Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Step Down protection-gctid709073

Hi All,

Starting to think about getting back on the water and a few issues still lingering with my 99 Capri1850. I have the bench layout across the back with a sundeck on the rear and when everyone steps down they all step to the same spot, inbetween the two captains chairs right behind the ski locker. It seems that a type of soft spot has developed, maybe 8x8 inch max. I cut and carpeted a plywood insert last year that worked fine, (across the entire width), nothing spread. Should I be concerned or just let the plywood do its job. I don't think there is any rot and its just fiberglass issue but others would know better. I'm considering cutting and puling back the carpet but that is something I only want to do if necessary.

I've knocked on the rear of the ski locker wall and it seems solid as a rock, only issue is where people step down. Boat is in Canada so only seems summer month use and covered storage.

I am not really familiar with your exact boat, but it sure sounds like there has been some water intrusion, and the coring is rotten.
    Joel
    1987 3818 Hino 175
    "Knotty Girl"
    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

There is one trick you could try to prevent additional damage, with a hole saw under the seats hidden from view cut a 3ore4 inch hole put a stop tab in on the bottom of the opening, then when the boat is on the trailer pull the plug ore better plugs let air circulate and dry the bilge. :P
      Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
      96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a better look when it comes out of storage in a few weeks. I think I may just cut some carpet back and drill holes as suggested

Comment

Peal back a small amount of carpet in the suspect area, then drill tiny 1/8" holes through the plywood sub floor. See what the drill bit brings out. This will give you an idea of the sub floors condition in that area. If the shavings are clean and dry then fill the holes with epoxy, glue down the carpet and go boating
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I received some info from an old friend. He suggested a similar idea, drill and check and if there is a soft wood area hit it with a product call PC Rot Terminator?

http://www.pcepoxy.com/our-products/...terminator.php

The idea of is to me seems like a little of a pipe dream but maybe people have had success. I can't see there being any structural rigidity to it but who knows, if it can get me through a season before I can take it in.

Comment

I have used a similar product, different brand. It is really best when used on lumber like wood window frames. The wood has to be very dry so it can soak in. I am with you as far as doubting effectiveness on laminated wood (plywood)

+1 on drilling the small holes to check the shavings.

Greg
              Newport, Oregon
              South Beach Marina
              1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
              Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
              Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Working...
              X