Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element for near shore use in Florida-gctid651302

Hi all, newb to the forum,

Considering the purchase of a 2015 Element with 75 HP. Most of what I am looking at using the boat for is protected waters (lagoon, lakes and rivers herein FL), but I would like to find a boat to take out in a near shore area. To define "near shore area', on the west coast of Florida there is an area for scalloping. Most of the time I have been out there, it has been flat. You will see boats of all kinds out there. Everything through the range of jon boats, jet ski's airboats, bow-riders, flats boats and so on.

Another area of Florida I would like to use the Element in would be the Keys. Mainly Key Largo. This would be on flat days of course, but here in FL you know storms can crop up most any summer afternoon.

So with this limited information, do you think the Element would be a good choice?

Thanks,

CaseyG

We have an Element and take it out on the Sound and inland bays here along the Emerald Coast and it does fine. We have not had it in the Gulf yet, but later in the season when the Gulf is like a lake, I would think it would do just as well as it does in the Sound.

Comment

Taz,

Your area is about like mine when it comes to the inland water ways (Space Coast here). Your access to the open water is just a little nicer. :cheer:

Thanks for the reply.

CaseyG

Comment

"caseyg2" post=651302 wrote:
        Hi all, newb to the forum,

Considering the purchase of a 2015 Element with 75 HP. Most of what I am looking at using the boat for is protected waters (lagoon, lakes and rivers herein FL), but I would like to find a boat to take out in a near shore area. To define "near shore area', on the west coast of Florida there is an area for scalloping. Most of the time I have been out there, it has been flat. You will see boats of all kinds out there. Everything through the range of jon boats, jet ski's airboats, bow-riders, flats boats and so on.

Another area of Florida I would like to use the Element in would be the Keys. Mainly Key Largo. This would be on flat days of course, but here in FL you know storms can crop up most any summer afternoon.

So with this limited information, do you think the Element would be a good choice?

Thanks,

CaseyG
        Like the rest of us, your going to be ever vigilant of your personal and vessel limitations, watching closely for changing conditions, including weather and be guided likewise. While I like to fish off the west coast of Vancouver Island, I am extremely vigilant, and consider worst case scenarios and limit risks through maintenance, watching forecasts, wind direction and go out either with others. Even the big guys have to (should) consider these factors. I think you'll be fine.
        Mike & Dixi
        2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
        Closed Cooling

Comment

I think it's my cautiousness that has me questioning the boats capabilities. I am sure the boat will handle more than I will. My boating experience has gone stale over the last several years and it has been many years since I have worked a boat in this length.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Its your cautiousness that will keep you out of trouble. I little humility goes a long way here. Start slow, listen to those who may be in the know, especially those who also boat in the areas you want to go. Take a course or two. Let yourself get over the initial apprehension while getting reacquainted with this wonderful pastime, all the while knowing boating is a lifetime learning curve.
            Mike & Dixi
            2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
            Closed Cooling

Comment

Just sold our SeaDoo spark and put a deposit down on the element with a 75. We're going to be using it for scalloping quite frequently. Don't anticipate any issues.

Comment

Working...
              X