X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RandyR
    started a topic Overnighting in Cuddy

Overnighting in Cuddy

We have a Bayliner 192 that I'd like to try overnighting in, in Puget Sound. I've been in big boats overnight in California, but never in Puget Sound, and never a boat this size. I've looked at different south Puget Sound state parks but am unsure about what's legal, and what's appropriate. For example, if I use a buoy at a state part, is staying aboard OK? Can I anchor in coves overnight? Does anyone have experience installing a grill in a boat like this? Or is it better to plan on going ashore to picnic?

If you can point me to any resources I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 03-30-2018, 09:02 AM.

• RandyR
    replied
    Originally posted by rhythmpoetdonut View Post
    Hey cool! I have a 642, basically a later model of your 192. My wife and I, and occasionally a hundred pound chocolate lab, overnighted about six times last year, which is our first year with our new boat. Love it! We have the full camper canvas, sink (13g tank), and a 2.6g Thetford porta potty. We normally stow the potty below during trips, then at night bring it up to the cockpit and make a bed below. Although 2.6g is not really enough for two for a weekend unless it’s midnight relief or emergencies only. Sometimes I empty it into a honey bucket or toilet if I can find one at some point during the excursion. I should mention we drink beer. We hung towels around for privacy. Warm lakes help. This year I plan to acquire a parachute to throw over the Bimini at the dock so we don’t have to suffer installing full camper canvas each night and getting cooked out of bed in the AM. Plus it’s easy midday privacy. We purchased a single burner butane stove for cooking. It’s small! We cooked on the dock. I may try to stow a piece of wood for cooking on and use the swim platform. Scary though. The best setup I’ve heard of with boats like ours is a bracket on the swim platform for a grill, the idea as you know is to keep stray flammable gasses from building up onboard. We stow everything we’d need for a night aboard always, because why not!? I have dual batteries and switch to one of the two for the overnight battery. I have just a proper number/type of tools, fuses, zip ties, duct tape, and bailing wire. I now own a 3/4 guitar which will also be stowed permanently aboard. We installed a keel guard for beaching. We find overnighting is a blast. This year our friends have a similar boat and we’ll be caravanning around. I boat inland lakes in the Spokane area. No tidal worries. Haven’t yet overnighted on the hook. Big chicken, plus I like a good bar nearby. I dig the inflatable dinghy idea. I was a big Westfalia camper guy, so I’m all about organizing just the right amount of stuff to bring aboard. It might be my favorite part, aside from slow runs on calm waters into the sun, after a wonderful meal. You might need a Discover pass for buoys. Best of luck! Report back Jon (rpd)
    May be an old post but it's a topic that's getting attention - thanks for your comments.

Leave a comment:

• RandyR
    replied
    Originally posted by nwboater62 View Post
    Pick up a Waggoner's cruising guide. All the information you need is in that book. State parks, marinas, food and fuel. Your boat will take you to any of the places you would like to go.
    Got the book - hope to put it to use between June and September!

Leave a comment:

• rhythmpoetdonut
    replied
    Oops just realized this is an older post! Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• rhythmpoetdonut
    replied
    Hey cool! I have a 642, basically a later model of your 192. My wife and I, and occasionally a hundred pound chocolate lab, overnighted about six times last year, which is our first year with our new boat. Love it! We have the full camper canvas, sink (13g tank), and a 2.6g Thetford porta potty. We normally stow the potty below during trips, then at night bring it up to the cockpit and make a bed below. Although 2.6g is not really enough for two for a weekend unless it’s midnight relief or emergencies only. Sometimes I empty it into a honey bucket or toilet if I can find one at some point during the excursion. I should mention we drink beer. We hung towels around for privacy. Warm lakes help. This year I plan to acquire a parachute to throw over the Bimini at the dock so we don’t have to suffer installing full camper canvas each night and getting cooked out of bed in the AM. Plus it’s easy midday privacy. We purchased a single burner butane stove for cooking. It’s small! We cooked on the dock. I may try to stow a piece of wood for cooking on and use the swim platform. Scary though. The best setup I’ve heard of with boats like ours is a bracket on the swim platform for a grill, the idea as you know is to keep stray flammable gasses from building up onboard. We stow everything we’d need for a night aboard always, because why not!? I have dual batteries and switch to one of the two for the overnight battery. I have just a proper number/type of tools, fuses, zip ties, duct tape, and bailing wire. I now own a 3/4 guitar which will also be stowed permanently aboard. We installed a keel guard for beaching. We find overnighting is a blast. This year our friends have a similar boat and we’ll be caravanning around. I boat inland lakes in the Spokane area. No tidal worries. Haven’t yet overnighted on the hook. Big chicken, plus I like a good bar nearby. I dig the inflatable dinghy idea. I was a big Westfalia camper guy, so I’m all about organizing just the right amount of stuff to bring aboard. It might be my favorite part, aside from slow runs on calm waters into the sun, after a wonderful meal. You might need a Discover pass for buoys. Best of luck! Report back Jon (rpd)

Leave a comment:

• Centerline2
    replied
    Originally posted by green650 View Post
    Up here in Washington, you have to pay for the buoys too. The state parks have them and install and maintains them, so they are not free. Also they limit what size boats and how many can tie up to each buoy. I do believe anchoring is free up in Washington, but if you set foot ashore to use bathrooms etc., that might be a different story.
    yes, the buoys do cost, as well as the dock space, but they dont charge you to anchor, to go ashore or for using the bathrooms.... if you have a way to get ashore without using the dock...

Leave a comment:

• green650
    replied
    Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post

just hook up to the buoy and swing with the tide... if you tie to the dock (first come, first serve) which is acceptable in some places, you also have to pay.... BUT, you can anchor almost anywhere OUTSIDE of the normal navigation channel for FREE... so in a cove or backwater area would be fine UNLESS there are signs, or marked on the chart that says "NO ANCHORING"...

we have always used one anchor, AND a sternline to shore if at all possible,.... we have anchored in small "one boat" coves in the islands, and rather than an actual anchor, we took lines to shore from 4 different angles to stay in one place.
    the small coves are fun, but if you dont secure the boat well, you WILL swing into the rocks

small boat camping is a great way to cruise on a budget.
    Up here in Washington, you have to pay for the buoys too. The state parks have them and install and maintains them, so they are not free. Also they limit what size boats and how many can tie up to each buoy. I do believe anchoring is free up in Washington, but if you set foot ashore to use bathrooms etc., that might be a different story.

Leave a comment:

• Centerline2
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyR View Post
    Thanks for your reply. When you use a buoy at state parks, is there anything you do to minimize drift? Or just hook up to the buoy?

Are there limits on where you can anchor overnight? I haven't found anything on the state website (but could be looking in the wrong places too). When you anchor, do you use a single or two off the bow? Or something else?
    just hook up to the buoy and swing with the tide... if you tie to the dock (first come, first serve) which is acceptable in some places, you also have to pay.... BUT, you can anchor almost anywhere OUTSIDE of the normal navigation channel for FREE... so in a cove or backwater area would be fine UNLESS there are signs, or marked on the chart that says "NO ANCHORING"...

we have always used one anchor, AND a sternline to shore if at all possible,.... we have anchored in small "one boat" coves in the islands, and rather than an actual anchor, we took lines to shore from 4 different angles to stay in one place.
    the small coves are fun, but if you dont secure the boat well, you WILL swing into the rocks

small boat camping is a great way to cruise on a budget.

Leave a comment:

• zoranB
    replied
    Guys,
    Thank you !
    It seems that cruising is related to age, flexiblity and how deep you are in love .
    Hm, with 50+ years and XXXX kilos, maybe my children will be first to discover that kind of romantics !

Happy Eastern to all of you .

Leave a comment:

• mmichellich
    replied
    Do not even think about using 2 anchors. By morning the 2 lines will badly braided together. If that happens you have a big mess.

Leave a comment:

• Ruffryder
    replied
    I remember Kathy and me staying in a 20' cuddy for a couple nights... if I pushed it anymore, I might not be married anymore

Leave a comment:

• mmichellich
    replied
    We have a Bayliner 192 that I'd like to try overnighting in, in Puget Sound. I've been in big boats overnight in California, but never in Puget Sound, and never a boat this size. I've looked at different south Puget Sound state parks but am unsure about what's legal, and what's appropriate. For example, if I use a buoy at a state part, is staying aboard OK? Can I anchor in coves overnight? Does anyone have experience installing a grill in a boat like this? Or is it better to plan on going ashore to picnic?

If you can point me to any resources I'd appreciate it.
    My son and his wife did some cruising in Puget Sound and the San Juans in smaller boats. He started with a cuddy cabin 15 foot Arima. Later they moved on to a 19 foot Sea Swirl cuddy cabin. Both boats had porta potties. To cook they used hiking cook stoves. Both boats were equipped with anchors and great electronics. Both boats had covers (one canvas, other fiberglass) so you did not have to stay in cuddy cabin in inclimate weather, you could sit in dry comfort to drive or just enjoy the scenery. Both boats used a small inflatable to get to shore when anchored or tied to buoys. Both boats were good in rough water, I towed both behind my 47 including to Alaska. Both boats had kicker/get home engines.
    ​​

Leave a comment:

• nwboater62
    replied
    Pick up a Waggoner's cruising guide. All the information you need is in that book. State parks, marinas, food and fuel. Your boat will take you to any of the places you would like to go.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    We had a 1983 19’ Capri for four months and put 200 hours on it. We moved to a 2450 for a few years until the twins came along to join two older brothers, bigger boat. We went all over in that Capri from Roche Harbor to Olympia, and spent lots of nights on board. A single, good anchor will be fine, have about 20’ of chain connected before the rode. The state park buoys are pretty easy, paying the Ranger is problematic because they usually have a payment box on the beach. You can, however, get an annual permit. You just need to figure out if you are going to use it enough to make it balance.

Leave a comment:

• kwb
    replied
    What kind of setup do you use when you anchor? Do you use two anchors from the bow?
    One anchor from the bow is all you should need in any conditions that a reasonable person would consider overnighting in a cuddy.

Basically you can drop the hook wherever with very few exceptions, Lake WA/Union is a big one - Andrews bay is the only overnight anchorage.

I spent the night in my 21 trophy several times. I won't lie - I was younger, and sleep was heavily aided by cocktails and beer since it isn't all that comfortable. It is far better than tent camping so if you are coming from that perspective it is an upgrade. The cuddy holds heat fairly well but also holds moisture and you will exhale a lot of it overnight.

BBQ is the way to go - camp stove requires more pots/pans. Even on our 38 I probably use the BBQ 2x for every time I use the cooktop (and we rarely eat out when on the boat). BBQ bacon or sausage in the AM ....mmmmmm.......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X