Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 175 - Exhaust Question-gctid378457

Hi All,

Just got a general question, I have a Bayliner 175, and have only owned it for a short period of time. My question is, "Does everyone get a black silt on the transom after use?' I was wondering if this is normal, it is not super heavy, but enough to be noticeable?

Thanks....hope everyone is having a great day on the water!

Cheers

TaG80

i did on most my boats not real bad. take a picture and post it to see how bad it is. most boats run a little rich

Comment

i don't get that on mine... mine's a 2011, take a pic of what you are talking about and we might be able to assist better

Comment

I do on mine but I think it might be the lake cause some lakes I don't get any thing, I think the more boats the worse, Thats my opinion, but I could be wrong on mine its on the far sides not really where the outdrive are

Comment

Around here, it's called the 'Mercruiser scum line'. Everyone I know including me gets it, except for those who have VP outdrives. I used to be one of those guys who teased others, but now I have a Merc and get it too. Part of my 'stop at the beach' routine is a quick wipedown of the transom. No harm no foul :-)

Comment

Yep, I get it as well but not too bad.

if Im am skiing it tends to be not so bad, i think that is because you stop start alot and the waterline changes often enough to wash it off.

Comment

TaG80, I am glad you posted this. I just bought a like-new 2006 175br and have had it out once on one of the bluest, cleanest lakes in the Sierra Nevada. Yep, I had the exhaust scum, but it cleaned off easily with NuFinish wax. Must be normal. Lets just enjoy our "new" boats.

Comment

When I got back yesterday for a spin on the water I took these photos to show my exhaust line. It's been pretty normal after every run since I have owned it and it just wipes off very easy with a damp rag and a bit of soap. Never bothered me.

http://www.bayphotos.com.au/miscellaneous/exhaust

http://www.bayphotos.com.au/miscellaneous/exhaust2

Comment

TaG80 wrote:
                  Hi All,

Just got a general question, I have a Bayliner 175, and have only owned it for a short period of time. My question is, "Does everyone get a black silt on the transom after use?' I was wondering if this is normal, it is not super heavy, but enough to be noticeable?

Thanks....hope everyone is having a great day on the water!

Cheers

TaG80
                  If you didn't, then you would be the first!

The exhaust exits from the center of the prop, and lingers right where you are concerned when you are idling. We all have to deal with this....

Let not your heart be troubled, and just have "Happy boating"!
                  Boating Supplies

Comment

Thanks all, not at all worried, figured it would be a common characteristic, and thank you to all who have shared there experiences.

Comment

Bay Cruise wrote:
                      When I got back yesterday for a spin on the water I took these photos to show my exhaust line. It's been pretty normal after every run since I have owned it and it just wipes off very easy with a damp rag and a bit of soap. Never bothered me.

http://www.bayphotos.com.au/miscellaneous/exhaust

http://www.bayphotos.com.au/miscellaneous/exhaust2
                      Yes mine looks like that too but I get some on the keel too or the bottom of the hull in just a few places, I was thinking that most is on the stern because you get alot of back wash there

Comment

looks like it's worse with the new beer-belly type transom. Mine has the old style straight version and I haven't seen it yet but I have to admit that I never looked for it either. Was working on the trailer lights today (finally have LED's and even better all functional) and would have seen it as I never wipe it down. There's some white stuff on the outdrive but that's from the very high calcium content of the lake water.

Comment

There's some white stuff on the outdrive but that's from the very high calcium content of the lake water.

Thats from the gear box getting hot while on plane and when you sit is back down into the water it solitifys. But yes mostly from minerals in water as well. i put on a drive shower on my outdrive which made this go away. Got tired to scrubbing it off. LOL! Plus keeps the drive cooler while up on plane.

Comment

the water hardness around here is extremely high. Just the bit of water which sticks to the drive when I put the boat back on the trailer is enough to form little white crumbles on the drive and the hull. Fortunately that stuff doesn't really stick and you can just clean it off with a towel.

The white film on the top needs buffing. May have to look into a drive shower, I think there were different models available for the alpha 1.

Comment

Working...
                            X