Pinging-gctid652798

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinging-gctid652798

Just broke in my engine I built last year. So for the first time started too run it past 3000. It pings using the mid grade no ethenol fuel. I'm assuming it my centrifugal advance coming on as most I have seen start advance about there. So does anyone know where I can find a shop with a distributor dyno? Or should I just buy a light with adv on it? I am in Western wa. north end. Thanks and enjoy

Your idea of putting a timing light on will give you a good idea of how much to advance your timing. At least see where it lines up with the timing mark on the crank pulley. Hope you have luck.

Comment

A regular timing light works fine and you can test the advance on the hard.

Hook it up, and have someone throttle the engine up while you watch the timing mark advance on the flywheel. It should continue to move until over 4000 rpm will it will max out at 32-36* depending on exactly which 4-cylinder it is. If it's hitting full advance before that, that is your problem and you'll need to find new springs for the advance mechanism, or another distributor. The springs are really hard to find unfortunately and the one guy I found online that rebuilds them isn't sharing any info.

Comment

Oh this is my bad, for some reason I thought the scale ran out before 35. I just went and looked and guess what, It doesn't so I can do just what your said. Thanks for the nudge.

Comment

Yes, your timing is coming in too early and likely causing the pinging. I had trouble with this with a prior boat.....actually the same boat you have but I had an AQ131a and 275.

It would get past the stumbling point though and take off happily, but if I tried to mill along at ~3000 rpm it was not happy. I ended up transferring my pertronix to another used distributor and it was fine then. One of the reasons I converted to the electronic ignition is I've found the life of the distributor and advance mechanism is much longer when I dump a capful of oil into it, which would probably foul the oem points though.

Comment

Working...
          X