aargh! great day spoiled while trailering-gctid385824

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering-gctid385824

Well I know I am not the first to do this, but that doesn't make me feel much better. First splash with my new 185BR, had the family and a couple of friends aboard, had a great day on the Saint John River, saw a number of eagles and other wildlife, and enjoyed the sun, and an onboard lunch. At the end of our trip had no trouble getting the boat aboard the trailer, brought her in to within 8 inches of the pin, then had her winched up by a friend, who then proceeded to pull the trailer from the launch site.Then came the ominous scraping sound. Yes, I forgot to raise the outdrive. Knew it as soon as I heard the sound of it striking the concrete at the top of the ramp. Ruined the rest of my day.I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen. Here you are, revel in my idiocy!Looks like a Skegguard might be in my near future. I don't see any more damage, hopefully there isn't any. :sorrow:Can't wait until the end of the week when "Mollie Kay" will have a home at the dock, rather than on the trailer.JB.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/689357=28147-photo.JPG[/img]

I feel your pain. Did that my last time out last season.

Comment

File off the edges and leave it alone, won't hurt handling one tad.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

With the damage being so far down the skeg, you could have an aluminium weld repair done without removing the outdrive. You could also just clean up the edges with a file and leave it as is (which would be my choice).

Comment

My 185br has a small ding in it. And I mean small. No actual chunks of steel missing like yours. Like the poster above says ^^^^^^. Small weld or file her down.

Comment

You still had a great day on your new boat.

A million things happen to everybody on their boats, it's not even worth thinking about. If you don't want anything to happen, you have to keep it in your driveway.

You won't believe how great it's going to be when you have that boat at the dock full time. You'll find yourself going down there at odd hours for no particular reason.

Comment

I would just file it down, and see how it handles(does not look like that much is missing),if you wanted to do a FULL BLOWN repair,you could wait until the end of the season.

Comment

Don't stress over it. Just file it so that the angle looks like it should be there, and throw some black paint on it. You will forget about it soon enough but never forget to raise it and no one except for us will know about it. I wouldn't worry about us either as we will fixate on the next thread and this will self destruct in our heads in about 10 seconds.

One other thing, go boating, anchor in some nice cove and pop a beer and forget about it.
                Patrick and Patti
                4588 Pilothouse 1991
                12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                M/V "Paloma"
                MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Paint it black and tell everyone it's custom work, makes the boat go faster...:arr
                  Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ
                  |
                  Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
                  2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                  2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                  2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                  2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                  And 12 others...
                  In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
                    File off the edges and leave it alone, won't hurt handling one tad.
                    +1

Comment

jeffw wrote:
                      paint it black and tell everyone it's custom work, makes the boat go faster...:arr
                      +1

Comment

One positive to come out of your mishap.... I bet you don't do it again

Comment

Ahh, ya bonehead!

EVERYBODY does that!

Much ado about nuthin'

Just bustin' ya with the bonehead comment,,,,,all in fun.

Comment

Thanks everyone, i feel much better. I knew posting my misadventure here would help perk me up. You guys are the best! Except for Lazycrusr, she's just mean. Just kidding! I know you have had some rough moments over the last few months with your rig too. Everything looks better in the rear view mirror, just got to get over the initial shock.

On the upside, it got me thinking about protections for my boat. Off to the shop tomorrow for a keel guard, methinks.

Cheers everybody, and thanks for the pick-me-up.

JB

Comment

I'll admit, I too used to be a frequent member of the "failed to trailer the drive" club. After leaving several nice scrapes on the ramp, I finally got smart and adjusted the bunks on my trailer so that the boat sits higher. That way, even if I forget to trailer the drive, it won't drag on the ramp. Of course, once I adjusted the trailer bunks, I never forgot to raise the drive again. Go figure.

I'd personally take the boat to a welding shop and have the skeg fixed. That is a simple repair that can be done without removing the lower and you'll never even know it happened. I would avoid installing a Skeggard.
                              Mocoondo
                              2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
                              Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
                              MMSI: 338091755

Comment

Working...
                              X