Second battery or no???-gctid379687

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second battery or no???-gctid379687

I have a 3.0L 185. I use it mostely on lakes and trailer to and from. Sometimes I will leave it at a docket over night for a long weekend.

I have the standard factory radio which I rarley use and the only electrical mods I have made are a a hour meter and a GPS. But I also have 2 kids that can't help but push buttons if they see them.

So I am concerned about one of them turning something on and draining the battery.

I can't decide if I should install a second battery or just get one of those sensors that measure the battery and cuts it off if its getting ready to go dead.

They both cost roughly the same (I already have a battery I can use if I need to so am not counting that cost).

I also usually carry a jumb box with me so maybe I don't need either and can spend the money on smart tabs.

What do you guys suggest???

Bring the jump box. Spend the money on the kids.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
      Bring the jump box. Spend the money on the kids.
      Kids or Tabs?

Hmmmm.

Comment

second battery or no???
        [size]4 wrote:
        Always yes to a second battery and no to a jump box (IMOP)[/size]
        " WET EVER "
        1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
        mmsi 338108404
        mmsi 338124956
        "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Dean - tell me wya you don't like the jump box idea?

Comment

On my last boat I had much the same electrical load you did, but two engines, and one smallish battery. I'd go out for an entire weekend, and not once run out of battery. I'm leaving my new Bayliner the same way for now. I did once drain the battery dead by leaving my bilge pump on, that'd be the biggest concern, depending on your bilge pump designwiring and how much/little water you typically take on.

On that subject, I'm once again going to raise my complaint over the cheap low end bilge Bayliner has put on the '12 180 OB.

Comment

Totally agree about the bildge pump situation. It should come with a automatic float switch. I had to put one on myself.

I also have never drained the battery before but after seeing so many posts about doing a second battery install I wonder if I should have it as cheap insurance. But then again thats why I bought the jump box in the first place.

Comment

I have no doubt that adding a second battery is good insurance. On the other hand, for the times it would be needed, would it be worth the weight, expense, charging system modifications, and space taken up? That's what I'm looking at. Protected space in my boat is such a premium, I'm not too willing to sacrifice any to a battery. Probably a differ space situation on an inboard....

I'm going to toss that crappy "500GPH" Attwood Typhoon and get their 1100GPH with the built in float switch. That means I'm going to have to drill and run a bigger through hull. Not looking forward to that.

Bay-185 wrote:
                Totally agree about the bildge pump situation. It should come with a automatic float switch. I had to put one on myself.

I also have never drained the battery before but after seeing so many posts about doing a second battery install I wonder if I should have it as cheap insurance. But then again thats why I bought the jump box in the first place.

Comment

I only have the jump start box and a set of jump start cables. If I would go into the ocean I'd have a second battery and the jump start box but first of all a MUCH larger boat..... On lakes the worst case is that you need some friendly boater to tow you to the next ramp or give you a jump start.

Comment

Has anyone ever tried one of this solar panel trickle chargers. Seems like it would work for what you need.

Comment

I am on the second one which is great. The first one, $4 cheaper from HF, was crap.

This is the good one: http://www.naturepowerproducts.com/p...ails.php?id=62 . Was around $22 via internet (google search: http://www.smarthome.com/33281/Natur...ntainer/p.aspx). Fully waterproof and with an aluminum frame. The HF wasn't waterproof and the plastic frame deteriorated in no time in the AZ sun.

Comment

I've never regretted the installation of a second battery.
                        Mocoondo
                        2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
                        Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
                        MMSI: 338091755

Comment

There's nothing fundamentally different about the ocean, assuming we're talking near shore. I've run in the Atlantic around Palm Beach, Broward, and the Keys, and in the Gulf around Sanibel/Captiva in as small as a 17' boat. One simply needs to remain aware of conditions and stay within radio or cell signal. Off shore fishermen, that's another story. I'd run with 3 batteries and two engines minimum, no less than 23' self bailing or enclosed bow.

kjs wrote:
                          I only have the jump start box and a set of jump start cables. If I would go into the ocean I'd have a second battery and the jump start box but first of all a MUCH larger boat..... On lakes the worst case is that you need some friendly boater to tow you to the next ramp or give you a jump start.

Comment

I think the solar powered is great for when the boat is not underway.

I doubt it would be much good to me when anchored for short periods.

I think I am going to stay with the jump box and see how that works.

Comment

JGS107 wrote:
                              Has anyone ever tried one of this solar panel trickle chargers. Seems like it would work for what you need.
                              I tried a small solar panel from Pep Boys for when the boat would be on the trailer between uses- maybe a couple weeks at a time. It did not work. The only drain I think was the CO detector. I don't remember the capacity, but the size of the array was about 4"x12". Maybe it was just too small, but if it could not counter that draw, I can't imagine what it would be good for.

Comment

Working...
                              X