Reinforcing Fiberglass for Wakeboard Tower-gctid372831

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinforcing Fiberglass for Wakeboard Tower-gctid372831

So, I will be buying a wakeboard tower sometime soon. I've been reading that I need to reinforce the fiberglass for the brackets to get it up to 3/8 of an inch. Has anyone done this? Any tips. I have a 175 BR -- it looks like it will be pretty tight work to get up where the bolts will be -- I'm just trying to figure out how this can be done.

Thanks!

Kent

Considering Bayliner has the Flight series, I doubt they're using a different cap.

I have not heard of this. Seems reasonable to make sure you have a good backing plate to spread the load, but I can't think of a reason to build up the 'glass.

some of our boarding experts should be along soon.....

Comment

Here's what was posted on the Monster Tower site:

Most competition ski and wakeboard boats, as well as more expensive boat brands like Sea Ray and Cobalt, have decks which are at least 3/8" thick and do not need to be reinforced. If your deck is thinner than 3/8" you should reinforce it with additional fiberglass to build it up to 3/8". Fiberglass kits are available at many online stores including www.WestMarine.com, www.iboats.com in addition to local boat supply companies. Some of our customers have added a 1/4" or 3/8" piece of plywood under the deck attached with 3M Model 5200 Marine adhesive and then covered this with fiberglass. This is the best possible solution as it adds significant strength for the mounting location. This would be recommended for Bayliner, and similar brands where the fiberglass thickness may be closer to 1/4" or 3/16" thick.

-- Kent

Comment

Kent,

I recently did this myself. I used starboard as backing plates with PL adhesive to glue it to the hull. The way I did it (there are a lot of opinions) was to cut backing plates as large as I could that would fit-the area on the inside of my hull was not totally flat in the stern so what I did was I gooped the adhesive on the backside of the boards pretty thick and only tightened down the bolts about 80%. I let it sit overnight so that the adhesive would somewhat set up to fill the curvature of the inner hull and then tightened them down the rest of the way. I cannot remember the exact sizes of my backing plates by I know my rear plates were like 7x12 or something huge. I had plenty of starboard and the bigger the better. I have read about using "structural peanut butter" instead of the PL adhesive, which is probably a much better choice, but I found out about it too late...

Here is a link with very good discussion on tower installation. The guy with user name oops discusses the peanut butter and knows his stuff

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=540361

Comment

Thanks -- that is a great discussion on the installation, and I feel better just reading that. I will definitely check out the peanut butter -- did you fiberglass over the plywood? That seems to be what the manufacturer suggests. Also, when I look at pictures of the tower installed on a 175, the feet are attached to the side surface of the gunwale, and I haven't measured but it looks like I'll only be able to fit plywood a few inches wide in that space, though it can be a bit longer. So the peanut butter reinforcement seems definitely the way to go, because there is some curve to just about any location on the 175.

Thanks!

Kent

Comment

I didn't do anything special when I installed my tower 3 years ago - but have noticed a couple spiderwebs coming from the front left mount. i'll be adding some 1/4" plywood and with adhesive to stiffen it up a bit. On my boat there wasn't much room behind the front mounts, especially the front right because of all the wiring and cables running through that area.

Comment

I did not fiberglass over my backing plates. I have zero experience with fiberglass so I stayed away from that. It would definitely be a good idea to do if I had any idea what I was doing haha.

As for feet mounting, I wanted to put my front feet on the horizontal surface as i felt it would have been more stable, but the hinged window of the walk through would have hit the front port side tower leg due to where I would have to mount it-so I went with all 4 feet on the vertical surface. the backing plates in the front are smaller than the stern plates due to limited space just as you are talking about. It is ok if your backing plates are rectangular vs square, it will still help disperse the load.

What tower are you looking to get?

Comment

I'd like to try to fiberglass the backing plates, but I won't have a lot of room to work. I have a little sailboat that also needs a bit of fiberglass work, so I may try to learn how on the supports -- zero experience describes me on most things, but I'm willing to give a try. I'll do the backing plates and "peanut butter" and then decide.

I am on a tight budget, so $800 is my limit. Right now I'm looking at two towers:

http://bigairwaketowers.com/towers/vapor/

or

http://shop.monstertower.com/p-19-mt...ard-tower.aspx

I'm not in a real rush, so I'm still reading a lot of posts about towers and looking around.

Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

http://bigairwaketowers.com/towers/vapor/

This one looks like the same one I've got. Seems to get sold under a dozen different names.

Comment

The Vapor tower is the same thing as the aerial Airborn tower that we have. I bought it in September from h20sportswarehouse.com and it came with 2 free racks (each one holds 2 boards) and was free shipping. If you are not in a big hurry wait till Sept and the prices and package deals of these things will come down significantly. h20sportswarehouse was awesome, they even gave me a huge discount on the tower mounted mirror and would have given me a discount on anything else I wanted too had I needed it. Just a thought for you.

Comment

I am very interested in this thread as I'm also looking into putting a tower on my 2006 175xt.....

When I spoke to the guys at "Liquid Indy" - http://www.liquidindy.com/catalogue_product.asp?pid=47 They told me that to re-enforce a thin hulled boat like a byliner they get ply wood as large as they can fit behind the mounting point and use CAR BOG to glue it to the hull.... He said use LOTS of bog so that is oozes all out of the edges from the ply so that their are no air pockets.

I was also looking at a Monster tower but have decided that they are too larger tower for a 175, they are VERY bulky and when you see pictures with one fitted to a 175 you'll know what I mean.

Comment

I'd be suprised if you had to reinforce anything on a 2006 175xt since you could get a factory tower on that boat.

Might be worth a coule extra bucks to just buy the factory tower

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAYLINER-175...0574fd&vxp=mtr

Comment

What other towers are you looking at? Here's another question I have. I was looking at the Ascent tower which looked streamlined and would fit well on a 175:

http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/v/...-ascent-pa.asp

But the Airborne tower has gotten good comments on the forum (and as chuck says it seems the same as the vapor):

http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/v/...irborne-pa.asp

The airborne tower has extra support tubing that runs along the side of the boat, then the tower attaches to that support tubing. That extra tubing would give a heavier look on a small boat like the 175, but I am wondering if it helps with reducing stress on the points of contacts. Anyone have thoughts or experiences with that? Any other suggestions for a tower that would be better suited for a smaller boat?

Thanks!

Kent

Comment

Before I ordered a tower I spoke with the guys at h2osportswarehouse about their various towers. He told me that the structure of the airborne tower makes it their most sturdy tower due to the extra supports-more or less extra pieces-which in turn gives you overall increased stability. When he told me that it make my decision pretty easy. Now granted I do have a biased opinion because this is the same tower I have, BUT I thought this tower looked sweet before he told me that haha.

Will you be looking at adding speakers/lights to the tower? If you do then the more you beef up the feet locations the better.

Comment

kent83 wrote:

http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/v/...-ascent-pa.asp

But the Airborne tower has gotten good comments on the forum (and as chuck says it seems the same as the vapor):
                              Funny thing is that mine was not sold as an Aerial either - mine was from Liquid Audio. Still pretty sure that it is the same tower being sold under numerous vendor names.

Comment

Working...
                              X