Towing Element on Highway...-gctid649519

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing Element on Highway...-gctid649519

Good morning everyone ... Hope all is good... looking for some advice (please) on highway trailing & I think a new cover...

We have a 2015 Element with tow arch. The dealer does not recommend trailering

On the highway with the OEM snap cover as the high winds 70 mph could possibly cause a snap to come loose and tear the cover & cause damage to the gel coat from the canvas snaps banging around.

When the dealer trailers their boats ... They remove

covers & cushions ...

With all that being said ... I would like to purchase a " Trailer Cover" that would go over the " cockpit" cover.

It looks like I would have to drop the Bimini / tow bar to accomplish this.

Any experience / thoughts ?

Thanks Roger
    1987 3270MY, 135 Hino engines

2015 Element ( Lime Green) Limited Edition 75 HP Mercury.

Roger, Lake Saint Clair, Michigan
    Fair Winds & Following Seas

I don't lower my wakeboard tower for trailering, and I don't put the cover over the wakeboard tower. I do lower or remove the convertible top (no bimini). I use as many bungees to secure the cover as I can to minimize loose material and flapping around. I cut slits on each side ot the cover at the forward uprights of the wakeboard tower so that the cover isn't bunched up on top of the hull.
    1998 Capri 1950CL
    3 Liter MerCruiser
    Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
    2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

I purchased a bungee net very similar to this at harbor freight. I use this whenever we hit the highway.

Comment

"TommyJodi" post=649768 wrote:
        I purchased a bungee net very similar to this at harbor freight. I use this whenever we hit the highway.
        I own the same type of bungee net and for the life of me I cannot begin to untangle it. :silly:
        ~Joe
        2015 Element XL
        Mercury 115

Comment

"Banana Slug" post=649866 wrote:

I own the same type of bungee net and for the life of me I cannot begin to untangle it. :silly:
          Something to keep you occupied when not on the water....

Comment

Back in 1986 I bought a new Searay 18.5 ft. bowrider. The dealer had a local canvas shop make a trailering cover for it. This covered the windshield, bimini stored, and extended down below the rub rail. It had a drawstring (1/4 inch rope) in the hem, and that was tightened using a turnbuckle at the stern. It also had grommets for tie-down to the trailer frame, about 5 or 6 on each side if I recall. It was all made of Sunbrella, and had reinforcing patches on all the rubbing points. I towed that boat at least 20,000 miles, mostly at highway speeds of 70-80 mph, over the 10 years I owned it, and it was still in great shape when I sold it. Never left a mark on the boat either.
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ
            sigpic
            2000 Bayliner 2858
            "GETAWAY"
            MMSI: 338094599
            In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

What is that bungee net doing for you? Is that so the cushions can't blow out?
              1993 Bayliner 3058 Cierra
              Twin 4.3L V6's
              Alpha 1 Gen II Drives
              Moored in Everett, WA

Comment

That picture looks familiar! Yes, the net keeps the cushions from leaving the boat when being transported to and from the water. It is a challenge to keep it from tangling, but I have found if you lay it next to the boat and spread it out first, it's much easier to get it back on.

Comment

Working...
                X