Handheld VHF?-gctid375314

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handheld VHF?-gctid375314

Anybody have one? Not a big enough boat to mount a full size and antenna I don't think. Is a handheld workable?

They work decent, I have a floating one for my dinghy.

Comment

Two items must have

1) lithium battery for long lasting charge

2) submersible

S/B about $100 standard HX280S is mine and it is great - full 5 watts on 16 but limited distance

Comment

I bought a Uniden handheld for just over $100, but I wanted to make sure I got one that floats (evidently, not all do). It seems to work fine, and no complaints. The battery holds a charge for quite a while.

The big issue is range, and handhelds can't compete with installed. I'm sure more knowledgeable people than me can give you specifics on that. My boat is small (175 BR), but I do some boating on the Chesapeake Bay and am leaning toward installing a VHF and then mounting a smallish attena on top of the wakeboard tower I plan to put on sometime this summer. I'm still on the fence about this, but I figure if I ever really need a VHF for help, I want it to be able to reach out far enough so that someone actually hears the call. That's much less of an issue for the boating I do on rivers and lakes.

Kent

Comment

I use a hand held. I have thought about mounting a VHF on board, but I have not been satisfied with locations for it to be mounted so far. Most hand helds will only reach out to 'line of sight'. For me that is just fine, 99% of the time when I am out on the water, other vessels are in sight (maybe 8 - 10 miles away). I would not rely solely on a hand held vhf coastal use.
          Gregg
          2006 225 BR
          XT Package
          5.0 MPI
          Alpha I Gen II
          39.41130 N
          76.35131W

Comment

I carry a Uniden handheld. Use it occasionally to communicate with lockmasters; occasionally with other vessels. I think I use it more to listen to weather radio than anything else.
            Mocoondo
            2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
            Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
            MMSI: 338091755

Comment

Working...
            X