nd season with them. I was pleased the way they kept the bow down on hole shots (middle setting) . However I found at top end the boat tittered (not chine walk) and the control was questionable, also slowed the performance. So I backed off on the setting the by one hole. This seemed to stop the tittering but now the bow comes up(not all the way) on the hole shot, and top end is back to normal. For me I'm thinking I didn't need them. I didn't experience the bow digging into the water.http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/me...4-100_2044.jpg
    Jay Myers
    Raystown Lake Huntingdon PA
    2013 170 115fs
    2011 Jeep Compass

Comment

Welcome to the forum!!

You may have to play with the settings, to get it just right for open water. In your case a regular set of trim tabs may be a better option.
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

If you're talking about my post, I said "following seas." When waves are going in the same direction as your course. Backing off the smart tabs one hole seems to have corrected the problem.

Are you sure you want to be operating an Element in one meter seas? That's a long way above your deck when you're in a trough, and you could get into serious problems if you get squished between two waves.

Comment

Thanks, Im not talking about 1m waves, just the normal long rolling swell on the bay. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

"Kilroy" post=738661 wrote:
            If you're talking about my post, I said "following seas." When waves are going in the same direction as your course. Backing off the smart tabs one hole seems to have corrected the problem.

Are you sure you want to be operating an Element in one meter seas? That's a long way above your deck when you're in a trough, and you could get into serious problems if you get squished between two waves.
            Yes I was talking about your post, thanks for the help. Also, Im not talking about 1m waves, just the normal long rolling swell on the bay in this area. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Hey NL Element. Hows your smart tab doing on the ocean? I just got mine today,but haven't put it on yet. I know what you mean when riding with the wave I have the same problem. Just wondering if the smart tab help. I have the element 16ft with the 60hp only and also did you have to move the tie down for your transom into the trailer?

Comment

I am thinking about installing the smart tabs and thought with the PR500 Plate Retractor you can lock the tabs in up position for use in the bay. Then lower them to normal posiition for lakes and rivers.
                2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp Mercury Fourstroke

Comment

I installed my smart tabs 2 days ago and took it out today. It made a huge difference. I installed them to middle setting. I'm going to try to raise it one (back it off) and see what that does mainly since the bow doesn't rise at all. It planes so easy at slow speed. It does not appear to plow. Top speed seems to be the same 43 mph by gps with motor trimmed up with no porpoising. That is with just me on it. I have the 115hp Element XL. The transom straps do not touch them. Also added the PR500 plate retractor kit so i could move them up effectively turning them off. I did not have an issue backing up at all.

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp Mercury Fourstroke

Comment

75hp Element 160 here, with Nauticus SX 60's installed. I have mine set to position 2 rather than 3(middle setting). I wasn't crazy about the boat nosing down in following seas. This is a non issue on position 2. I recommend it
                    2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

Comment

Working...
                    X