Trolling motor for 175??-gctid559898

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trolling motor for 175??-gctid559898

Has anyone setup a Mini Kota trolling motor on a '88 1750? I have the motor already but not really sure the best way to mount.. this isn't really a fishing boat, but dammit I'm a fisherman!

Any suggestions or pictures would be awesome!

Thanks guys!

My 1804 has a mount for a Minn Kota 80lb on the bow as shown. If your motor has the capability, I HIGHLY recommend the co-pilot wireless controller add-on (or equivalent)

Comment

No fair! You have a fishing boat! :P

I too am not sure how I'm going to mount one on my 86 1950br, there is almost nowhere flat up there to mount to; moving the nav lights is almost going to be a requirement

(random internet pic)

Comment

it's all a question what you want the motor for. If it is for fishing you have to make a bracket for the bow as that's the place it should be. I'm not fishing and have mine mounted at the rear as it is much easier to mount something to the stern platform. To me it's just a way to go into places my main prop wouldn't survive or to get back to the ramp if the engine decides to take a day off.

The PO of my boat made a plywood platform he could lay over all the seats in the bow (filling the entire bow) and mounted the motor on it with some plywood spacers. Keeps the seats clean and when not used you can take it out. He carpeted it and it looked good but I want my bow area....

Comment

I think you should be able to see the outlet for my forward nav light (post mount) just behind the bracket. Reduces the footprint needed for the light so might open up a bit more space for the bracket.

Comment

Dutch, on the 175's there isn't such a large pool table in the bow and it isn't flat at all like yours. You either have to fabricate a bracket from aluminium (or aluminum here) or whatever material you like to first get a flat and large enough mounting surface. These trolling motors are more efficient if mounted at the bow and also give you better steering. I looked hard at it and wasn't willing to do all that work so I simply installed it with a mount to the rear platform as close to the OD as possible without interference. Works OK but front would most likely be better. Somewhere in this section someone posted nice pictures of his home made bracket but I can't find it right now.

Alternative is the mentioned sub-floor above the front cushions as I mentioned below. Some pictures of that solution are also somewhere in here, most likely in the "Small Bowriders....Lets see what you have and have done !" part.

Comment

Dutch, on the 175's there isn't such a large pool table in the bow and it isn't flat at all like yours.

:lol: :lol: Indeed, it's always easier with more real estate!

Comment

Hey guys, Thanks for the opinions.. yeah there definitely is no space to mount on the bow. I'm not a big fan of making permanent modifications to the boat as to preserve its resale value.

I may make an aluminum bracket with rubber pads underneath to hook over the bow edge. We'll see.. I'm also building a deck, maintain a long distance relationship, and trying to enjoy a late night with the boys here and there.. haha doesn't leave much free time for fabrication. :P

Comment

I found this here that someone did. Good fab work!

Attached files

Comment

Very nice work indeed!

Comment

I'm probably going to do the same thing for my 175 but in addition to trolling it can also be a small kicker to move the boat if the engine won't start. The dedicated trolling battery can also be a back-up battery.

If you fish on it ... it's a fishing boat ...
                      '03 245 5.7/BIII & '06 175

Comment

"Don9" post=561462 wrote:
                        I'm probably going to do the same thing for my 175 but in addition to trolling it can also be a small kicker to move the boat if the engine won't start. The dedicated trolling battery can also be a back-up battery.

If you fish on it ... it's a fishing boat ...
                        +1 on that, the only difference between a fishing boat and a non fishing boat is one doesn't have a fisherman on it.

Comment

I was thought of the same thing for a while. The only things I could think of were to sacrifice the swim step and mount one there, or buy a troll plate for the big motor. I got to that yet though since mine still doesnt idle as well as it should.

Comment

As the newer Capris...1999 and up do not have a transom that is not capable of using a commercial mount ..I had one fabricated. Look at my posting of 4/14. I use both my 5 hp Merc kicker and a MinnKota Endura C2 42 inch shaft 55lb thrust motor off it. WORKS GREAT....I have a group 29 battery with a ACR and I've never had any issues!

Comment

I saw a YouTube on this.1700ls like mine.just look up YouTube on bow mount trolling motor.it well show you how he overcame the no flat spot.it's what I am going to do on mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X