Power turn issues-gctid383598

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power turn issues-gctid383598

Hi, Just wanted to know if a 3/4 throttle power turn actually damages the outdrive.

If this is done on rel. flat water with trim down.

I.e. doing donuts

185br flight series with 4.3 litre

Nutsofamily wrote:
    Hi, Just wanted to know if a 3/4 throttle power turn actually damages the outdrive.

If this is done on rel. flat water with trim down.

I.e. doing donuts

185br flight series with 4.3 litre
    Hmmm... turning relatively tight with 3/4 throttle won't do any damage to your outdrive, but when you say 'doing donuts', that implies that you're expecting the stern to slide around the corner like in a jet boat or pwc. That's not gonna happen and if you're trying to do that you are likely in for some trouble.

I've never pushed mine hard enough to find the limits of handling, that's what our Waverunner is for :-)

Comment

I should have said tight circle turns instead of donuts but donuts was quicker to write.

Of course it won't slide around.

Comment

Nutsofamily wrote:
        I should have said tight circle turns instead of donuts but donuts was quicker to write.

Of course it won't slide around.
        Phew! If that's the case then I don't think you can really do anything to damage the outdrive, the boat will fall off plane and slow down before you can push it that far.

Be careful though, if you turn too sharp, the bow will dip, catch, and dig in, and it wouldn't be hard to throw someone across the cockpit or right out of the boat altogether.

Comment

This thread reminds me of the sea trial in my 180. We had just come in from a weekend in our jetboat, and I hadn't operated an outboard in years. Man, what a difference After getting used to going from a sports car to a family sedan, and getting the break-in period out of the way, I found the Bayliner (well, mine anyway) will bleed off speed faster than you can get in trouble when trying to dig into a higher speed turn.

Comment

Use your lanyard when attempting stupid human tricks, lol

Video would be sweet. :worth

Comment

No damage outside of ticking off the Admiral ops

Comment

I should add that before too many people assume my abilities or make wrong conclusions. This is not a hard over turn. It is a gradually increasing turn in tightness while preventing cavitation. All I wanted to know was the stress on the out drive and steering would be too great.

Comment

We whip 180's at the end of the ski course going 30mph all afternoon and the boat doesn't care a bit.

Comment

I didn't even know this was a thing....

When I'm towing a skiier, my #1 priority is getting the boat alongside them when they go down ASAP. This means that the instant I hear "down" or see them go down myself, steering goes hard over (and with power steering that happens quick), and throttle goes to the firewall.

Haven't had a problem yet, hope I'm not doing anything wrong...

(I always warn passengers this will be the procedure. I'm very specific and emphatic on how quick the boat will turn. They always tumble the first time I turn )

Comment

psssh, come with my on my 3055. I will throw her into a hard turn and make you crap ur pants. The admiral gets a bit pissed when all the dvd's and lamp go flying but hey its fun U can damn near reach out the window and touch the water when shes in a full turn, they cut hard

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                        psssh, come with my on my 3055. I will throw her into a hard turn and make you crap ur pants. The admiral gets a bit pissed when all the dvd's and lamp go flying but hey its fun U can damn near reach out the window and touch the water when shes in a full turn, they cut hard
                        That's the truth. I was shocked when the side pockets started pouring out tears during a hard turn. Turns out I was taking on water through the rivets holding the rubstrip on...guess those suckers aren't caulked. ops.

Comment

Working...
                        X