Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 Bayliner Capri 1400 w/ Force 50hp and Holsclaw Trailer, transom saver????-gctid365037

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 Bayliner Capri 1400 w/ Force 50hp and Holsclaw Trailer, transom saver????-gctid365037

Hey everyone, like I stated i have a 1987 Bayliner Capri 1400 w/ Force 50hp and Holsclaw Trailer. Got everything very cheap and everything runs and works. Boat is in great shape. I did just put brand new wheel bearings on both sides of the axle on trailer, and replaced the small 8" tires with larger 12" tires. Added a brand new trailer coupler, and also new safety chains and trailer jack/dolley.

Anyways.... Ive heard some discussion on transom savers.... They sound like a "must have" to take strin off the transom, etc. Is there a particular unit that would be a best match for what I have? I have done some research and realize that a "Holsclaw" trailer is old and no longer made since the 80's, but from what Ive read they were very good trailers. Since they have springs, and shocks, make for a nice ride and pull well.

Also, the 50 Hp Force Outboard runs and is in great shape, but I have been thinking about repowering this boat with a brand new 50hp Evinrude E-tec motor which will have power tilt/trim...

All this being said, what transom saver would you guys reccomend, and would it be compatible with both motors?

Thanks, Dan

The type of transom saver that will work depends on how far from the transom the rearmost trailer cross-member is. Shop accordingly. Any one you buy will work with any motor.

The E-tecs are nice motors, but have you priced a new one?

Comment

NYBo wrote:
      The type of transom saver that will work depends on how far from the transom the rearmost trailer cross-member is. Shop accordingly. Any one you buy will work with any motor.

The E-tecs are nice motors, but have you priced a new one?
      Yep you could be in for a shock here, if you picked the full set up cheap you will find that a new motor will be worth more than you boat easily.

What you might find better is use you current 50Hp for a season then review your situation, it might be a more econonic option to upsize your whole set up boat motor and all.

Been there an done that. Built my first boat then brought a bigger one which was a little underpowered and thought about putting a new motor on then decided I would just go for the balanced package.

The 185 with the 19hp0 or 220hp is fantastic, big enough boat for what we want to do and power to burn. (family of five + freinds)

Comment

Upside to the 1400 is it fits in any garage. If you have a good running Force, the force is with you. Run the hell out of it. I am told if they are good.....great. If not, sonofa.......

Do the basic maintenance on the Force and run the heck out of that little bugger.....

Comment

If you want to put an Etec on, go for it, it is a great two stroke. Be sure to check the weight of the motor, the 90 hp is very close to the weight of the 90 hp Force, not sure on the 50. Repowering with the heavier 4 strokes could stress the transom, but you already have that figured out, thus the reason for the Etec choice, I would assume. The Force runs hard and has the torque, but when they blow, they blow. Not to mention how much gas they suck up compared to the Etec. I say this from personal experience.

As far as the transom saver, I tilt my 90 Etec all the way up, let it rest on one side and head to the lake, been doing that since 05 and no transom issues.

Let's see some pics of the 1400!

Comment

Replacing the Force with a E-TEC should cause no problems as the weight is around the same. You will have a ROCKET as the E-TEC is rated at the prop,the Force was rated at the crankshaft. You will have to play around with the prop pitch top get the proper performance out of the E-TEC. Remember to plug and reglass the old holes from the Force, as they probally will not match the E-TEC's...PICTURES!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys! I will post pics soon, ive been doin some work to the boat and the trailer. Looking great id say!

Comment

Working...
              X