Trailer hub inspection-gctid365708

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer hub inspection-gctid365708

I have a Bayliner 170 OB with a Karavan trailer. This trailer has Sure-Lube system. Dealer didn't really explain the exact steps for inspecting the hubs, as we are told to do often. The Karavan book and web site don't go into detail either. What I need to know are the exact steps I should do, and how often, to ensure the hubs are properly lubed. Thanks.

i pump grease in mine once mid season (till you see some come out, best to be doing while spinning the tire if possible) and again in the winterization process. i dont know if that is to much or to little, but when i take everything apart every fall i have never seen water intrusion or anything bad in my hubs/bearings.

FWIW, i launch in salt water.

Comment

If this trailer is new to you, I'd take no one's word at what condition these are in.

I would suggest pulling each hub and inspecting the bearings........ Look for yourself, and begin your season knowing that all is A-OK.

For a small trailer, bearings/seals are very inexpensive, and very easy to install.

If in good condition, clean them, pack them, and button it back up.

Now.... If you truly have an EZ Lube type hub (not hubs with Bearing Buddies), you can expect a full exchange of grease when using this system.

Do as StitchSC said, and raise the wheels off of the ground and turn them while you pump the new grease in.

This runs the rollers against the inner/outer races changing positions while the grease is entering.

You will always want to spin the hub while adding new grease.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

newboat wrote:
        I have a Bayliner 170 OB with a Karavan trailer. This trailer has Sure-Lube system. Dealer didn't really explain the exact steps for inspecting the hubs, as we are told to do often. The Karavan book and web site don't go into detail either. What I need to know are the exact steps I should do, and how often, to ensure the hubs are properly lubed. Thanks.
        If you don't know what a hub or bearings are suppose to look like take it to a trailer shop have them inspect just to be safe. I do and had just greased and one seized up on me any way on the interstate almost lost a wheel.

Comment

Working...
        X