Bimini or Full Enclosure??-gctid379661

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bimini or Full Enclosure??-gctid379661

Hey gang, our 185 has not even hit the water for the first time, and already I am thinking about equipment modifications.

Our boat has with a 5-piece full enclosure. Should I also spring for a normal bimini as an alternative? How do people find the full enclosure in the summer months? The headroom is obviously much lower than with a bimini. However we can easily get out of nasty weather with a full enclosure. Any other pros/cons to either option??

Thanks y'all,

JB.

Wow I've never seen the full enclosure! I would like to see that-could make it possible to try and sleep on it! I have a bimini and we have to have it during the summer to give us some shade. I cannot imagine having a full enclosure in the summer though as our highs are 95+ everyday.

Comment

While this is not our boat, this is basically what the enclosure looks like. We are in cooler climes, so it will come in handy early and late in the season. Just wondering how useful it will be in the warmer times.

pat8839 wrote:
      Wow I've never seen the full enclosure! I would like to see that-could make it possible to try and sleep on it! I have a bimini and we have to have it during the summer to give us some shade. I cannot imagine having a full enclosure in the summer though as our highs are 95+ everyday.
      Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

Johnny Bravo wrote:
        While this is not our boat, this is basically what the enclosure looks like. We are in cooler climes, so it will come in handy early and late in the season. Just wondering how useful it will be in the warmer times.
        I have the full enclosure like that, and hate it. It's too short and gets in the way. In practice I rarely use it.

My project is a tall bimini top, and a snap-on/zipper-on enclosure that fits with the bimini to give it walls.
        Rafael Figueira
        1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

Comment

my nutshell came with both and I only tried the fully enclosed once in the garage. With the intelligent seating for 8ft+ people you won't see what's in front of the boat but you have a nice view into the mountains. With the enclosed cover you can't sit on something as you will hit the "ceiling" and won't see through the windshield well. In short, the enclosed cover is now a dust collector in the garage. Maybe I can make something useful from the material......

Comment

I just had all new canvas made. I have the bow/cockpit. The slant back camper top setup. And then we had a 6'3" high 6'6" long Bimini made that is mounted more to the sides of the boat so that it can always stay on and the bow/cockpit or camper setup can be used without the Bimini getting in the way. I also had sides made for the Bimini for some extra sun protection as needed.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/683273=27494-IMG_0561.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/683273=27493-IMG_0683.jpg[/img]

Comment

I have both.

I can use one or the other depending on need.

Comment

Thanks for all your input everyone, this pretty much confirms my suspicions. While the full enclosure will be nice when it is cold, I expect we will want a bimini option for the warm days. Now, where did I plant that money tree........?

Cheers y'all,

JB

Comment

Yes, your assumption is right on, expecially living in cooler climates. The full enclosure was defined as a camping package. If you plan on doing an overnighter, they work well. I also have both, adding the binimi just a couple of years ago. My wife and I like to do an overnighter at least once each season but use the binimi on every hot sunny day.

Comment

I have the factory enclosere that is in the picture to low to use when boating but it closes the boat up nice.. what are the brackets that you are using on the outside of the boat i would like to have the dual option also.. and what is the best fabric for sun and light rain... thanks Craig

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/684588=27611-downsized_0329121605.jpg[/img]

Comment

We used weathermax 80 this time around, it has same warrenty as sunbrella but doesn't need treated every year and costs a little less. Rumor is it may fade a little more than sunbrella but lower cost and less maintenace is a fair trade for some fading IMO.

Comment

go on ebay. find a generic 3 bow set up. there are tons for less than 100. they won't last forever, but i'd bet you'll get at least 5 summers out of it.

Comment

For the type of weather you will probably operate a small bowrider in, a bimini is a nice addition to the equipment list. Mine is similar to the one shown in tbkohl's photo, although his sits significantly higher than mine. I wish mine had a bit more headroom, but it does the trick for the few times I actually bother setting it up.

I don't run with the bimini up, but will use it on occasion when I am sitting out on the hook. It makes for a nice respite from the sun. That said, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I use it during an average season.

A full enclosure would be nice if you get caught in some bad weather, but I would probably not intentionally go boating on a day where I felt a full enclosure would be necessary. You rapidly reach a point of diminished returns when you are out in a small bowrider in pouring rain or when it is unusually cold out.
                          Mocoondo
                          2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
                          Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
                          MMSI: 338091755

Comment

It is my personal opinion that selecting the proper outside mounting hardware is the key to a successful installation. Bayliners don't have flat horizontal or vertical lines, they are angular, which eliminates the standard mounting brackets for the front mounting hardware. I chose mounting hardware for the front that can mount at an angle against the boat but will allow the upper piece of the mount to rotate up to a vertical positon, somewhat like an actual hinge. It is not a ball and socket, that would allow the front poles to move fore and aft. Overton's has a nice website on determining what size of bimini you should get for the size of your boat and the height of those using the boat. As far as material, even the cheaper heavy nylon works fine, you can add water repellency by spraying it on after installation.

Comment

weatherman6 wrote:
                              It is my personal opinion that selecting the proper outside mounting hardware is the key to a successful installation. Bayliners don't have flat horizontal or vertical lines, they are angular, which eliminates the standard mounting brackets for the front mounting hardware. I chose mounting hardware for the front that can mount at an angle against the boat but will allow the upper piece of the mount to rotate up to a vertical positon, somewhat like an actual hinge. It is not a ball and socket, that would allow the front poles to move fore and aft. Overton's has a nice website on determining what size of bimini you should get for the size of your boat and the height of those using the boat. As far as material, even the cheaper heavy nylon works fine, you can add water repellency by spraying it on after installation.
                              I seen angle brackets on Overtons website that must be what I need to mount to the sides.. thanks..

Comment

Working...
                              X