Instrument Cluster-gctid576276

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument Cluster-gctid576276

(The following is my opinion only and restricted only to my boat.. This is meant in no way to insult your boat which I am sure is just great) In a nut shell my 1986 instrument cluster sucks. Square? Really I thought we tried to avoid that.. I must say I hate it. With that said you probably know by now I don't care for it. I would like to replace it with new (or used) ideally, chrome bezel white faced gauges. I can figure out my mounting later although I do have a few ideas. I like the ones that are in the late 90s? or 2000s? Has anyone seen maybe packages (you can always dream), or just a good place to get some? I'll probably go with, volt, temp, oil pres, hrs, tach, and speedo. I've seen some used, but just old, or spendy, so far. As for cost cheap is gd, but they are looking pretty bad almost worse every day. So I might go for more pain. Maybe you could even talk me into mine? Well let me know What you may have seen. Thanks for the read and happy boating!

Well now I know what to do. The wife looked at them and said they gave the boat a different look than a car. That said they are starting to look better. Maybe it was the JD?

you can look around here : marineengine.com

many places on the web to find gauge sets

Comment

As the senders are standardized (OK, different in North America and the rest of the world) you can exchange the gauges to any type you like best. As these are all low cost models I wouldn't go used. A complete 6-gauge set can be had for ~$150 if you look around and I agree, they will all look better than the square ones they decided on in the 80's.

Comment

I found some of these sets. I'm lookin at one now for about 275. i have seen them down to 155. looks like its going to happen the wife is on-board!

Comment

I realize it's a matter of taste, but from what I started with to what I have now... works for me and my '83

AL

Attached files

Comment

I just now saw this. That looks really nice. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

The gauge FACES are square. Look behind the dash and you will see the cutouts and guts are standardized, since Faria (a very well known gauge manufacturer) actually made those gauges for Bayliner.

In short, easilly and cheaply replaced, and there's a pretty healthy market on eBay for your existing gauges since they are NLA and some people like the looks. (Don't hate, I am one of them).

Yours can be brought back, since the lenses are plastic and can be polished/wet sanded like any plastic can. Additionally, between 1986 and 1992ish, Bayliner used these same basic gauges with different internals. So if you don't like those, you could switch to the 1988 style:

1989 - 1991 analog style:

Later, same style, black on white with orange needles:

You could even switch to these (mid 1990s, I believe around 1994ish):

The world (and eBay) is your oyster here. Once you select and install your new gauges, eBay off the old ones. You should be close to cost-neutral when done.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I just saw this THANKS. I have bought Faria, Cheeapeake SS White. Didn't get it done during the winter so I'm looking at doing it soon. So this is just a bolt in? If so the job just got moved up. Thanks

Comment

It should be, if you got the right replacement sizes. Thankfully the holes are round for the star wars gages.

Comment

I have two birthdays this weekend but still might get to it. it sounds like it'll be a quckie. I'll probably shoot the dash gray for the moment and see what to do latter. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X