Battery Drain-gctid690062

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Drain-gctid690062

I have a 2010 185 3.0l that was not put into the water until summer of 2011. I replaced the original battery halfway thru the 2014 season. At the time I thought the battery was discharging too quickly but decided since was built in 2010 the battery could have reached its end of life.

Recently I was trying to winterize the boat and found the battery was not capable of starting the engine. This was after the boat sat for about 5 weeks. With the battery less than 18 months old I thought it would hold acharge longer. Is this normal? especially when the weather is still relatively warm. The only power drain I know of is the radio has power to it at all times. This is one power light on it that remains lit. Very faint. The radio Is not on and the face is not being powered.

As a side note I always take the battery out during the winter months.

Would to know others experience with batteries.

Your radio memory power can not drain your battery in just 5 weeks. Just imagine how many car stereos have the same and can be parked for up to 3-5 months and start up again with no problems.

Something else is draining your battery. You will have to do a trial by elimination test, which can be done using a handheld multi meter easily.

This video on youtube for cars can easily be applied to your boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUoXApI89Q

Comment

I experienced the same exact issue. Bought my 2012 this August, no issues, boat has sat for several weeks. As I went to take it out of the water last weekend, battery was dead.....had to jump it with no problem whatsoever. I had Ana appointment already set at the dealer and I noticed that ALL accessories will work without the key even being in the ignition.....I asked the dealer about that and he said that is often normal for these smaller ruabouts/bow riders. Am planning on new battery over the winter for next spring. I am sure that the current is the the original one from 2012...
      Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
      1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Battery cutoff switch, run everything thru that, when you come off the boat the last thing you do is turn it to off, when you come on the boat turn it on.

Will become a habit with you and it will save your batteries.

One thing i would leave hardwired to the battery straight is a the bilge pump.

I would not place the switch in the engine bay.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Is that the "red" switch that is near the battery compartment? Or is it an upgrade add on?
          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

My 175 has the same switch (factory installed) in the battery area. I turn it off when ever I'm not using the boat. Much to my surprise It does not kill everything.

Comment

I was told by my dealer that that "red switch" only prevents the boat from starting and does not totally cut off the battery just from starting so that no one call steal my boat...is this true? I haven't tried it at all...
              2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

"RobMick" post=690923 wrote:
                I was told by my dealer that that "red switch" only prevents the boat from starting and does not totally cut off the battery just from starting so that no one call steal my boat...is this true? I haven't tried it at all...
                If we are supposed to turn the red key "off" and remove it so that no one can steal the boat, what's the key on the helm for? If it's only to start the motor, why not a "push" button?

My boat is in storage for the winter. Could someone remove the red key from their boat and see if their radio will still work.
                Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

I am picking up my 2012 185 from my Marne mechanic on Monday to then place her in storage. As I detail it before I put her away, I will make it a point to try and remove the red key and see if the radio still works. On mine, all the switches work without the key even in the ignition. Radio, blower, bilge pump on manual, nav lights and accessories...again my dealer said that is pretty normal in this boat for everything to work without the key....
                  2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

"RobMick" post=691062 wrote:
                    I am picking up my 2012 185 from my Marne mechanic on Monday to then place her in storage. As I detail it before I put her away, I will make it a point to try and remove the red key and see if the radio still works. On mine, all the switches work without the key even in the ignition. Radio, blower, bilge pump on manual, nav lights and accessories...again my dealer said that is pretty normal in this boat for everything to work without the key....
                    When your dealer said "it's normal in this boat for everything to work without the key", did he mean the ignition key or the red key?

I can understand that thing would work without the ignition key. However, not sure things should work without the red key. I was told that it was a battery cut off key. Other than the bilge pump, everything else should shut down. I'm curious as to what you will discover. To me it should be like when you pull on the main lever of the fuse box, you will be in the dark.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                    2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                    12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

I agree and will be sure to post my findings..

Have a great weekend, get an extra hour of shuteye,

I will be getting ready for Halloween in Hell. It our city's blowout holiday as you can imagine...
                      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

My battery kill switch turns off everything.

No tilt, no sounder and no stereo.
                        Bayliner Element XL 2015
                        Australia

Comment

"Jasperdog" post=691087 wrote:
                          My battery kill switch turns off everything.

No tilt, no sounder and no stereo.
                          Everything except bilge pump?

Comment

Everything including the bilge pump.
                            Bayliner Element XL 2015
                            Australia

Comment

Well, there you go. I'll have to check out my setup so I know what's going on. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X