Drain question.....-gctid386830

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain question.....-gctid386830

How much water is normal when you take out the plug in the rear of the boat? We went to the local lake today for my B-Day. 2 hours total running time. When i put the boat on the trailer and pulled the plug out, about 2 to 3 cups of water drained. Is that normal?

Thanks.....

Unless you had swimmers in and out of the boat NO !

Should remain bone dry otherwise.

Comment

Could be...is it possible that was water in boat from before..like bow was down and all didn't drain before plug installed......or..do you have a cooler that drains into bilge.....not sure type of boat you have but some models have AC drains in bilge......did you use anchor? Some have anchor storage that drains in bilge...rough water? Hit any waves that splashed over sides.....was bilge plug tight?.......or.....it has a leak

Comment

with a fiberglass boat there should be zero water in the bilge unless it came in from rain, swimmers or waves going over the bow.

I was 18h on the water and there wasn't a drop of water in the bilge.

Comment

kjs wrote:
          with a fiberglass boat there should be zero water in the bilge unless it came in from rain, swimmers or waves going over the bow.

I was 18h on the water and there wasn't a drop of water in the bilge.
          Our boat was in the water for 4 days over the Easter break and no water.

Comment

I have a new 2012 170 OB Bayliner and I always have water coming out of the boat when I take the plug out. I also use the bilge pump now and then to drain water. I assume since I have an outboard with that low transom that taking on a little water during use is to be expected. Thoughts?

Comment

I have to take exception to those that say fiberglass boats should never have water in the bilge. Especially stern drives and I/O's. That being said, the outboards should have less, and often none at all. UNLESS, as already mentioned - it can come from rain, waves overboard, anchor locker, cooler drains, people in and out frequently, perhaps with snorkel gear..... I often have some left in mine from the prior clean up, since mine needs quite an angle to drain the ski locker, more than you can get with the factory trailer setup......

Comment

Does your engine well have a access port that could possibly be leaking? Your drain plug in tight? I've had water in mine, but never once high enough for the bilge pump to grab it. We'll need more info from you....

newboat wrote:
                I have a new 2012 170 OB Bayliner and I always have water coming out of the boat when I take the plug out. I also use the bilge pump now and then to drain water. I assume since I have an outboard with that low transom that taking on a little water during use is to be expected. Thoughts?

Comment

The dealer told me to hand tighten the drain plug so it may not be as tight as should be. Should I gently use a wrench? Around where I boat, the ICW in North Carolina, I always see boats leaving the ramps with water draining from the drain hole. Lots of outboards.

Comment

I snug mine up a bit with a wrench. I also boat in the ICW in FL, and it's not unusual to take a big wake aboard when some of these giant yachts go blowing by in total disregard to wake zones. All of that will end up in the bilge. Well, all that doesn't get soaked up by the silly carpet they put in these things....

newboat wrote:
                    The dealer told me to hand tighten the drain plug so it may not be as tight as should be. Should I gently use a wrench? Around where I boat, the ICW in North Carolina, I always see boats leaving the ramps with water draining from the drain hole. Lots of outboards.

Comment

I always used a small wrench I kept in my glove box in the truck to tighten. Keep an eye on things like stopping fast- that wake will catch you, depending on the height of your transom you could take on some water. Little things like that can add up.

Comment

I would say, none.

Comment

Next time I go out I will snug the plug better. If I still bilge a lot of water I will ask the dealer to take a look. Love the boat. Small enough for me to comfortably trailer it all over. Skinny water though.

Comment

Here's the water in my 185

ok - so it had been raining

Comment

mlines wrote:
                              Here's the water in my 185

ok - so it had been raining
                              OMG, was it raining biblically? That was a lot of water! I usually keep my drain plug out when the boat sits in the yard, just in case we get some rain some day!

I think I have only had water pump out my bilge once, so far, usually not much comes out when I pull up the ramp.

Comment

Working...
                              X