Lets see where you put your cooler-gctid386000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets see where you put your cooler-gctid386000

I keep a atvlogic 12"x12"x30" soft side cooler in the ski locker which is nice to have out of the way but I'd like to have something that holds ice longer than a day or two but nothing really fits in there.

I'm thinking of getting a good cooler and chopping it down by taking a couple inches out of the middle and epoxying or gluing back together somehow.

So before I go chopping a new cooler up I thought I'd see where everyone else puts theirs.

Also if anyone has ever attempted chopping a cooler and has any pointers let me know. lol

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/689534=28181-IMG_0820.jpg[/img]

So no one else hates shuffling around their cooler? LOL There has to be someone out there that has this dilemma licked!

Comment

Well, I bought a tall cooler with a small footprint to take up less space.

And I bungee it under the driver's chair,,,,,,,,using the angled tube support legs.

It works as a foot rest, I can kwikly get to it as I drive and it stays put in three foot waves! And most importantly, it uses up what is otherwise useless space

Tonite I bought a fifty-cent rubber cork and drilled a hole in it so I don't hafta unbungee it to drain out the water

That's my very low-tech approach!

Comment

my cooler just goes in front of the admiral. We have one with a Peltier cooler element and the plug is close to that place.

Comment

Comment

we keep 2 large costco size coolers in the back deck up against the rail-wall.. one is for bait and fish we get full of ice, and the other is extra ice and larger food items for longer trips away.. I keep a smaller cooler down in the galley against the refridge with spare food items and my mocha stuff..lol

they dont get in the way, even the larger ones double as a table to help with tackle sorting

Comment

I have 2 built in coolers under the rear bench seat. Probably the best thing bayliner did.

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
                Well, I bought a tall cooler with a small footprint to take up less space.

And I bungee it under the driver's chair,,,,,,,,using the angled tube support legs.

It works as a foot rest, I can kwikly get to it as I drive and it stays put in three foot waves! And most importantly, it uses up what is otherwise useless space

Tonite I bought a fifty-cent rubber cork and drilled a hole in it so I don't hafta unbungee it to drain out the water

That's my very low-tech approach!
                Sarah, we put our igloo marine breeze 50qt cooler in the same place. no bungies but it seems to always stay in place. The collapsed extension handle fits perfectly between the angle support tubes of the captain's chair. Nice idea on the cork.

Comment

You folks with the big boats won't have this problem......

I keep a large AO Coolers soft-sided cooler in my boat., it can stuff just about anywhere, and if you kick it, it doesn't hurt....

Comment

JeffBowser wrote:
                    You folks with the big boats won't have this problem......

I keep a large AO Coolers soft-sided cooler in my boat., it can stuff just about anywhere, and if you kick it, it doesn't hurt....
                    I have seen those and thought about getting one to put in the ski-locker instead of the atv soft side one, how well/long do the AO ones keep ice?

Comment

I've had mine deliver cold drinks for as long as 3 days, if kept out of direct sun. No matter how you cut it, though, a big cooler with thick insulation (think Yeti) will always beat a soft-sider. However, I'm not willing to sacrifice the space both inside the cooler and inside the boat, for that type of performance on this small a boat.

qbayle wrote:
                      I have seen those and thought about getting one to put in the ski-locker instead of the atv soft side one, how well/long do the AO ones keep ice?

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:

I can kwikly get to it as I drive and it stays put in three foot waves! And most importantly, it uses up what is otherwise useless space

we got broad sided last week by a Norweigan Jewel cruise ships wake.. OMFG I thought we were a goner for sure the way it tossed us back and forth and flipped us over.. at one point I saw water, then sky only. That wave was easy 4 plus footers one of them hit the helm window of our 3888.(didnt think would hit us being that far away..NOT) BUT the coolers on the back deck didnt move.. we put that rubberized shelf liner under them.. this way so if they do move, they wont scratch the floor..

Comment

qbayle wrote:
                          Guaranteed for 24 hrs at 120* We had our for a few years now love em.

http://www.aocoolers.com/

Comment

We use 2 coolers. We use the Igloo "cube" in the cockpit & it is perfect for a table. We put dry ice in that one, under the dry ice we have squarish bottles of water. By keeping the dry ice on top, it keeps everything below it frozen. We also have our cube ice there & we have ice for drinks the whole time out. Last year on day 2 we were still eating frozen ice cream. We put a wool army blanket over it & that helps keeping the ice to last longer.

If your not familiar with dry ice, you might want to google it. There is some peculiarities about it.

We have another cooler inside the cabin, right by the " cave". We use the system as described here:

http://theboatgalley.com/ice-box-cooler-food-storage/

to keep things organized. Our old fridge in boat draws to much from the battery, so we just use it as an ice box. We added some extra insulation around it this past winter to see if that helps keep the ice longer.

We rotate the ice bottles every evening with the frozen ones from the cooler in the cockpit. If you put the thawed out bottles under the dry ice, it will refreeze them.

Another trick is as your cooler empties, put a plastic bag or something inside the cooler right over what is left. That helps keep from having to cool all that empty space. I picked up some of that "reflex" thin insulation material at a boat swap meet and use that. Seems weird but it really works.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out keeping thing cold for long periods of time, since we anchor out for many days at a time. We also picked up one of those 5 day coolers as the cooler inside the cabin. Unfortunately, the 6 day coolers didn't fit the area. Anxious to see if that makes a difference this year.

Wow, long post have to get back down to the shop & get to work.

Felicia
                            Pep & Felicia
                            1991 3288 150 hino's

Comment

yeti...pretty much a dissapointment....hard to use latches...heavy as hell empty....thick and bulky...space killer...and wind up keeping ice no longer than a marine igloo or Coleman.

Reason is you open and close lid so much when on boat the insulation thickness don't matter....my old Coleman with rubber hinges I cut from an old innertube held a 20 lb bag of ice just as long as a brand new yeti three latch lidtop did this weekend.....and did it with beer holders on top.

If in woods and need a great cooler for long term ...infrequent access...use then yeti is way to go....if u need one to access frequently save your back, fingers and money and go with old school model Coleman or iggie.

Comment

Working...
                              X