Taking boat out to clean and anti-foul question?-gctid382313

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking boat out to clean and anti-foul question?-gctid382313

I am having my Bayliner 175 craned out to be cleaned and anti fouled by the marina where she is berthed in Spain.

I will not be there when this happens but have a friend checking on things for me.

I assume that the sea water in the cooling system will drain out as she is lifted from the water?

When she is back in the water should the engine be started to circulate the water inside again? or can it wait until I am over there four weeks later?

Advice greatly appreciated by novice boater.

Simon

If you are in salt water you must flush boat with fresh water and saltaway to prevent any corrosion. also would be a good time to change impellar if you havent lately.

Comment

The boat will only be out of the water for two days, then going back in, can I get away without flushing?

My question was really about when she goes back in, does the engine need to be started to circulate water or can it nwait a few weks?

Simon

Comment

The water will drain out of the engine when you have it mored at the marine so I don't see any difference after you had her out of the water. What the previous poster told you is that the engine should be flushed with fresh water before any longer storage (even in the water) as the engine components will rust from the salt. The engine has to be out of the water for storage to prevent salt water from entering (trailer position may work).

If you haven't changed the impeller in the last two years it is also time for a new one. The last thing you want is an impeller (water pump) disintegrate. They are made from rubber and officially are good for 3 years. Really nice to fish all the particles out of the engine..... My experience is that they always fail far away from the dock with no-one around if they are not exchanged on a regular schedule. Have towed quite a number of boats home for it......

Comment

Thanks for the advice re the impeller.

After the anti foul paint has been done she is going straight back into salt water, will the water go back into the cooling compartments naturally to the water line level?

As I won't be able to start the engine for about 4 weeks after she is back in the water.

Simon

Comment

the water will stay in the block even after being craned in and out.salt water is not good for the engine and premature failure of manifolds is higher than one stored with fresh or no water in the block.an impellor is a must if it hasn't been changed recenntly together with all the bellows as being in a marina and left for many months at a time with no one caring for it is a recipe for a disaster.i personally would not pay for a lift out for someone to be paid good money for a more than likely shoddy antifoul job and put back in before you can address maintenance.get yourself a trailer or borrow one or if money is no object have an impellor and bellows fitted properly.

you will have no need to start the engine but maybe your friend can remove the battery and recharge it before you arrive and give it a run up to make sure all is well.maintenance can be done when you leave if your only on holiday for a couple of weeks so you can play first.

Comment

Thanks Dingdongs, if the water remains in the block that's fine I won't need to start her up.

Even though the boat is in Spain we get over every few months to use her, I have a solar powered battery charger that seems to work fine, no issues so far with her not starting, I also keep the tank filled to avoid condensation.

The guys at the marina do a great job of the anti-fouling, they always have boats out being done so I'm pretty sure the 175 will be fine too.

I think the impellor sounds like a must replace part, can the bellows be done at the same time as the impellor.

Any idea of the approx cost of impellor and bellows, obviously your prices are dollars and probably much cheaper than Europe but just an idea would be useful.

Cheers

Simon

Comment

if you want to do it yourself ,here you go.type in mercruiser on ebay.co.uk when yhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-J-Bellows-Kit-Mercruiser-Alpha-Gen-II-/260673235927?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_Boat_Engines _EngineParts_SM&hash=item3cb155ebd7our at home;

Comment

Working...
                X