For those that trailer (and like Fords)...-gctid650702

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that trailer (and like Fords)...-gctid650702

2016 Ford F150's will have a special back up feature that allows the driver to back up the trailer using a knob on the dash.

its called "Pro trailer Backup Assist" :

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/ford-ma...-turning-knob/

Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Oh Doug. That is just because Ford owners don't know how to drive..............

Hehhe
    Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

A solution for a problem that doesn't exist. What's the difference between learning how to turn the wheel versus turning the knob?
      Jeff & Tara
      (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
      "Sea Ya"
      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

If this wasn't a problem, you wouldn't see posts from people asking if they should have their wife back the truck down the ramp or be in the boat. This looks like they are trying to idiot proof backing a trailer. My wife cant back up her minivan, but she could probably do this.

Comment

It seems like a good idea, but just like automatic transmissions and the new Mercury joystick, I think it will destroy an "art form" ....

The thing that I find funny is the video of the engineer demoing the product shows him coming in on a 45 degree angle to the lake. At any lake I have launched at, this would entirely block the other lane for someone else to launch (it does the same in his video.) I can nail the right half of the launch ramp on the first try by manually doing it ..... This guy is trying to show the control of this tool and he can't even get the boat on one side of the launch. The url above isn't working for me, so I'll post the link to the video if someone is interested: https://www.facebook.com/detroitfree...3435399280530/

I'm glad I was able to learn how to drive a manual transmission, parallel park a full-size pickup in downtown traffic, and back a trailer the good old fashioned way. I think learning all of these things really teach a driver how to control and maneuver a vehicle.

Comment

That's cute but I hate fly by wire stuff. I think that I'll stick with my mirrors. It's worked well for a lot of years.

Comment

Doug, you thinking about getting a new truck?? I have first dibs on the old one!!!!
              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
              1998 3055 Ciera
              (yes, a 1998)
              Previous boat: 1993 3055
              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
              Sea Doo XP
              Sea Doo GTI SE
              Life is short. Boats are cool.
              The family that plays together stays together.
              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I for one welcome our new overlords...

Comment

"badash" post=650796 wrote:
                  This looks like they are trying to idiot proof [...]
                  +1 That's what car manufacturers have been doing for the last 100 years. ABS, stability control, smart steering, now this.
                  Rafael Figueira
                  1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

Comment

"itsabowtime2" post=650809 wrote:
                    Doug, you thinking about getting a new truck?? I have first dibs on the old one!!!!
                    Nope... not a chance... thanks for the thought... The dealer makes offers every time I bring her in for an oil change. They offer 10%+ over book... something about that 7.3 I believe...
                    Doug ;}
                    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

"Go Aweigh2452" post=650862 wrote:
                      "itsabowtime2" post=650809 wrote:
                      Nope... not a chance... thanks for the thought... The dealer makes offers every time I bring her in for an oil change. They offer 10%+ over book... something about that 7.3 I believe...
                      I get that from the local Ram dealer. 2012 Laramie with 20,000. They sweat everytime they see it (Not for work, only problem I ever had was the light under the mirror flickered) But I do go in every few months to see what they have.
                      Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I would love to have this gadeget on my truck. It takes me a good 10-12 tries to get the boat right on the ramp. I usually do it on empty days with no pressure from other boaters.

I have watched tons of video regarding the subject but nothing can get thru my thick skull. I just dont have this talent.

Comment

"scot34" post=651109 wrote:
                          I would love to have this gadeget on my truck. It takes me a good 10-12 tries to get the boat right on the ramp. I usually do it on empty days with no pressure from other boaters.

I have watched tons of video regarding the subject but nothing can get thru my thick skull. I just dont have this talent.
                          It might help when backing to keep you steering hand at 6 o'clock and turn your wheel in the direction you want to steer the trailer...
                          Doug ;}

sigpic

Comment

"scot34" post=651109 wrote:

I feel for you Scot. I can back up OK, but still feel nervous.

Keep practicing, and try the suggestions from BOC. My best success comes from using my mirrors but also looking out the back window. If using mirrors only I can get in ugly mess!

Comment

No thanks. What happens when it stops working while backing down. It is a Ford.

Comment

Working...
                              X