Where to mount trim tabs .-gctid653226

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to mount trim tabs .-gctid653226

I have a 97 capri 1750 and want to put trim tabs on it , but it seems they mount in the same area the transom straps would go. Any suggestions ?

Wondering why you'd need trim tabs on a 1750? You must be short on power. You are right about the tie down straps likely being in the same area where the tabs would go. They would have to be moved if you really want the tabs.
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Been doing some reading and everyone says they help when pulling tubes .

Comment

To be the most effective, the trim tabs should be as far from the center line of the hull as possible.

You have to take into consideration the location of transducers, tie down straps, and the boarding ladder..

Post a picture of the transom of your boat, it will be easier to get ideas from others.

Just a quick thought, see if it is possible to use your transom tie down straps in a criss cross type of fashion.

Also, would it be possible to relocate the eyelets on the trailer for the tie down straps.

Posting a picture would be a big help.

Good Luck.
        Gregg
        2006 225 BR
        XT Package
        5.0 MPI
        Alpha I Gen II
        39.41130 N
        76.35131W

Comment

"Chesapeake" post=653532 wrote:
          To be the most effective, the trim tabs should be as far from the center line of the hull as possible.

You have to take into consideration the location of transducers, tie down straps, and the boarding ladder..

Post a picture of the transom of your boat, it will be easier to get ideas from others.

Just a quick thought, see if it is possible to use your transom tie down straps in a criss cross type of fashion.

Also, would it be possible to relocate the eyelets on the trailer for the tie down straps.

Posting a picture would be a big help.

Good Luck.
          I had to relocate the eyelets farther up the trailer to get the proper angle on the straps so it will not interfere with the tabs

[attachment]15410 wrote:
          image_2015-05-31.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]15410 wrote:
          image_2015-05-31.jpg[/attachment]

Attached files

Comment

Post #16 of this thread shows what I did: http://baylinerownersclub.org/index....0eics-on-a-185

I wouldn't change the trim tabs from their ideal location to avoid moving the trailer tie downs. You want the tabs 3-4" from the chine, as the father they are away from the center of the boat, the more effective they will be.

You have 3 choices - Relocate the mount points on the trailer, relocate the tie down hooks on the boat, or use a transom strap that goes over the gunwhales. I chose to relocate the mount points on the trailer. I simply replaced the bolts that hold the bunks on my trailer with 2 galvanized solid eye hooks rated for 1,800lbs each. If you choose to do new hooks, make sure you watch their ratings and how you use them. An eye hook loses all of its strength when its pulled from the side

As to having trim tabs on a 1750, they'll be the best upgrade you can do. Being that small boats don't weigh much and they have a small footprint, even the slightest chop or change in weight distribution can make the ride uncomfortable. Trim tabs made a world of difference on my 185. If you're only having troubles pulling a tube, you might be better off looking in to a better pitched prop. Your boat shouldn't have a problem pulling a tube even with a few adults on board.

Comment

prop is on order , 4 blade 19p . I will see what that does then add the smart tabs . Thanks for your input !

Comment

Working...
              X