No announcement yet.

Calling all 185 owners that have smart tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly, welcome aboard. This forum is the right medium to ask questions and get "real" answers.

Unfortunately I think that you are at a crossroads.

The hydrofoil does provide lift, but also increases stress(es) to the lower unit no doubt.

The Smart Tabs probably actually reduce whatever stress that there is on the lower unit as they "lift" the entire stern of the boat.

We don't wakeboard, we tube and maybe some skiing. So the wake is not as relevant to us. I will say that the tabs certainly "modify" the wake and flatten it out. I would think that if you disconnected the tabs for wakeboarding you would have the "original" wake from the boat. However, you will have to pull the tabs themselves out of the water to ensure that. If any part hits the water, even intermittently, I would think that the shape of the wake would suffer.

That being said, the tabs will help get that bow down on acceleration but without them, you will be basically experiencing what you are currently with bowrise at last whole wakeboarding.

I can tell you, that with the Smart Tabs, my 185 is a totally different boat. Granted I have the 3.0, I can't even inpmagi even how it would enhance the performance of the 4.3.

I know that "Whiskey31" on this forum has recently added the tabs to his 2015 185, 4.3 and he will probably chime in as far as his results. He doesn't have the "tower" for wakeboarding, but can certainly give you his experience. I think he even posted atleast pics or maybe even a video of his wake with the tabs that you could look at and see if it would work for you. If you decide to get the tabs, he would be a great resource as to which number pressure actuator to get for that boat. It is not as "cut and dry" as you would think it should be in choosing the right tab package.

I had to relocate my transom tie downs to accommodate the tabs. Simple fix to replace the bolt on the trailer for the bunk with an "eyebolt". I don't trailer regularly, once in the water, she stays all season. But I have not had any issues when I do transport the boat.

The last thing I wanted to do to my boat after getting last August, was drill into her transom.......16 times! I researched the hell out of the Smart Tabs and in all the info that I found, I didn't see one comment or experience that was negative not just on the 185, but basically every boat 21' and under. From personal experience, no more, I think the "perfect set-up" for the 185 would be your 4.3, 4-blade prop and the Smart tabs!

I look forward to hearing what you decide to try..

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
    1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

"LacossDesigns" post=753732 wrote:

Through my resarch it appears the smart tabs are the best option... BUT I also want to maintain a nice crisp lip on the wake without washing it out. Will adding trim tabs to my boat help with bow rise and porpoising while also maintaining a clean wake for wakeboarding?

Joel
      I did install the PR500 bracket to be able to have a nicer original wave for wakeboarding.

This bracket is meant to be use to lower the tab lower for fisherman who want to troll at low speed. But you can install them so that at the down position is normal setting and up position raised them flush to the hull to be ineffective.

Up position for wakeboarding or beaching

[attachment]29019 wrote:
      tmp_6304-20160702_173829-2107530828.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]29020 wrote:
      tmp_6304-20160702_173823803300583.jpg[/attachment]

Normal down position

[attachment]29021 wrote:
      tmp_6304-20160702_173815-243480214.jpg[/attachment]

Comment

"windman" post=753847 wrote:
        "LacossDesigns" post=753732 wrote:

Through my resarch it appears the smart tabs are the best option... BUT I also want to maintain a nice crisp lip on the wake without washing it out. Will adding trim tabs to my boat help with bow rise and porpoising while also maintaining a clean wake for wakeboarding?

Joel
        I did install the PR500 bracket to be able to have a nicer original wave for wakeboarding.

This bracket is meant to be use to lower the tab lower for fisherman who want to troll at low speed. But you can install them so that at the down position is normal setting and up position raised them flush to the hull to be ineffective.

[attachment]29019 wrote:
        tmp_6304-20160702_173829-2107530828.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]29020 wrote:
        tmp_6304-20160702_173823803300583.jpg[/attachment]

Normal down position

[attachment]29021 wrote:
        tmp_6304-20160702_173815-243480214.jpg[/attachment]
        Do you think the wake is as good in the up position as it was with no tabs on at all? Nice crisp wake?
        2006 185BR with a 3.0L, Sport Seating
        96 Seadoo GSX
        96 Seadoo GTX (2 of the them!) Find me at Seadooforum.com

Comment

Lacossdesigns....Look further back in this thread I posted a picture of my boats wake with and without the smart tabs....I have a 2015 185 with 220HP engine as well...both pictures are the same water, same people, same speed....

I highly recommend them. I started on setting #3 and have since moved up to #5, each step was better

In the picture the lower one with the flag on display is with the tabs....as to how they are for boarding I have no idea....all we do is pull tubes and as we're new to this it doesn't matter the kids (all early 20's) seem to not care...and if they want a better wake they can buy me a bigger boat

Comment

#5? Really?

The boat doesn't "plow" with the bow being forced downwards?

I am almost afraid of trying #4
            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

Hi there
              im about to install my tabs on 185 Bayliner. What setting do it install them. I’m thinking the middle but not sure. I have the v6 190hp

Comment

It’s recommended to start in the middle setting and adjust from there. For me, middle was really good, but the next setting stronger is just a little better ... again for me, my boat, how I use it and typical load #4 is my preference. The first time you throttle up, will bring a huge smile to your face please share your first impressions
                2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

Working...
                X