Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

175 drain plug issue-gctid388480

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    175 drain plug issue-gctid388480

    So after my first use of my just purchased 2004 bayliner 175xt, i was removing the drain plug. As i broke her loose i noticed the entire drain hole moved with the plug as i loosened it, maybe an 1/8" movement. I try to follow the tight, but not too tight method. Maybe i did have her in there too snug, but i did notice someone has splooged some silicone where the drain hole meets the transom. Is this common on these boats? Anyone have a fix?

    #2
    If the base is moving, then you have broken the seal to the transom and will have water introduced into the wood of your transom. This needs to be fixed as soon as possible, but it is not a difficult project.

    First, make sure that the screws will actually tighten in their existing holes. Then if they will, all you need to do is remove the screws and the base...clean the gelcoat area...and reattach the base using some 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant on the backside of the base flange. You may want to let the area dry out a little after the base is removed (my suggestion). Don't be stingy with the 5200 when you reinstall...you can easily wipe the excess off while insuring that you have a good airtight seal. Use some more sealant in the screw holes as you put the screws back....

    If the screw(s) just want to turn without tightening in the first step, you just need to rotate the base and drill new pilot holes in a fresh area. Now the screws will tighten properly when you reinstall the base. Be sure to dap some 5200 into the original holes before your place the base back into position.

    The actual plug just needs to be handtight, and then about 1/8th of a turn to do its job. It is a pipe thread, and doesn't need to be cranked down.

    Be sure to let the 5200 'cure' for a decent time BEFORE you try to use your plug....

    Happy boating!
    Boating Supplies

    Comment


      #3
      I did put a screwdriver on the bolts and they tightened to wear they would not tighten anymore so i should be good with the existing holes. Thanks very much for the help. Maybe i'll post a little how to when the project is all done, naturally i'll give you all the credit.

      Comment


        #4
        Did you complete your project? This thread help me so much.

        Comment


          #5
          I ordered the 3m 5200 fast curing sealant from amazon yesterday, should have it early next week. I will probably do the project late next week, post pictures and such over the weekend.

          Comment


            #6
            I hate silicone. If indeed someone used that, you would be wise to scrape or sand to remove all residue. Its a potential contaminate.
            ________________________
            John
            1988 Bayliner 2556
            5.7L OMC Cobra

            Comment


              #7
              Will do
              ..........

              Comment


                #8
                just thought I would let you know the project is done and went extremely well. Thanks again Rocky_Road you the man. here is the link to the job.

                http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...d=1#post696582

                Comment

                Working...
                X