Easy question for recent model year 17-19 foot bayliners-gctid388358

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy question for recent model year 17-19 foot bayliners-gctid388358

I just got some new lounge (back to back) seats for my old boat. They have a piano hinge where the seat base connects with the seat back. One side of the hinge is connected to the seat base, the other is hanging free. (This is not the hinge that connects the seat base to the back....that's a plastic thing with a metal rod going through it). These are seats meant for a 2011 Runabout.Here's a pic from the website I bought them from:

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/691907=28389-27621-4-lg.jpg[/img]And here's a pic in my boat:Anyone know what this hinge is meant to do? I've got the seats in my boat now just fine, but this hinge is just hanging loose.... (new seat vs. old just for fun comparison)

Can't help with the hinge but where did you get the seats? I didn't know you could get such good replacements.

Comment

Mariner wrote:
      Can't help with the hinge but where did you get the seats? I didn't know you could get such good replacements.
      http://greatlakesskipper.com/categor...nge-seats.html

$350 for the pair, (+$130 for shipping, but I had my dad pick em up, he lives in Milwaukee, and then I got them from him when I went there over memorial day).

They are beautiful quality and brand new. Widthwise, the "brackets" that hold the metal rod that the seat slides on fit perfectly. The groove that the rod slides along is just slightly off. Basically, the grooves are the right height, but they are too close together, (or put another way, the brackets that hold the rod have moved further "out" (forward and backwards) compared to my 1987 originals). I used my dremel to sand out a new notch for the seats in the fully "up" position. They are super secure in the fully up position, but the groove is not long enough to allow them to quite fully recline. I could grind that bit out too, and I might sooner or later, but we never lay the damn things flat anyway, so at the moment I haven't gone that far. Would probably only be another half hour with the dremel to complete the conversion though.

Comment

Thanks for the link my friend has been looking for replacements.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Wow I never even would have thought that the 2011 seats would fit in our 80's bayliners! I wish I would've known that a few years ago when I recovered the seats. I might've saved myself the headache and just bought those. Especially since they have a plastic frame. Nice work!

As for the hinge, it would appear as though it should be screwed in to the seat bottom. I know on the originals there were piano hinges on the top as well as the bottoms. Good luck, and again nice work on figuring out that they actually fit! Depending on where I go with my boat from here I may look at the same option in the future.

Comment

husika42 wrote:
            Wow I never even would have thought that the 2011 seats would fit in our 80's bayliners! I wish I would've known that a few years ago when I recovered the seats. I might've saved myself the headache and just bought those. Especially since they have a plastic frame. Nice work!

As for the hinge, it would appear as though it should be screwed in to the seat bottom. I know on the originals there were piano hinges on the top as well as the bottoms. Good luck, and again nice work on figuring out that they actually fit! Depending on where I go with my boat from here I may look at the same option in the future.
            Yeah, I was surprised that Bayliner has changed so little in 25 years. I had expected more work. I asked the seller to measure the width of the bracket, and they came back with 11 3/8". I measured my box with my old seats still in it, and I came up with 10.5" on the inside.

Turns out we were BOTH off in our measurements. Both the brackets and my box are 10.75" wide, perfect fit!

The hinges are already screwed into the seat base. The other side LOOKS like it might screw into the seat back, but it's not long enough, the gap is too large. I have no idea what it's supposed to attach to...

Comment

I'd look at mine and tell you, but it's back at Bayliner to replace a leaking gas tank. However, might it be associated with the recliner feature? - a plastic bit that pops up and holds the seat bottom up when fully reclined, so you have a lounge chair sort of thing?

Comment

Working...
              X