Bayliner 175 hard to steer problem solved.-gctid730869

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 175 hard to steer problem solved.-gctid730869

This Spring our 175 was getting harder and harder to steer. Especially when it was cold. I had to use two hands to get it to turn until it ran for 15 minutes or more and then it would loosen up some. Not much but some. I knew that if this kept up, I was going to snap the cable soon. After researching around, I fixed the problem and I hope my experience can help others.

It first I thought it was that the cable was dried out and needed oiling or replacing. The cable runs from the rack and pinion steering behind the steering wheel back to the actuator that turns the outdrive. The steering cable ends at a Large Lock Nut; from there it becomes a telescoping ram that connects to the steering system. While looking things over I noticed that the actuator rod at the end was all sticky and gummed up with dried dirty grease. The first obvious step was to try to clean it up and re-lube it. I first turned the steering wheel all the way one way to expose as much of the ram as possible. I cleaned off all the old gummy grease off the exposed portion of the ram with a rag and paint thinner. When it was clean and dry I re-greased the ram with a good WATER PROOF MARINE GREASE.

I then undid the large nut at the end of the steering cable where it goes into tube /ram portion. Then I turned the steering wheel all the way in the opposite direction to expose the inner ram. (If you grab the cable by the plastic jacket and pull it towards the side of the boat, you can expose more of the ram portion. It might be possible to pull it out all the way but I only did as much as I could without pulling too hard.) Now you have that part of the ram out of the support tube as much as possible. I cleaned off this part of the ram as above and then re greased it and then pushed it back in and put the large nut back on.

What an amazing difference. If your steering is starting to stiffen up I highly recommend doing this.

It took under an hour and now I can steer using only one finger!

Thanks for posting - these "problem solved" posts I find very helpful.

Cheers, Greg

Comment

I need to try this on mine, it takes a bit of effort and is slow to move when I am trying to to make tight turns into the boat slip
      2003 Bayliner 185 4.3 Mercruiser , 60lbs Smart Tabs :lol:

Comment

Do you have any pictures? I've been planning to do the same, but a bit worried about damaging something during the season
        Crash Override
        1989 Bayliner 2455
        Ford 351W (5.8l) OMC Cobra
        Mods: Custom pulpit, 8 million candle power of LED lighting, Lowrance Hook 5, Uniden UM380BK VHF w/8' Whip, Custom 3,000lb cable drive winch w/150 cable+rode, Sound system, upgraded sleeping quarters.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into this on my 99 1950Capri CL.

Comment

I'm in as well. 2005 195 Classic acts the same way.

Thanks, Woody.
            2005 Bayliner 195 Classic BR
            A1 G2
            3.0 Merc 135HP

Comment

In the owners manual for my 88 OMC it tells you to grease the power steering actuator and ram every 6 months. I've been doing this since I got the boat in 2002. The p/s on this boat is so light it twirls around like the p/s on an American car from the 70s. You can literally turn it with 2 fingers. All original; pump, helm unit, cable, actuator. Always in salt water too. Grease it at least once a season.
              88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
              98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
              07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Thanks for the great tip, my 04 175 is in dire need.

Zack

Comment

Working...
                X