Looking for walk through windshield fastening solution-gctid379222

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for walk through windshield fastening solution-gctid379222

Is there anything out there purpose made to hold the walkthrough windshield open while underway, so that it won't want to bounce or slam if things get rough..... ?

If you find something let me know.

I use a bungee to a cleat.

Comment

Most boats I have seen have a small plastic piece screwed into the frame that can be turned to secure it closed and I think either a button snap on a piece of nylon strap to keep it open, check some other boats on how they are fastened.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

As long as it opens where the frames can meet, you can use one of those friction ball and socket catches.

Comment

Ah, I had not thought at that end, my mind was fixating on the far end where it's a couple inches away from meeting. Now to see how much of that frame is clear of glass, so I can drill screw holes....

Nice boat overall, but one can see where Bayliner took shortcuts to keep the costs down. Crappy bilge (non-automatic 500gph, with corrugated hose), no storage bins or nets, no latches, poor port "cooler" lid design, no hinge for ski locker door, ski locker could be bigger, slow to drain....

That being said, we are pretty happy with it, and I can address most, if not all, of the issues myself.

tbear wrote:
          As long as it opens where the frames can meet, you can use one of those friction ball and socket catches.

Comment

The walkthru windshield is meant to be closed and secured while underway. It is hard on the hinge for it to be open and it also allows the two outside panes to flex excessively. My boat even has a factory placard which states that the window shall be closed while underway.
            Mocoondo
            2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
            Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
            MMSI: 338091755

Comment

tbear wrote:
              JeffBowser wrote:
              Ah, I had not thought at that end, my mind was fixating on the far end where it's a couple inches away from meeting. Now to see how much of that frame is clear of glass, so I can drill screw holes....Nice boat overall, but one can see where Bayliner took shortcuts to keep the costs down. Crappy bilge (non-automatic 500gph, with corrugated hose), no storage bins or nets, no latches, poor port "cooler" lid design, no hinge for ski locker door, ski locker could be bigger, slow to drain....That being said, we are pretty happy with it, and I can address most, if not all, of the issues myself.
              Another idea would be (again, if it's well supported) is to replace the rubber window bumper/stop with that catch. Of course, it would need to line up correctly. I don't remember if my old Bayliner's stop lined up with the frame (when opened) or not.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....JPG[/img]

Comment

As for flexing, on my boat at least, that center section merely sits loosely, I don't see how it would add to significant structural rigidity. Anyway, for the very, and I do mean very, long stretches of minimum wake zones (essentially all of the Broward county Intracoastal waterway), letting the breeze through is quite necessary in the summer.

Mocoondo wrote:
                The walkthru windshield is meant to be closed and secured while underway. It is hard on the hinge for it to be open and it also allows the two outside panes to flex excessively. My boat even has a factory placard which states that the window shall be closed while underway.

Comment

JeffBowser wrote:
                  As for flexing, on my boat at least, that center section merely sits loosely, I don't see how it would add to significant structural rigidity. Anyway, for the very, and I do mean very, long stretches of minimum wake zones (essentially all of the Broward county Intracoastal waterway), letting the breeze through is quite necessary in the summer.
                  At no wake speed is one thing. I tend to keep mine open as well to get air through. While up on plane, it stays closed. It's just not designed to be open while underway. It's kinda like leaving the hood open on your car while you're driving down the highway. Can it be done? Sure. But it is very tough on the equipment. Those window frames are only held together by a few pop rivets or sheet metal screws ... and then god forbid it accidentally slams closed. Good luck replacing the walk-thru panel after the glass shatters.
                  Mocoondo
                  2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
                  Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
                  MMSI: 338091755

Comment

Truthfully, I'd sooner not have a windshield at all, but the deck boat designs were not within the size and weight limits I imposed on myself. Thanks for your input, though, it is worthy of consideration.

Mocoondo wrote:
                    At no wake speed is one thing. I tend to keep mine open as well to get air through. While up on plane, it stays closed. It's just not designed to be open while underway. It's kinda like leaving the hood open on your car while you're driving down the highway. Can it be done? Sure. But it is very tough on the equipment. Those window frames are only held together by a few pop rivets or sheet metal screws ... and then god forbid it accidentally slams closed. Good luck replacing the walk-thru panel after the glass shatters.

Comment

Working...
                    X